Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #15
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
It's not unbelievable that the OE battery was just bad and gave it up early. Either have it replaced under warranty if you can...or, just buy an aftermarket battery.

If you're leaving it for extended periods, a battery tender isn't a bad idea.
Evergreen6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #16
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
That's what I felt as well but after seeing how many others on here have the same issue I just chalked it up to SNAFU. Now that I already have the solar charger I've just put it out of my mind unless it happens again with the solar charger.

yeah the charger is just a bandaid masking the problem at this point, I'd figure out a long term solution before it gets worse or causes problems. With all the sensitive electronics on these cars, a short could take out other components.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:35 AM   #17
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
its actually very normal for the battery to be dead after sitting for more then a week. The alt is only meant to maintain the battery not charge it. It will charge it some what but should be topped off with a trickle charger overnight if left for long periods of time. Op what is happening is your almost killing the battery then driving it some to get the charge back up then almost killing it again. Charge the battery with a trickle charger or take the battery to a parts store and they will charge it overnight and check it the next day. The dealer will do this too but you will have to leave the car with them.
Dealer keep the batteries maintained on the lot cars. there is no way a battery will keep a charge on a modern vehicle for 6mon.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #18
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
its actually very normal for the battery to be dead after sitting for more then a week. The alt is only meant to maintain the battery not charge it. It will charge it some what but should be topped off with a trickle charger overnight if left for long periods of time. Op what is happening is your almost killing the battery then driving it some to get the charge back up then almost killing it again. Charge the battery with a trickle charger or take the battery to a parts store and they will charge it overnight and check it the next day. The dealer will do this too but you will have to leave the car with them.
Dealer keep the batteries maintained on the lot cars. there is no way a battery will keep a charge on a modern vehicle for 6mon.

Thats true if you drive short trips. My wive's car used to slowly drain the battery even though she drove it to work daily, it was less than 2 miles and didn't have time to recoup the charge used to start the car...

But a car driven a good distance after sitting for a week would be a different story, thats why I asked how much he drove it on weekends. If he's putting a couple hundred miles on it over the weekend, and its not holding a charge for 5 days, something is wrong.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #19
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
OP, I would have the battery checked. I run a car lot and we crank all the vehicles once a week. If I have to jump off a car 2 weeks in a row, we replace the battery with cheap ass blims for $32.95. We then check the charging system, problem solved. Been doing that for 10 years.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #20
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
its actually very normal for the battery to be dead after sitting for more then a week. .

never happened on any car I've ever owned so I'm not sure how "normal" I'd consider it. I've never come back from vaca or some other extended trip and had to go out in the driveway and jump start cars.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 AM   #21
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
OP, I would have the battery checked. I run a car lot and we crank all the vehicles once a week. If I have to jump off a car 2 weeks in a row, we replace the battery with cheap ass blims for $32.95. We then check the charging system, problem solved. Been doing that for 10 years.
a lot of car manufactures do that too, the cheap batteries that is. they figure it's something your going to have to replace in a couple years anyways, so they buy cheap to save money.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:55 AM   #22
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Notice the issues are on later ones not early cars. Coincidence or is there a difference causing this to happen?

BTW, just got back from an 8 day business trip and the solar trickle worked great.,and it was >$100. My time is worth more than that.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:51 AM   #23
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
BTW, just got back from an 8 day business trip and the solar trickle worked great.,and it was >$100. My time is worth more than that.
Thats kinda like putting air in a leaky tire every week, I guess it'll get you around for awhile but If it was me I'd rather fix it permanently.

You're still under warranty aren't you?
Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 AM   #24
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
if it happens again then i would say you may have a drain issue.

however i purchased my wife a traverse the sales man had brought it up to the door before i got there. when i went to start it it was dead. it can happen. problem its i think they only warranty a factory battery for a year or so from purchase
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #25
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
if it happens again then i would say you may have a drain issue.

however i purchased my wife a traverse the sales man had brought it up to the door before i got there. when i went to start it it was dead. it can happen. problem its i think they only warranty a factory battery for a year or so from purchase
dealer replaced 4 year old battery on my Silverado for free. I did have a extended warranty though
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote