Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
How friggin difficult can this be ?!

I cannot decide , and its gotten to the point where I am getting pissed ! I want a new exhaust and there are too many video clips out there . One day I am thinking Magnaflow the next Borla S or ATAK , next day Corsa . DO I get Headers/Cats Tune ? Now I like a powerful car and I know a Catback wont offer more HP . With a Tune can there be trouble later on ? I am rambling here but I THINK I am going with the Borla S CB and a Halltech CAI for now , maybe headers and a tune later . Any Camaro5 Therapists out there ? Or maybe an ATAK , I dont know !
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Just get out the checkbook and start spending. All the cat-backs have their own distinct sound. You just have to pick one and go for it.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Only advice I have is to keep trudging through all the clips and threads until you find the setup that lights you up, then go with it. That may be the hardest part of modifying a car is the decision on what to go with...that and paying for it.

BTW, in order to add to your delima, don't forget to look at the Flowmaster and Doug Thorley offerings. Good luck!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
You can always get the headers/tune later down the road. I went with the Borla S love it, just wish they had the ATAK system available when I bought mine. If you want a sound that sounds really good, and sorta tame go with the S. If you want something a bit louder, but still quite when cruising get the ATAK. Later on down the road when I get headers I might just get the ATAK system as well.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
get headers first with stock mufflers for now that will really wake the car up like a real 30 hp gain. when you get a cat back then get headers your stuck with part of the cat back that you wont use anymore so thats wasting money. headers first then later get an axle back muffler system . then get a tune and you will have 50hp more than stock and your transmission will shift better.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
dmiller66
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Auto
You sound like my friend who has to have the most extreme everything! Just pick one and go with it.
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Are you concerned with keeping your warranty intact? If so, you might want to hold off on Headers and Tuning. I talked with Gateway Chevrolet the other day about mods, and they agreed that Cat-Back and a Cold-Air Intake are about all you can do without affecting the powertrain warranty.

I think I'm going to go with a New Era CAI, and still deciding on a Cat-Back...(pretty much the same dilema you're having). But I do like the offerings from Stainless Works, Kooks, and ARH!!! But you're right, the Borla ATAK and Magnaflow are good too. I think the best bet is just pick something that is going to last forever, and you'll be happy with for a long, long time!

Are you going to "Cruise Night" tonight???
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
do what klatterblast said.. get the headers and x pipe then if its not loud enough go for a cat back based on how loud you want it to be
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
DieselNuts
Spartan Performance

Drives: it like I stole it
A rep At American Racing told me that the most they have seen gained on a stock car with aftermarket catback was 3hp over the factory mufflers. Because of this, My cousin decided to go with long tubes, no cats with factory mufflers first. We were very skeptical of what it would sound like, but everyone was pleasantly surprised. Honestly, unless he decides to go with an STS turbo setup, I wouldn't touch the exhaust again. It sounds too good to go wasting money on different muffler setups.

Now if you are dead set on changing the mufflers, the best thing for you to do is to go to a camaro meet or a dyno day. That way you can hear different setups in person. Sound clips online never give you a true reading of what they really sound like. This is what I did when I had my 04 Cobra and I don't regret doing it at all.
DieselNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Mavtop
2SS CGM with IOT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM with IOT
Here's the best advice I can give you:

Don't panic.
Go slow research what you think you want, ask people here about their experiences with those products. Ask people if they have any problems or regrets. Worst case scenario you just blow your money and have major buyers remorse. Also having an idea of the end product goal is useful as people can help you with that.

For me I've been talking to tons of people, attending car shows, dyno days, local car club meets and have slowly been able to make up my mind on specific gear for my car. Also gave me a chance to save up money while I was doing research to get the gear I really wanted.

I hope this helps. Also I'm a psychiatrist.
Mavtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Are you concerned with keeping your warranty intact? If so, you might want to hold off on Headers and Tuning. I talked with Gateway Chevrolet the other day about mods, and they agreed that Cat-Back and a Cold-Air Intake are about all you can do without affecting the powertrain warranty.

I think I'm going to go with a New Era CAI, and still deciding on a Cat-Back...(pretty much the same dilema you're having). But I do like the offerings from Stainless Works, Kooks, and ARH!!! But you're right, the Borla ATAK and Magnaflow are good too. I think the best bet is just pick something that is going to last forever, and you'll be happy with for a long, long time!

Are you going to "Cruise Night" tonight???
Blazzin , I am going to try to get to cruisenight . Thursdays are a tough one for us at home . Kids etc . You plan on going ?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
FargoMike:
I have been going thru the same thing. I would like a few more HP and a little more agressive sound while keeping the 5/100K. I am getting all sort of different info regarding headers: no tune is needed, throw a code, not throwing a code, waranty and void waranty.... One thing I know for sure from the last dyno session is you do not gain a whole lot with CAI and cat-back exhaust on stock vehicle. So this is now my list of mods to consider while trying to keep the 5/100K:

1) gear (3.73 or 4.1)
2) suspension (sways, frame stiffeners...)
3) tires
4) headers if I can get away without tune hoping the dealer would be OK with it. If not I just get a muffler delete and call it a day with exhaust for the time being(from the last dyno session, I actually like the muffler delete more than the other catbacks, except Borla...)
5) CAI

Difficult decision indeed especially with the exhaust. My 07 'lade ESV sounded nicer and louder than stock exhaust, LOL...

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller66 View Post
You sound like my friend who has to have the most extreme everything! Just pick one and go with it.
Nope , just really want to get it right the first time . Hell on my old Tahoe , it took me over 6 months to get wheels !
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
My 07 'lade ESV sounded nicer and louder than stock exhaust, LOL...
yeah, my sis's 09 yukon denali ESV sounds pretty sweet! I asked her and my brother-in-law if they put magnaflow or flowmasters on! nope, just stock.

also, always wondered this--why do truck aftermarket exhausts always sound deeper, louder, and throatier than aftermarket car exhausts?
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote