Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #183
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
Is $75 000 too much!! Is a crazy night out with high profile prostitutes, patron platinum and cocaine too much??!! I THINK NOT!
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #184
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
When we were moving vehicles to the Speedway on Sunday the topic came up. It was a bit sobering when we factored that the loaded Tahoes had sticker prices over $70,000!!! (And no, no one got anywhere near a Z/28, they were locked away...)
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #185
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto406 View Post
Great vehicle, don't get me wrong. In my personal opinion, this z-28 does not fit into the cast of the original, and follow-on z's that preceded it. Those cars were always affordable performance cars. While 75K is a bargain (when you compare this car to comparable performance cars): it's place doesn't (in my opinion) fit into the model line.

This car should have been a Camaro SSR or something similar. This positioning IMHO would put this model in it's correct context. A gentle-persons track day car with the means to make the purchase.

This would have permitted Chevrolet to offer a z-28 more along the lines of the 1LE. Which to me is really what the z-28 is about. A performance Camaro for the person of reasonable means.

In any event, the z-28 is here, it is amazing, and for many of us, a vehicle we will unfortunately be unable to enjoy or afford. Thankfully, we have the SS, the 1LE and for a smaller group, the ZL1!!

Cheers,
Brian.
The Z/28 was not about cheap performance, it was about homologating the car for Trans Am racing. The difference is back then, the engineering was far less for the car. I highly doubt the cars were tested and developed to the same level as the current Z/28 was.

The Z/28 is the way it is because of the cost of the LS7 and the limits set by CAFE. They can't sell a ton of them because they aren't allowed. That by default limits the cars. So, if they have to charge more and sell less, they might as well make it worth the money.

This is an engineering exercise. Similar to the X planes the military develops. Pushing the envelope of your abilities and the technology you have.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #186
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
Wait a few years and you can buy a used one for around the SS price range. Cars in this price range tend to be well maintained and not a bad option as a used vehicle...
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #187
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
When we were moving vehicles to the Speedway on Sunday the topic came up. It was a bit sobering when we factored that the loaded Tahoes had sticker prices over $70,000!!! (And no, no one got anywhere near a Z/28, they were locked away...)
Whats the occasion
Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #188
frayed

Drives: 964 Turbo, 991 GT3 and Z/28 ordered
If the production numbers remain low then I think the z/28's will hold their value well. I'm not that concerned about resale but I doubt it'll depreciate like your standard issue 75k car.
E36 M3 LTW, S54 conversion track car
Tundra tow truck
32' Donzi for offshore
frayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #189
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayed View Post
If the production numbers remain low then I think the z/28's will hold their value well. I'm not that concerned about resale but I doubt it'll depreciate like your standard issue 75k car.
How many Boss 302 Laguna Secas were made? Those seem to be holding their value very well, and the Z/28 is significantly more special.

Though I'm not buying mine as an investment, it's kind of nice to know that, down the road, I might recover a significant part of my investment.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #190
frayed

Drives: 964 Turbo, 991 GT3 and Z/28 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
How many Boss 302 Laguna Secas were made? Those seem to be holding their value very well, and the Z/28 is significantly more special.

Though I'm not buying mine as an investment, it's kind of nice to know that, down the road, I might recover a significant part of my investment.
Agreed. It's a niche car that will be very appealing to a small segment, and once you factor in the price of entry, a lot of buyers get priced out. But down the road, as those aspiring to own a Z/28 find themselves in a position to swing the car, there may be a healthy aftermarket.

I've observed that it's cars like these, limited production 'special' american cars that seem to hold value over time. OTOH, go buy a pimped out bmw 6 series or equivalent benz and you'll see your value plummet in the first 2 years to half the value.

I still wish I bought a Ford GT when they came out as their prices remain high now even though they depreciated at first, now they trade at healthy margins above original MSRP. The Z could follow this same path, until Team Camaro makes a similar car on the new platform. But this is pure conjecture.
E36 M3 LTW, S54 conversion track car
Tundra tow truck
32' Donzi for offshore
frayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #191
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
IMO no car is an investment in the short term, now if where talking 40-50 years, then it can become one, if its the right car, and there are only a small amount of that car was made.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #192
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
IMO no car is an investment in the short term, now if where talking 40-50 years, then it can become one, if its the right car, and there are only a small amount of that car was made.
I agree, even then I am not sure they will ever be investments like some of the classics were/are. You know the ones that ticked an odd combo of options/or colors or was special ordered and is only 1 of XX amoutn ever built
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #193
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Agreed. However, the small production run on the 2014 -- combined with the fact that it's a true dinosaur (manual trans, big V8 N.A. motor) -- make me think it will retain its value fairly well. I don't really care about that, as I intend to keep it a long time and drive the hell out of it on-track; guess we'll all see over the next few years...
Old 04-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #194
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Whats the occasion
A little thing called the Indianapolis 500. Helped deliver to the Speedway the Festivals and other support pick-ups, Traverses, Equinoxes, Tahoes etc. EDIT: Oh, and the Mayor's Volt (He declined having a Camaro this year and last).

Check out last couple of posts:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=349230&page=3

And it seems to me the GNX's and Ford GT's values are doing quite well and ever increasing. There are exceptions, only time will tell.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 04-10-2014 at 06:18 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #195
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayed View Post
Agreed. It's a niche car that will be very appealing to a small segment, and once you factor in the price of entry, a lot of buyers get priced out. But down the road, as those aspiring to own a Z/28 find themselves in a position to swing the car, there may be a healthy aftermarket.

I've observed that it's cars like these, limited production 'special' american cars that seem to hold value over time. OTOH, go buy a pimped out bmw 6 series or equivalent benz and you'll see your value plummet in the first 2 years to half the value.

I still wish I bought a Ford GT when they came out as their prices remain high now even though they depreciated at first, now they trade at healthy margins above original MSRP. The Z could follow this same path, until Team Camaro makes a similar car on the new platform. But this is pure conjecture.

I think the Ford GT's value is going up because people began to realize there was not going to be another one.

If GM stays on this track with the new Z/28 of NA 500hp etc for gen 6 - i can see the values taking a hit.

Look at it this way. Gen 6 say is 3600lbs car (over 200lbs less). Uses the same CC Brakes (or upgraded). Same type of tires etc.
The new LT1 is not far off from the LS7 in terms of performance.
And by the time 2016 rolls around there could be an LT2 (or whatever) making 500hp NA. Its not a 427 but both are small block size anyway.

We shall see
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #196
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Z/28 was not about cheap performance, it was about homologating the car for Trans Am racing. The difference is back then, the engineering was far less for the car. I highly doubt the cars were tested and developed to the same level as the current Z/28 was.

The Z/28 is the way it is because of the cost of the LS7 and the limits set by CAFE. They can't sell a ton of them because they aren't allowed. That by default limits the cars. So, if they have to charge more and sell less, they might as well make it worth the money.

This is an engineering exercise. Similar to the X planes the military develops. Pushing the envelope of your abilities and the technology you have.
Limits? Funny how all these cars debuting have crazy h/p. C7 Z06 at 600+ hp, Shelby GT500 will be high as well. I don't think anyone is too concerned at the cafe standards right now. People are still buying cars regardless of gas mileage with high h/p output.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote