Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #71
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPittbull View Post
I have gotten used to it.. First few times it engaged, I stalled, but now I have learned how to use it... Just get used to the timing.
NO.

The real point is why must anybody who does not need this particular nanny be forced to adapt themselves to it with no OE-offered way out? In some cases you're asking people with 40, 50, or more years of "muscle memory" to suddenly replace a fully satisfactory technique with a different one that can cause more problems than it purports to solve.

All this just because somebody somewhere ran out of other things to worry about and decided that not only new drivers should never have to learn a basic element of car control but that everybody must be forced to learn the "new" way.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #72
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
NO.

The real point is why must anybody who does not need this particular nanny be forced to adapt themselves to it with no OE-offered way out? In some cases you're asking people with 40, 50, or more years of "muscle memory" to suddenly replace a fully satisfactory technique with a different one that can cause more problems than it purports to solve.

All this just because somebody somewhere ran out of other things to worry about and decided that not only new drivers should never have to learn a basic element of car control but that everybody must be forced to learn the "new" way.

Norm
^^ This says it all........I just replaced the YAW sensor and completely took care of it. To me its a "have to" mod on my car or I couldn't have it period. I absolutely hate the HSA.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #73
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
If you want an hsa or need one then buy a damn automatic and leave us true manual transmission drivers alone to enjoy driving the car not it driving us.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #74
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn18 View Post
^^ This says it all........I just replaced the YAW sensor and completely took care of it. To me its a "have to" mod on my car or I couldn't have it period. I absolutely hate the HSA.
+1,000,000 !!!

HSA sucks, but the yaw sensor was a piece of cake to replace and I haven't looked back since! Those of you who say "just get used to the timing" or just wait the two seconds before you go" obviously don't live in the northeast part of the country!! The lack of patience people have around here will get you rear ended for sure!! almost happened to me two or three times before I changed it out!!

Just say NO to nannies!! Don't need em! Don't want 'em!!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #75
Verbatim

Drives: '18 2SS 1LE HBM
The thing that I struggle with is why the HSA is so bad on the Camaro, yet on my '12 Sonic it is so excellent. I've been driving manuals for several years now (my last 4 cars have been stick), so I'm pretty used to starting on hills, and the HSA on my Sonic is subtle enough to know it is there and working, but never a hazard to stall the car. When I test drove a Camaro a few weeks ago I nearly stalled the car due to HSA activating at a steep traffic light.

I wonder if it has to do with the wheels that are being braked being the driven wheels in the Camaro (it only applies the back brakes, correct?)...
Verbatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #76
Ssgt

Drives: 2014 1LS Ashen Gray
I have a '14 1ls (v6 stick) and it has the hill assist. I hated it at first, but now that ive gotten used to it (rather than get angry and fight it) and learned just how long it takes to get off the brake, you just time your take off accordingly and theres no issue. I generally dislike the hill assist feature, especially in underpowered cars (id almost venture to say the v6 camaro is almost in that list of cars). Ive learned to drive with it, and once or twice, ive been glad i had it as some prick pulls 1" away from my ass end while im not paying attention to the rear view.
Ssgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #77
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
what happens if you use the Hand Brake at the stop? Does HSA still kick in? I've always used the hand brake so the clutch was not abused.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #78
PDP_SS

Drives: 2013 SS
I'm for sure changing the yaw sensor out on mine I can't stand hill assist but as far as the skip shift it's only kicked on like twice in my car so it doesn't bother me a bit

455RWHP
PDP_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #79
Combover

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
what happens if you use the Hand Brake at the stop? Does HSA still kick in? I've always used the hand brake so the clutch was not abused.
Lifting up slightly on the hand brake will disengage HSA.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #80
PlainEnvelopes

Drives: 2014 1LS BRM
Hill assist is annoying. I am glad a DIY is available to fix it. If you have never driven stick before it could be a nice luxury, but for me it just feels so weird. Hill assist activates everyday when I am on campus. Each parking lot is a level higher on campus.

Next Mod:SOLO HFC, Lowering springs
PlainEnvelopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #81
DocMartens

Drives: '14 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Apparently it can take up to two full seconds to let go of the brakes, and there is no way to default it to "off" like there is with at least some Ford and Dodge cars.

When it gets in the way, you are a lot more likely to stall. Unless you overpower it with a lot more throttle than is necessary to just get the car moving, and unexpected wheelspin is an occasional result.

I agree that there can be times and situations where it could be of value. Ideally you'd get an off/on switch that you could set "on the fly" as circumstances warrant, similar to the simplest off/on traction control system switching. See later post.

Norm
I stalled out today and looked like a rookie. This was my first hill assist experience. I just past the 600 mile mark on my car.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #82
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
I've only actually experienced it coming on once, and at the time (backing up a very steep driveway) it was useful. I could see it getting annoying if it kicks in when not needed, but I've yet to experience that. Shift skip on the other hand... ugh.
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #83
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMartens View Post
I stalled out today and looked like a rookie. This was my first hill assist experience. I just past the 600 mile mark on my car.
I had it happen a few times (like twice) when it was new (less than 1000 miles). Now I can tell when it has engaged (which is almost never) and it poses no issues for me. I think you will feel it now as well, and like me, it rarely happens to you as well.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #84
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I had a hard time on an elevated ramp coming off of the expressway the night I took delivery. I am new to the manual, and actually I was doing pretty good that day.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote