Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Any takers for the DI 300hp V6?

If it were to become available in the Camaro upon launch?

As it is right now, it seems that the "entry" level V8 will be the LS3 motor putting out something over 400+hp, and two V6's; one for the general public, then the more performance tuned DI V6(sorry, don't know the technical name). At first a V6 Camaro bothered me, but one with this new DI V6 doesn't sound so bad. Though I'm still more likely to shoot for the base V8.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
urbanlegend
Wanabe SS owner

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Sounds good, but I'm aiming for at least a base V8 as well.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
It's not a bad engine, but to me a Camaro has a V8. I'll be getting the LS3, then boring/stroking it out and a few other mods
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think it'll be a good choice for the "normal" buyers. V6's are more forgiving than a V8, regardless of power, ther's less metal being thrown around. We, on the other hand like to keep our cars, and care for them like family(at least I do)...so Naturally, V8 is, well, natural for enthusiasts to want.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
I seriously thought about it... the improved fuel economy IS appealing. But then I just came back to the fact that if you own a car that looks THIS bada$$ it just can't have a V6... IMHO.

I'm going to get the most powerful V8 I can afford, which probably means the LS3... unless the rumoured LS8/LS9 shows up in an SS model... but I doubt it.

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Fbodybuddy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8
I had also thrashed that thought about, since my wife will probably drive it to work several times a a week, which is a 50 mile round trip commute. She's more pumped than me about the prospect of getting a 5th gen.
I had a 67 with the 250-6 and the 3 speed. I also had a 67 RS/SS 350, 69 Z-28, and regrettably an 83 Z-28. Who cares if gas is 3 bucks a gallon, looks like a V8 for me.

Last edited by Fbodybuddy; 07-27-2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: left out statement
Fbodybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
bcannan354

Drives: 1968 Camaro
The V6 will appeal to alot of people that are worried about $3 a gallon gas. And they will probabally sell the V6 300Hp Camaro to people that were going to buy a base Musrtang, but I am going to get the biggest V8 available.
bcannan354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
urbanlegend
Wanabe SS owner

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Why does $3 a gallon seem cheap to me? Lol. I'm still going to roll around in a beater Honda as my DD to save on gas. Having two cars is normal for me. One nice one and one P.O.S. for the mall and stuff. I've never been a fan of V6 Camaros. It just doesn't feel right to me.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
No v6 for me. I would like to get the highest horse v8 Chevy offers. I'm not planning on driving it everyday, so gas mileage really isn't a big deal to me. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get any where near what the published fuel economy estimates are!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
First off, I've driven one of the most powerful 6-cylinder engines in the world (from the factory) and can't be accused of being ignorant.

That being said, there's not a chance I'm owning a muscle car without 8 cylinders in it.

Grand National? Hell yeah, I'd gobble one up in a heartbeat.
SyTy (Syclone/Typhoon)? I'll take one of each please.
Another Supra? Without missing a beat (if I was as single as I was when I owned the first one)

But a Camaro/Mustang...hell even a truck? V8 or bust.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 PM   #11
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Ive got a very nice V6 camaro but Im tired of not having the power I want. the good thing is after all the mods she gets around 30 miles to the gallon, onthe highway(for the first half tank). But in my opinion its gotta be V8 for me. when I got my Fbody I couldent afford the insurance on the V8. but its a different day now!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
First off, I've driven one of the most powerful 6-cylinder engines in the world (from the factory) and can't be accused of being ignorant.

That being said, there's not a chance I'm owning a muscle car without 8 cylinders in it.

Grand National? Hell yeah, I'd gobble one up in a heartbeat.
SyTy (Syclone/Typhoon)? I'll take one of each please.
Another Supra? Without missing a beat (if I was as single as I was when I owned the first one)

But a Camaro/Mustang...hell even a truck? V8 or bust.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend View Post
Why does $3 a gallon seem cheap to me? Lol. I'm still going to roll around in a beater Honda as my DD to save on gas. Having two cars is normal for me. One nice one and one P.O.S. for the mall and stuff. I've never been a fan of V6 Camaros. It just doesn't feel right to me.
+1, but I try to think of the V6 versions as a domesticated Camaro, opposed to the V8 monster, that your sitting in.

However, I don't think I ever answered the question...If we're talking about the 300 hp V6 they've developed for Caddy, then, although I want a V8, I wouldn't mind owning that piece of history.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #13
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
yea i wouldnt mind having the 300hp v6. A review of the cts says it could do 0-60 in 6 seconds. Ofcourse the camaro would do quicker but i would much rather have a v8 no matter what v8 it is.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Nothing less then a V-8 for me, it still has to get better gas mileage with the DOD then I do in my truck .
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote