Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #99
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
^Some good points there and a basic opinion that many muscle enthusiasts share.

But you're looking at it from purely an enthusiast's standpoint. The consumer public isn't going to care if their V6 camaro is horsepower deficient compared to the G37/370z because they're not racing these things. And GM is banking on making the V6 more of a sensible choice for their target markets moreso than ever before, just look at the state of the global economy and "green image" movement. Gas-sucking V8s are growing less appealing to a large majority of the public.

The reason then that the V6 is so impressive is that you won't have to compromise performance, quality, looks, or even very much hp in this case. For many, getting a hot car with the kind of engineering GM put into it and 300 horses, that's enough to get people excited about base muscle IMO. It's been said before, that V6 camaro sales will make or break its success.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #100
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Oh I am totally with you that the V6 is going to be the top seller. Most all buyers don't care about having a V8. They wouldn't care if there was an inlie 4 in there. They just want to look cool in a new camaro.

And that is what GM as a company and a model is hoping for. But "usually" when you come to a forum like this one or the hundreds of others, the people that want to chat and comment on a car are very passionate about it and ARE the enthusiests. Otherwise the same general public isn't going to care enough to suft on a Camaro Forum for a car that isn't even out yet.

I used to own a 1968 covertible GTO with a 400. I understand the muscle heritage with these cars. I am torn between getting the new camaro and a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 (which is my dream car) but in todays muscle market they are about the same price which makes no sense to get the Chevelle.

To be honest with you I don't even like the idea of supercharging the 6.2 (like the ZR1) I would be happier if they took the Z06 7.0 and put it in the car as a Z28. NA power is what the camaro deserves.....
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #101
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
My own V8 was only 285 yes.....but the V6 was 85 HP behind it then and that was 11 YEARS ago.

I am not arguing that 300 is a sweet number for a V6 or historically for a Camaro. What I am saying is that 300 is old news and nothing very impressive in todays market. And in relative terms the 300 HP V6 Camaro will be slotted in the exact same place it was 11 years ago. Competing against accords and maximas and such.

Don't get hung up on the numbers. Technology will keep getting better but it will for the entire industry. So todays 422 V8 and 300 HP v6 is relative to the market.

Does the new 3.7 liter G37 not make 330 HP? V6......
The new 370Z is supposed to be making 350 HP....V6....

Get my point now. Yes the V6 will be faster then a V6 camaro has ever been. In fact it may be as fast as an 11 year old V8 camaro stock for stock. The fact remains that it is still only the base model and in my eyes isn't worth my money for what a camaro should be.

If you want the V6 by all means get it. You don't need to convince me it will be a decent car. But it will still never be an SS PERIOD. And no not all people need 422 HP.....heck most don't NEED 300, but then why are you buying a camaro.

Are you trying to convince me that the V6 is going to be a street demon or yourself? B/C when push comes to shove it will still only be the "measly" V6 camaro and not "taken seriously." I know for a fact that the SS guys will never take a V6 car seriously if they think they have a high powered rocket. It is just the pecking order.

Don't get me wrong I am and would never buy a car for "street cred" (yes that term sounds like I am 17 and I hate using it). I buy cars for what they can do. That is why I bought my subaru. Absolutely amazing technology and when my 4 door sedan was blasting past vettes it was sweet. But that was all for my amusement not anyone elses. That is why I say to each his own. So to sum it up to answer the OP, no a 300 HP v6 has not changed my image of the base camaro.
You don't have to convince me about the V8 either. I'm personally buying an SS. However, how much does that G37 cost? The 370Z?

Now if the V6 Camaro comes in the mid 20s with 300 horses?

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #102
Mblock66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
You don't have to convince me about the V8 either. I'm personally buying an SS. However, how much does that G37 cost? The 370Z?

Now if the V6 Camaro comes in the mid 20s with 300 horses?
Point taken but the G37 is a lot more car then the camaro is. From the paint to the leather it is just so much more refined. the 370Z is around SS territory in price, but it is also around SS in performance. That car is about 400 lbs lighter maybe more. So it will be a good race. I was just trying to make the point that there are higher output NA V6's out there already that will romp the new V6 camaro. The new Maxima is fast too and it is like 30k. Slightly different market but again when most everything on the road that is non SUV or ultra compact can run 0-60 between 6-7.5 seconds it isn't all that huge of an accomplishment mostly b/c the car weighs so damn much

You do have a point on the price per HP. The V6 will be nicely priced for what you get, however I have been saying that all along....if that is all you can afford then that is all you can afford. There is nothing wrong with that. But to choose the V6 over the SS when money isn't an issue seems ludacris to me.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #103
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
i was just reading the spec sheet, why does the v6 take regular?

the v6 is aiming at younger people between 18-24. The ss is aiming between 25-68 IMO

heres my reasons for v6

insurance-
good amount of power-
price-

i am out of reasons but theres alot more
Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #104
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It takes regular because premium is too expensive for the base car and it just does not need the high octane. Read that thread on octane.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #105
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
It takes regular because premium is too expensive for the base car and it just does not need the high octane. Read that thread on octane.
That would make sense and I would have agreed 2 months ago, except that there are economy models of cars that are also supposed to use premium, but the bigger, more powerful, and more expensive cars are supposed to run on regular. My parents found that out when looking into getting an Aura.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #106
MAROobsession

Drives: 05 Honda Accord V6
after reading this thread its starting to get the idea of possibly opting for the v6 out of my head, i keep forgeting how wheight plays such a big factor. Im just gonna have to suck it up and dish out some more $$ for the 8 eeven if it means waiting a little longer. The one thing i dont need is a new V6 camaro being able to be taken by my current car.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #107
Mblock66

^ yup exactly what I was trying to say before. The fact thatyou are thinking that means you have "expectations" of what a camaro should be able to do.

if the V6 was 3300 LBS 300 hp would have made that thing a monster. But at almost 3800 it is on par with the market. 0-60 in 6.X seconds just isn't fast anymore :(

Don't worry the price difference will not be that huge between the two models. You shouldn't need more then 4-5k more to get the SS

Road & Track has tested the 2008 Honda Accord V6 6MT coupe.

0-60: 5.9 seconds
0-100: 14.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.5 seconds @ 99.8 mph
Top speed: 130 mph (electronically limited)
Skidpad: 0.82g
Slalom: 63.4 mph
60-0: 132 feet
80-0: 242 feet
R&T fuel economy: 16 mpg (estimate)
Interior noise: 44 dBA (idle), 72 dBA (70 mph)
Test weight: 3715 pounds
Old 08-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #108
Vash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That would make sense and I would have agreed 2 months ago, except that there are economy models of cars that are also supposed to use premium, but the bigger, more powerful, and more expensive cars are supposed to run on regular. My parents found that out when looking into getting an Aura.
The fuel injection system on this particular engine does not need premium. It's a complex issue. I'll tell you one thing most people nowdays that have a premium vehicle are just putting 87 octane.

The fuel has nothing to do with the size of the car. It's the aspiration and compression, ignition.

It's not just a matter of more is better. Here check out this primer on Octane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #109
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
The fuel injection system on this particular engine does not need premium. It's a complex issue. I'll tell you one thing most people nowdays that have a premium vehicle are just putting 87 octane.

The fuel has nothing to do with the size of the car. It's the aspiration and compression, ignition.

I was referring to the bigger, more powerful models of that particular car. I could/should have said engine. Sorry for the confusion. However, you are right with what you said and neither the LS/LT nor the SS Camaro require premium. It is merely a recommendation on the SS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #110
Vash

I have not really looked into the V8's much myself because I can't afford the payment.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #111
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I can somewhat understand what you're saying but even your own post should open your eyes a little to the fact that times are changing. Your own Z28 was only 285 HP. The new V6 bests that by about 20 ponies.

I'm gettin a V8, but the V6 is gonna be revolutionary to the muscle car segment.
The new V6 bests that by 20 hp but the car still won't be as fast as his 1997. Even with all the new tech the Camaro gets. The LT-1 cars aren't the most amazing, but they still have this thing called torque and would most likely outrun the V6 Camaro.

On paper, the Camaro's V6 looks incredible. But considering it's weight it won't be incredibly fast. Whether it has 300 hp or not. And whether it's 300hp is impressive for the base model of a pony car or not. If it does their 5.9 0-60 that's great. But considering the performance of the V8s are about a second quicker (a second is a big deal when it comes to the 1/4 mile or 0-60) it's not going to blow away any of the pony cars. You may be able to keep up with them for a bit, but not smash any of them. Assuming of course their driver is at all competent.

Also, the 350Z, G37 and even the G35 do the 0-60 faster than the Camaro V6. Why are we saying the V6 Camaro will have 350Z performance? The new 350Z (while being quite a bit more expensive) is a great car and fast too. We recently saw a list of bone stock top 1/4 mile times and the fastest are in the low 13s. 13.2 and the like. Are you seriously thinking the Camaro will beat that? Not to mention the 350z also has a pretty well sorted chassis.

I'm a Camaro lover, but like I said in another thread: you should stop believing what you hope to be true and start believing what is likely to be true. And if you think it's likely that a V6 Camaro will out sprint a 350Z you need to reexamine your car knowledge and the facts that are right in front of you for that matter.

All that being said, I think the Camaro is impressive for a V6, but in the realm of sporty coupes, it's not going to be that impressive. I think it's praises will always be followed by the line "for a V6". It's pretty quick... for a V6. It's not bad... for a V6.

This is all in comparison the V8. And any other serious performance car out there.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #112
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:

While it's only a recommendation, I still put 91 in my GTO. At least 91. The fuel map and timing curve change for the lower octane and slightly reduce power. Only slightly. But I never wanted to have to find out whether it was noticeable so I never tried anything less than premium.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote