Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Talking DIY : Install Lowering Springs on 2010 Camaro

I installed a set of Pfadt lowering springs last weekend, and took plenty of photos along the way. Here is the detailed how-to article, hope you enjoy it.

We put the Planet LSX Camaro down, without any insults.
Experience Level Required
Novice wrencher

Estimated Time
2.5 hours without air tools

Tools Required
1/2 drive breaker-bar
1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive ratchets
7mm, 10mm, 15mm shallow sockets
18mm, 21mm, 24mm deep sockets
21mm, 24mm wrenches
15mm, 18mm ratchet wrenches
T40, T50 Torx bit sockets
5mm Allen wrench
Razor box knife
Coil spring compressor (optional)
Floor jack & jackstands, or lift

We installed a set of Pfadt coil springs on our PlanetLSX.com project 2010 Camaro SS recently, in order to share the technical details involved in getting your own Camaro closer to the ground. The Pfadt springs lowered the nose of our Camaro by 1 inch, and the rear of the car by 1.25 inches, giving it a level and aggressive stance. The coils have a higher spring rate than the factory coils, which help to reduce body roll during cornering. Ride quality is still excellent, making this a must-do mod for new Camaro owners.

We are pleased to report that doing this installation on a new Camaro is one of the easier cars we’ve worked on, given our extensive experience with other vehicle lowering kits. Be sure to have all the right tools before you start, in order to work more efficiently and safely.

Installation Steps

Rear Suspension – The rear shock strut assembly is held in with four screws around a metal flange at the top of the shock, and one large bolt at the bottom connecting it to the lower control arm. In order to get the shock assembly out, we need to disconnect the outer end of the lower control arm and allow it to swing downwards. This process takes about 35 minutes per side.

1. Working on a level and solid surface, jack one side of the rear of the car up, place on jackstand, and remove the wheel. It is never a good idea to do work with just a jack supporting the car.

2. Loosen all four screws at the top flange of the shock, using a 15mm socket or ratchet wrench. Leave the two outer screws in place, hand tight, to support the shock assembly until it is ready to come out. Remove the two rear screws.

3. Disconnect the swaybar end link from the upper connection point. This requires a 15mm ratchet wrench and a 5mm allen wrench stuck into the center of the stud to keep it from spinning.

4. Loosen and remove the lower shock bolt, using a 21mm socket and 21mm wrench as back-up.

5. Loosen and remove the lower spindle bolt where it connects to the control arm, using an 18mm socket and 18mm wrench as back-up. This will allow the lower control arm to swing down far enough to lift the bottom of the shock assembly out.

6. Remove the remaining two upper shock flange screws and lift the entire shock assembly out carefully.

7. Our spring did not have a lot of tension in it, but we used a coil spring compressor here just to be safe. We’d say it is optional, but without using one expect a “pop” as it comes undone. Just point the shock down the driveway, away from any objects or people, just to be safe. It takes an 18mm wrench and a T40 Torx socket to remove the upper nut on the shock. Pay attention to how all the parts fit together when taking this assembly apart, so it goes back together the same way.

8. With the shock assembly dismantled, remove the dust cover sleeve from the upper shock to find the rubber bump-stop inside. This must be cut down in size, using either a razor box knife or a small hand saw. Cutting instructions were included with the Pfadt kit.

9. Put together the shock assembly, making sure the new coil spring pigtail end lines up with the channel in the upper plate like the factory spring did. The lower end of the spring towards the ground doesn’t have any reference channel, just a rubber ring to sit on. Be sure to reuse these rubber spring isolators, to avoid squeaks and such when driving. The Pfadt coil springs are shorter than stock, so no coil spring compressor is required for re-assembly.

10. Installation of the rear shock strut assembly is just the opposite sequence of the removal process.

Front Suspension – The front shock strut assembly is held in place with one large nut and flange at the top of the shock tower, and two bolts attached to the spindle on the lower side. This process takes about 35 minutes per side.

1. Disconnect the brake line mount from the strut body, using a 10mm socket or wrench. Disconnect the ABS wire from the strut body simply by pulling the rubber boot loose from the mounting tab.

2. Disconnect the upper swaybar link from the strut body, using a 15mm ratchet wrench, and a 7mm socket to keep the stud from rotating.

3. Now the muscle comes into play. Loosen and remove the two bolts connecting the strut body to the spindle. Use a breaker bar and 24mm deep socket, along with a 24mm back-up wrench to get them loose. It felt like ours were installed by a gorilla, they were tight!

4. At this point, the strut is free and hanging by a single bolt at the top of the strut tower inside the engine bay. Pop the hood and remove the plastic nut cap by twisting it counter-clockwise. Use a 24mm wrench or deep socket to loosen only the top nut. Get a buddy to assist with catching the strut in case it falls out once that nut is removed. Once the nut and associated flange are removed, the strut is ready to be pulled out from the bottom. Do not be tempted to remove the second nut found under the first one, that comes later.

5. With the strut assembly removed from the car, now it is time to remove the coil spring. Use a 24mm wrench to loosen the nut, and a T50 Torx socket inserted into the stud to keep it from turning. We opted to use a spring compressor here, but the spring really wasn’t in much tension. Same as before, expect a “pop” if you do it without a compressor. Pay careful attention to the sequence and direction of each part removed, so that it goes back together the same way.

6. With the spring removed from the strut, remove the rubber dust boot by simply sliding it upwards off of the strut body. Inside, you will find the rubber bump stop. This bump stop needs to be cut down, using the box knife, as per the instructions found in the Pfadt kit. After cutting, put the bump stop and dust boot back on the strut assembly.

7. Install the Pfadt coil spring on the strut, aligning the lower pigtail with the groove in the lower coil spring tray found on the strut. No coil spring compressor required here, simply re-install the retention cap and 24mm nut.

8. Installation of the front shock strut assembly is just the opposite sequence of the removal process.

We recommend that you have a four-wheel alignment done as soon as possible, as lowering the car most likely changed the factory settings. Here is a link to Pfadt's recommended alignment specs. Now go out and enjoy your improved handling and killer stance, thanks to the Pfadt coil springs!

http://www.planetlsx.com/tech/How_To...010_Camaro/131

Tony
Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Nice article.....that's going to help out I'm sure.

Any way to do something similar for installing the Sway Bars?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Nine Ball

Yes, I'll do a separate write-up on swaybars once I have a set. I plan on documenting every modification made to this Camaro.

Tony
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
mdinferno

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT/RS
Excellent write up
mdinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
great freaking write-up!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Nice informative write up! This is nice to allow members to try and be more hands and or a better understanding of the process.

-Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Awesome Nine Ball, great write up! no i wonder how bad they shoot off without a spring compresor? lol

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Very nice... Look forward to the entire read when I get home tonight.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Nine Ball

Not bad, we "test fired" one of the front ones. The springs really aren't compressed much at all. You can rent spring compressors for free at most large auto parts chains, like AutoZone or O'Reillys

Tony
Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Tony, great stuff! Thanks for this write-up and the detailed pictures. You should take some time to post some glamor shots of your Camaro's new look.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
Nine Ball

I'll have better pics in a week or so, but these will do for now.

Tony
Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
thalilbear02

Drives: Searching for 6th Gen 1LE
Yeah nice write up... Thanks for the info
Old 01-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
Nice informative write up! This is nice to allow members to try and be more hands and or a better understanding of the process.

-Regards
Once mine ship out, i plan on a DYI in my driveway for sure! looking for them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Not bad, we "test fired" one of the front ones. The springs really aren't compressed much at all. You can rent spring compressors for free at most large auto parts chains, like AutoZone or O'Reillys

Tony
hahah i like the test fire! Yeah i suppose a stop at the local auto zone wont hurt much. On the 4th gen. damn i did one without a compressor and watch out, put a nice chunk in the side of my garage.

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I miss the big trees of H-town. Pics looks awesome! Didnt you have have some black IFORGED 22's on that car before??