Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Cheap, fast, reliable.

I figure I may as well start a "build thread." This isn't much of a build by any standard, I just want to document my alterations to make the Camaro a better commuter without sacrificing handling or fuel efficiency. I am all about maximum results for minimum effort.

Specs:
2015 Camaro SS
M6
stripper model.

Aquired late 2017 with 14,000 miles, 100% stock.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
TWOFORTYZ

First change: I believe this was done in December. 20x9 wheels on all corners. Purchased a matching set of used wheels, put the rears in front with new OEM style 275/40-20 PZero's.

Results: Entirely removed understeer, primarily because rear tires were original and hardened with time. The car was very tail happy and wonderful to drive. The tires catch the edges on the road MUCH more than with the skinny tires, but the increased braking ability and better handling more than make up for it.
Cons: Tires grab tar snakes and potholes significantly more. In no way is this unbearable or unsafe, it's just there. I also dropped about .5 MPG on average. I have a very consistant commute, this is just due to the extra drag while driving at 80 MPH.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
TWOFORTYZ

Last weekend I added the ZL1 (same as 1LE) rear swaybar.

Results: Not much changed. I do NOT reccomend wasting your time. I will most likely be going aftermarket because this made very little change in the cars handling balance. We'll see how it feels after the new tires are fully scrubbed in.

Opinion: Don't waste your time or money, go larger with aftermarket. Leave the stock front.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
TWOFORTYZ

Today, I bought 2 more OEM style 275/40-20's for the front, put the "old new" fronts in the rear. Same as I always do... The car sticks better now that all the old crusty rubber is gone, I'll need to throw it around a bit to figure out the handling balance again.

The car has already done 10,000 additional miles since 11/4/17.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:13 AM   #5
TWOFORTYZ

Fun fact. Running a square wheel setup with all 4 oem rears adds 11.3 lbs of unsprung weight up front.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #6
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
At first read of your title, I was thinking:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two :-)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I agree with your findings on understeer bias - a square setup will be very neutral on stock SS suspension. I run the same, a 20x9 with 275/40's on all 4 corners and the car is pretty nicely balanced with a progressive rotation off throttle if you really feed it the wheel as you load it up. Just about perfect IMO.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #8
TWOFORTYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
At first read of your title, I was thinking:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two :-)

I like the saying so much I used it inappropriately. Cheap is relative, a new Civic would cost me about the same per month and could never be as reliable under the same conditions. I had horrible results with my Honda and Toyota cars. American V8 commuters for me from here on out, I can't afford to waste a day changing timing belts or dealing with clutches that explode without warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I agree with your findings on understeer bias - a square setup will be very neutral on stock SS suspension. I run the same, a 20x9 with 275/40's on all 4 corners and the car is pretty nicely balanced with a progressive rotation off throttle if you really feed it the wheel as you load it up. Just about perfect IMO.
Thanks for the comment. I really enjoy discussing how vehicles are affected by different alterations and debating what is the cheapest and most effective way to get the desired results.

After having more time to play and let the car slide naturally, I totally agree. It has a great handling balance.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post

I like the saying so much I used it inappropriately. Cheap is relative, a new Civic would cost me about the same per month and could never be as reliable under the same conditions. I had horrible results with my Honda and Toyota cars. American V8 commuters for me from here on out, I can't afford to waste a day changing timing belts or dealing with clutches that explode without warning.

Thanks for the comment. I really enjoy discussing how vehicles are affected by different alterations and debating what is the cheapest and most effective way to get the desired results.

After having more time to play and let the car slide naturally, I totally agree. It has a great handling balance.
I was quite impressed with how neutral the car was when squared up. I expected there to still be significant understeer. You can still completely overwhelm the fronts if you're a bull and heavily over-driving, but smooth aggression is rewarded with a very willing chassis.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:50 PM   #10
TWOFORTYZ

Well, not the "fun" type of work, but I replaced my rear valance yesterday. Had to miss a day of work because nobody else touches my coche if I can help it. On the bright side, I got the car washed as well as all three dogs. Exhaust will be going on within the next week or two.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
TWOFORTYZ

I installed the 3" hooker blackheart catback about 2 weeks ago. The car is still VERY quiet, I can't hear much of anything until I give it some throttle. I wish it was louder, but the car doesn't drone and vibrate the interior at slow freeway speeds. The exhaust seems well engineered to provide a quiet experience for the average slow driver. The downside is that the car has a slight resonation around 80mph (my primary cruising speed) under load. Still quiet and easy to maintain a normal conversation at any speed inside the car.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #12
TWOFORTYZ

I installed a K&N panel filter when I did the exhaust. No gains were noticed. The car may make a bit more power up top with the X-pipe, but I don't do enough pulls to feel much difference.