Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-05-2024, 05:17 PM   #1
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
Broken Rocker arm

So went into the shop to get a header leak fixed and they found this bc of the ticking. I thought it was from the leak but looks to be a broken rocker arm smh. Been driving the car like this for like 3 weeks and oil pressure is normal and normal driving behavior. My question is what’s next? Oil change and replace rocker, spring, pushrod? Or should I have a engine tear down? I have a built dart engine and the rockers are from the old motor.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2024, 06:24 PM   #2
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't tear down for that.

I would pull the spring, make sure it's not damaged and no debris inside of it. Check the pushrod is clean and straight. Make sure no debris is still sitting in the top of the head. Change the oil and filter of course!
Old 04-05-2024, 07:02 PM   #3
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't tear down for that.

I would pull the spring, make sure it's not damaged and no debris inside of it. Check the pushrod is clean and straight. Make sure no debris is still sitting in the top of the head. Change the oil and filter of course!
Gotcha gonna try this thank u. It’s just crazy the car still ran fine with a whole rocker broken off lol
Old 04-05-2024, 09:00 PM   #4
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I would do a trunnion upgrade while your in there, especially if you are on a built 427.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:43 PM   #5
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Did those trunnions have the needle bearings? If so they're probably in the pan and pickup screen.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:17 PM   #6
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Onyx_Wolf_ View Post
Been driving the car like this for like 3 weeks and oil pressure is normal and normal driving behavior.
Driving a V7 seems "normal" ?

You should get the front of the car as high as possible , drain the oil, and flush out the oil pan vigorously with about 5 gallons of diesel to flush out all the needle bearings yo can. Then look in the drain hole with a bore scope. There pretty cheap. Maybe fish around with a magnet too. You gotta get those pieces out of there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:55 AM   #7
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Did those trunnions have the needle bearings? If so they're probably in the pan and pickup screen.
I thought the whole point of doing trunnions was to get rid of the needle bearings? I know mine dont have any.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:05 AM   #8
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebagger06 View Post
I thought the whole point of doing trunnions was to get rid of the needle bearings? I know mine dont have any.
For some that's true, but I didn't read where he had changed them from stock and was wondering if the bearings fell in the engine, maybe I missed where he said that.

My trunnion upgrade still uses bearings over bushings. (BTR v2) The bearings weren't really the problem with the stock trunnions, it was the end caps. Higher lifting cams would make the end caps rotate more than intended and they would come out spilling the bearings in the process. BTR's use basically a washer with a circlip on each end to prevent it from coming off. So far mine have been on 15k miles without issue.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:11 PM   #9
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Driving a V7 seems "normal" ?

You should get the front of the car as high as possible , drain the oil, and flush out the oil pan vigorously with about 5 gallons of diesel to flush out all the needle bearings yo can. Then look in the drain hole with a bore scope. There pretty cheap. Maybe fish around with a magnet too. You gotta get those pieces out of there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
😂😂 ya idk
Old 04-07-2024, 06:15 PM   #10
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Quote:
For some that's true, but I didn't read where he had changed them from stock and was wondering if the bearings fell in the engine, maybe I missed where he said that.

My trunnion upgrade still uses bearings over bushings. (BTR v2) The bearings weren't really the problem with the stock trunnions, it was the end caps. Higher lifting cams would make the end caps rotate more than intended and they would come out spilling the bearings in the process. BTR's use basically a washer with a circlip on each end to prevent it from coming off. So far mine have been on 15k miles without issue.
I assume they were upgrades so i guess i didnt see if they were or not
Old 04-07-2024, 06:26 PM   #11
FasNuf

If I'm looking right, from the original picture of the OP, it looks like the intake rocker. If I had to let one go, that would be the one I would want. If the exhaust had let go and the intake continued to operate, things might have got interesting.
As a side note, it does look like the trunnions are upgraded now that my old eyes look closer.

Last edited by FasNuf; 04-07-2024 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM   #12
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Quote:
If I'm looking right, from the original picture of the OP, it looks like the intake rocker. If I had to let one go, that would be the one I would want. If the exhaust had let go and the intake continued to operate, things might have got interesting.
As a side note, it does look like the trunnions are upgraded now that my old eyes look closer.
Agreed. They are not OEM.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:22 PM   #13
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
I did have the trunnions upgraded with I think Che when I first got my cam while back but looking at it now with the new motor I can’t tell if they reused them with the new heads. Having a shop look at it sometime this week to see what needs to be done, I’m just hoping the motor is okay and it just needs fluids changed and new rocker, spring, etc