Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #15
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
I got the Trailing arms, Toe rod, Springs and Sway bars installed. I am waiting on the Hotckis brace still. Do you think for street use I am going to regret not doing the Sub frame bushings and control arm mounts? I am sure at some point I will end up doing them but I am not sure when, I would like to start working HP next. I have not diven the car I am waiting on an alignment.
Best upgrade: solid rear cradle bushings.
Remember this car is irs, which the solid bushings force the suspension to do what they are suppose to do instead of creating rear steering and many other issues.
I put them on my Z28 and just ordered a set for my newly acquired ZL1.
I had complete BMR arms/bushings, coilovers and fe4 hotchkiss anti sway bars on my V6 and it felt very similar to Z28. I had the BMR pro cradle bushings on that and they did well with the rest of the BMR setup.

Good luck
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #16
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I am hoping the Hotckis brace will take the place of the cradle bushings, according to Hotckis it does.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #17
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I don't see how the Hotchkis braces could take the place of the subframe bushings since they are "downstream" of the subframe bushings and the Camaro body is stiff enough that they don't do a lot.

I will be one of the few that will say I didn't see a big difference going from BMR Poly to solid bushings. There was a difference, but I'm not sure it was worth the cost.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #18
Joe.G

I am not sure but that was what the brace was designed for and some say they like it better than the bushings.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Old 10-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #19
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I don't see how the Hotchkis braces could take the place of the subframe bushings since they are "downstream" of the subframe bushings and the Camaro body is stiff enough that they don't do a lot.

I will be one of the few that will say I didn't see a big difference going from BMR Poly to solid bushings. There was a difference, but I'm not sure it was worth the cost.
I probably worded it incorrectly, but that’s what I was getting at as well. I liked the BMR full poly on my v6. But with the higher hp cars the poly’s will come apart with time or tracking. That’s the one benefit of solids.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #20
Joe.G

I probably should have gotten the solid when I had the suspension apart for the other stuff, Not sure I feel like taking it back apart. I think I am going to try the brace, I am hoping for a street car it will be enough.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 10-08-2021, 09:04 AM   #21
gtstorey

The rest of your changes will make a big difference, so added altogether it will likely suit your needs.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #22
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post

I cant say for myself if it works, but the one hotchkis brace actually bolts to the subframe and then to the body of the car. If that is the one hes talking about its not completely downstream.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #23
Joe.G

That's the one I am talking about.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 10-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #24
SIM GhostrdrZ

Unless you’re doing anything serious then that brace will help. But it doesn’t take place of cradle bushings. It bolts to cradle and body but… the cradle still retains the soft bushings which will move. My convertible has bracing in the rear and one of the bushings are giving way(the small fronts).

If or when you ever decide to put new cradle bushings in; it’s fairly easy and doesn’t require dropping the cradle except enough to get a large socket between body and bushing then heat up cradle to melt old bushing out with a jack. There’s some info in the forum if needed. Key is cleaning the melted plastic out prior to new bushing install. I digress

Good luck and any upgrade is helps.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #25
Joe.G

I see BMR offers Poly but I don't see solids, Also are the 14-15 OEM bushings better than earlier ones? The brace is on back order with no ETA, I read so many different things about the installation.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 10-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #26
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
I see BMR offers Poly but I don't see solids, Also are the 14-15 OEM bushings better than earlier ones? The brace is on back order with no ETA, I read so many different things about the installation.
Phastek has Hendrix solids. That’s what I ordered but I haven’t used those although they are similar to the pfadt ones I put in the Z28.

The z28 and zl1(maybe the 1le) both use an upgraded bushing. I just picked up my ZLE and the rear walks so bad compared to z28, I had to get solids in it plus I found the collapsed bushing. Not sure why it was bad. But the z28 even felt better after putting solids in and that’s only short spirited drives that I could tell.

I wouldn’t hesitate putting bmr poly’s in as well.
You’ll enjoy either choice.
The evil backorder. Seems everything is nowadays

I’ll be doing the solids in the next week or so, so let me know if you have questions.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #27
gtstorey

[QUOTE=oachalon;11081606]I cant say for myself if it works, but the one hotchkis brace actually bolts to the subframe and then to the body of the car. If that is the one hes talking about its not completely downstream.[/QUOTE
The one I saw on Hotchkis site looked like the 3 point bolt on similar to the BMR ones. I might not have looked at them enough, or they may have more than one type.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #28
Joe.G

Yes I saw the Hendricks ones but never heard of them until today. I hear solid are easier to install. Hopefully the brace is enough and then maybe in a year I'll buy a full rear bushing kit. Is an alignment required after a rear bushing kit?
SCT X4 Dynosteve,