Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
the delay on the video..then the let down on the video...now the delay on the price...is there some gumby at gm with jellybeans in a jar asking his 8 ball what to do? I'm already mapping out my spring and it would be nice to know if this is the car for me. How about it fbod.

...OR...is there some actual reason anyone can speculate on delaying the price further??? Conventional wisdom had mentioned October.

actually there is no delay on the price. We normally publish the price once we release an order guide - OR - in some cases just before we start shipping the cars (or trucks)

It's hard to price something when you are not done with all of the development.

We will release the price shortly.

I'm curious with your statement ".....it would be nice to know if this is the car for me..."

My questions to you:

What is your intention for the car you purchase? Is it to take it on a road course or autocross it?

-- OR - is it do drag race it?

-- OR -- is it to be a daily driver?

If "Yes" to Question 1 - this is possibly the car for you (based on price and affordability)

If "Yes" to questions 2 or 3 - this isn't the car for you -- I'd suggest the ZL1.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Reading is your friend......
I guess i need to read other stuff than car and driver..................just so you know all these things cost quite a bit coming from dealer. I'd say more than you think, i have worked in various manufacturing industries so i know how much mark ups work coming from GM. Then again i know they have added various components to compensate the cost savings. But it should not be anything over $65k(base no including anything else) my guess $59,999

"Weight is said to be down by some 300 pounds versus the ZL1 and 100 versus the SS, which would put it in the neighborhood of 3800 pounds. Still no flyweight, but you can’t say the Camaro engineers didn’t give it their all. Besides the A/C delete, other weight-saving measures include thinner rear glass, the use of manual front sport seats, deleting the tire-inflation kit (except where required by law), removing the interior sound deadening, tossing the trunk carpet, adopting a lighter battery, and removing HID headlamps and fog lights from consideration. There’s also no stereo. Chevy says it wanted to delete the audio system entirely, but that federal regulations required one speaker be left in the car for the seatbelt chime. The team also stripped out the unused wiring for the fog lamps, speakers, and A/C. Chevy says that the C7 Corvette fills its two-seat obligation, and so the rear seats stay. But the pass-through is gone and high-density foam has been subbed in for some of the weightier innards, so they’re nine pounds lighter."

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #17

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
The ZL1 convertible is $60,245*

*less cash offers. Tax, title, license and dealer fees extra. Take new retail delivery by 01/02/2014. Residency restrictions apply. Not available with finance and lease offers. See dealer for details.

http://www.chevrolet.com/2013-camaro...-zipcode=20001

And per Al O. and Scott S. - the Z/28 will be the most expensive camaro ever produced.
ZL-1 at the LA Auto Show had a 65K + sticker....

Z/28 has gotta be waaaaay more expensive....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
I'm kinda sad the price on the ZED seems to be creeping further and further up the speculation scale. That means it will be prohibitively expensive north of the border, and that means not only will I be forced to pass (less than stellar year), but so will others which means I may never get a ride in one. Sob.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
I guess i need to read other stuff than car and driver..................just so you know all these things cost quite a bit coming from dealer. I'd say more than you think, i have worked in various manufacturing industries so i know how much mark ups work coming from GM. Then again i know they have added various components to compensate the cost savings. But it should not be anything over $65k(base no including anything else) my guess $59,999

"Weight is said to be down by some 300 pounds versus the ZL1 and 100 versus the SS, which would put it in the neighborhood of 3800 pounds. Still no flyweight, but you can’t say the Camaro engineers didn’t give it their all. Besides the A/C delete, other weight-saving measures include thinner rear glass, the use of manual front sport seats, deleting the tire-inflation kit (except where required by law), removing the interior sound deadening, tossing the trunk carpet, adopting a lighter battery, and removing HID headlamps and fog lights from consideration. There’s also no stereo. Chevy says it wanted to delete the audio system entirely, but that federal regulations required one speaker be left in the car for the seatbelt chime. The team also stripped out the unused wiring for the fog lamps, speakers, and A/C. Chevy says that the C7 Corvette fills its two-seat obligation, and so the rear seats stay. But the pass-through is gone and high-density foam has been subbed in for some of the weightier innards, so they’re nine pounds lighter."
You won't see one for $59,999 - sorry.

You can doubt me all you want, but I'm telling you it'll be close (if not just over) $85,000
Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
You won't see one for $59,999 - sorry.

You can doubt me all you want, but I'm telling you it'll be close (if not just over) $85,000
They wouldn't even sell their quota at that price. I'll be suprised if it cracks 70k.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #21
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
They wouldn't even sell their quota at that price. I'll be suprised if it cracks 70k.
It will be high enough that most won't be able to buy it and I certainly couldn't justify paying what they are going to want for a depreciating asset...I know it will be an awesome Camaro, but you got to draw the line somewhere...besides, love my 1LE...
Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
actually there is no delay on the price. We normally publish the price once we release an order guide - OR - in some cases just before we start shipping the cars (or trucks)

It's hard to price something when you are not done with all of the development.

We will release the price shortly.

I'm curious with your statement ".....it would be nice to know if this is the car for me..."

My questions to you:

What is your intention for the car you purchase? Is it to take it on a road course or autocross it?

-- OR - is it do drag race it?

-- OR -- is it to be a daily driver?

If "Yes" to Question 1 - this is possibly the car for you (based on price and affordability)

If "Yes" to questions 2 or 3 - this isn't the car for you -- I'd suggest the ZL1.
fbod...thanks for the reply...your pict with the bat is great. I actually had lunch with "Vito" from the Sopranos today...he knows the power of a bat for sure.

This car was made for me. Beginning at bridgehampton in 82 I think I have the seat time to really appreciate and more importantly "USE" this car to it's fullest. I stopped racing scca t1 in 05 and I have been just enjoying punishing pcars, ferraris and most everything that shows up at northeast DE events. I have owned very fast street cars over the years and always drove them in all weather. Since you have not finished the ordering system please add my wish list:

optional non-trofeos (offer a 4 season tire in the same dimensions…what is on the zl1?, my streets will be my track rains and I will run Hoosier A6 or Goodyear slicks at the track)

optional non-carbon rotors. I would go through a set of carbons by next fall and certainly can't afford replacements…I'm not endurance racing…I will throw in steel.

optional "track package" with black simpson 5 point belts with a bolt in crossbar (factory designed) for the shoulder belts, this also includes a slit in the seat for the sub belt and both front and rear red tow rings

now back to price…price means a lot to me…over 75 and I will have to rethink all this and might go with a used viper instead. Higher makes less sense as the car for me.

I will hammer it at the autocross…maybe 4 or 5 times a season…so that leaves me with a strong yes for #1 and light yes for #3 and I will drive it not daily but much more often than you guys designed it for…unless you price me in another direction. I hope "shortly" means next week
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
The quota is ~3,000 over two model years, and prepared to be surprised.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #24
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
It will be high enough that most won't be able to buy it and I certainly couldn't justify paying what they are going to want for a depreciating asset...I know it will be an awesome Camaro, but you got to draw the line somewhere...besides, love my 1LE...
I with you on that. The Z/28 definitely is made with top shelf parts and the latest and greatest technology but I just don't see it costing 85K. I'm not one of these crazies guessing $49K or $55K but I think $85K is almost COPO territory.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #25
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
The quota is ~3,000 over two model years, and prepared to be surprised.
Definitely possible, just not what I'm guessing. Heck, we almost gave up hope of them even making this car so we should just be glad it's coming.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
TannerJPowell

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
At 85 you may be better of building your own! The whole point of the zl1 is that you can't build one for that price (that is that reliable, with warranty, etc etc.). You can have a whole Lotta camaro for 70k!
TannerJPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #27
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I picked up a new magazine when I was at Wal-Mart on Sunday called Maximum Drive, because it had a Z/28 article in it that I wanted to read. In the specs list which they call "2014 Camaro Z/28 Facts at Glance", it says: Base Sticker Price: $54,350. It doesn't say "estimated" or anything. If this is for real, it's actually less expensive than I was expecting. I think in one of GM's press releases they said that it was going to be the most expensive Camaro ever. Since the base on a ZL1 convertible is almost 60k, I was expecting it to be somewhat north of that.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #28
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
I must admit I love this car and if ever given the chance to own it would drive it on track only and the occasional country drive around 32 mile while folks are at church on Sunday mornings..... However, $85k?!?!? Man you can pick up 2013 z07 C6s all day long for that money. I understand north of ZL1 but that is north as in the next planet.

$60-65k I would say OK, you are getting a serious motor, suspension and brakes and could explain somewhat being worth it.....