Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
You can't really call either show more accurate. Although Tiff Needell is a former race driver if I'm not mistaken. Jeremy has been in the automotive journalism business for a long time and has driven a lot of cars. Fifth Gear does deal with a bit more facts, but Top Gear gives you driving impressions. Which is really all you can ask for. If a car in the hands of a pro does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, you can't guarantee it'll do that for everyone. And besides, are you really going to base your car buying decision on the assumption that it does 0-60 .1 second faster than it's competition? Wouldn't you rather get an impression of how it feels behind the wheel?

Fifth Gear does a decent job but I think when they do try humor, it's never as well executed as Top Gear. But numbers are nice for comparison.

Last edited by MajorTom; 09-30-2008 at 04:58 PM.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i watched a bunch of fifth gear on the web, it sucks ill keep my top gear please, and hopefully top gear america will be good too
TOP GEAR IS COMING TO AMERICA ???? that would be awesome
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #17
CHVY4LF
Chevrolet For Life!!

Drives: 07 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
I thought it was pretty funny and i also liked how he jumped it

Future Plate: PNYHNTR
Camaro of Choice: 2010 SS 6.2L 6M IOM
Current Ride: 2007 Silverado Classic Ext. Cab 5.3L DBM

CHVY4LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
MajorTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
TOP GEAR IS COMING TO AMERICA ???? that would be awesome
They're making an american version with an american cast. I think it'll be ok. It's going to have Adam Corolla, formerly of love line and the man show in it as well as some other people.

I like Adam Corolla, but I have a feeling it'll lack the charm that made the British version great. Clarkson is so ridiculously opinionated and makes such bold statements that he forces you to listen and he's somewhat clever and charming. Plus, they have the advantage of nice british accents that you can't help but like.

Perhaps they'll give the british cars a good ribbing and say how the only major british car companies were owned by American companies right up til a few years ago.

Also, one of the guys on Fifth Gear was burned in a car fire while filming for the show a season or two ago. His name is Jason Plato. When Clarkson of Top Gear announced it on their news segment, He called him Jason Baked Potato. Will they ever be able to match that tasteful(less?) irreverence on American TV?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
USA1Camaro

Drives: 2004 GTO
I like it when he says "We're gonna die" as he goes through the curves.
USA1Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
The Challenger was featued on the speed channel the other night. Dont remember the race car drivers name but they had the car in the salt flats and the cars top end was 170mph. So if a challenger can do it so can a camaro.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
The Challenger was featued on the speed channel the other night. Dont remember the race car drivers name but they had the car in the salt flats and the cars top end was 170mph. So if a challenger can do it so can a camaro.
Kyle Petty?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #22
MajorTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
Not saying I disagree with you, but what is your reason for saying "if a challenger can do it so can a camaro?"
Old 09-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

less weight, better aero, similar power?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #24
MajorTom

Like I said. I agree. But at those speeds, aerodynamics, gearing and power have more to do with it than weight. Which explains why the SRT cars are able to hit those speeds at all. I'm gonna guess that the Camaro delimited (I'm pretty sure the SRT cars come without a limiter) will do better than that. The GTO was able to do just under 180 without limiter. If the Camaro has better power and is slightly less slippery, it'll do that at least.

I asked because people here have compared the Camaro to the 911 in handling. That's absurd. I just wanted to clarify that the people making statements like that actually knew why they were true.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I asked because people here have compared the Camaro to the 911 in handling. That's absurd. I just wanted to clarify that the people making statements like that actually knew why they were true.
not "absurd"...just a strech...
Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #26
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Like I said. I agree. But at those speeds, aerodynamics, gearing and power have more to do with it than weight. Which explains why the SRT cars are able to hit those speeds at all. I'm gonna guess that the Camaro delimited (I'm pretty sure the SRT cars come without a limiter) will do better than that. The GTO was able to do just under 180 without limiter. If the Camaro has better power and is slightly less slippery, it'll do that at least.

dont worry we will show you.....
Old 10-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
not "absurd"...just a strech...
Absurd would be saying "Wow, this 911 handles like a Camaro!"

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #28
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
we have more weight to hold our tires to the ground.....