Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Best Wet-Weather Tires? Wheels? TPMS?

I'm looking to have a second set of wheels/tires; these will only be used on the street -- for longer drives to far-away tracks -- and on the track for cool and damp conditions.

The two tires that seem to come up the most are:

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R ~ AND ~ Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Everyone seems to know the Michelins, and they're highly rated, but the Yokos are fairly new.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Also, since the factory wheels are not yet available, I'm looking at two wheels:

Forgeline GA3

AND

Finspeed F11

My old track-day car used to auto-recognize the TPMS sensors. I could change from my track set to street set and the car would "handshake" with the wheels once they started to move. This made is super simple to switch wheels without having to reset the TPMS system.

I understand this is far more difficult with the TPMS on the Z/28 -- could someone elaborate on the best way to handle this? Forgeline tells me I can send them my OE TPMS sensors, and that they can program the replacements to the same coding so that my two sets are interchangeable. Would love to hear more from someone with experience in this...
Old 04-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Just buy another set of tires for it?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Just buy another set of tires for it?
i think he wants to swap wheels/tires at the track
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
i think he wants to swap wheels/tires at the track
Yes, that's right. I plan on installing the "street" set before driving to more distant tracks, and switching to the Trofeos once I get there. I live very close to Sears Point, so if the weather is anything like today, I'd be using the "street" set for both the drive and the track. There was hail earlier, so I don't think the Trofeo R's would be a whole lot of fun...
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
BRT3, I wouldn't stress over the TPMS....Personally, I don't even have it for my track tires and wheels....I take my street tires on and off all the time, the system recognizes them right away as long as they are put back on the original corners....In the case of a Z/28, you would probably want the sensors for your original track tires and wheels, so swapping those back to their original spot shouldn't be a problem....

Getting a second set of TPMS sensors for your street tires and wheels might be more trouble than it's worth....

Anyway, good luck....hope this helps....Most people hassle the tmps all the time, me I just ignore it anyhow....lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I have a little experience with the Michelin PSS...and they are the best tire period...I was consistently in the top 3 autocrossing in the rain at Midwest Muscle Car and Run to Music City last year. The top 3 Modern Muscle Cars at Hotchkis Autocross last weekend were all running PSS, and our times where in the top 5 of all cars running...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295369
Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I have a little experience with the Michelin PSS...and they are the best tire period...I was consistently in the top 3 autocrossing in the rain at Midwest Muscle Car and Run to Music City last year. The top 3 Modern Muscle Cars at Hotchkis Autocross last weekend were all running PSS, and our times where in the top 5 of all cars running...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295369
Wow, SoCal -- impressive thread and quite the testimonial for these tires! Thanks for the info...
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Got an update on the TPMS sensors from the SM at my dealership:

As far as I know, the TPMS sensors will have to be re-learned to the car every time the wheels are switched. I have to do this when I switch between our AutoX and Road Course wheels and tires. It is a simple procedure and only takes 30-60 seconds. I would assume the Z/28 will operate the same as all the other GM performance vehicles and different wheels and tires can be easily learned. I had to buy a $100 tool that programs the TMPS units to the car with the press of a button. It is basically the same tool that GM sells, but significantly less money.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Looks like this is what's required to keep TPMS working after changing from one set of wheels/tires to another: TPMS ACTIVATION TOOL

Tool Number: EL-50448
Price (USD): $70.62
Tool Name: Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool

NOTICE: SPECIAL NON-DEALER PRICING IS $55.62
(Not the price shown above, in your shopping cart or on the order confirmation. Pricing adjustment will be made after order is submitted).

For certain vehicles equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system, a "Sensor Re-Learn Procedure" must be performed after tire rotations, Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Module replacement or Tire Pressure Sensor replacement. This re-learn procedure can be performed by using special tool EL-50448.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Bridgestone Re11s are an amazing tire that will last longer than the Michelins, but don't know if they offer Camaro sizes.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
They come in a 305/30/19
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
don't forget giving John Purner a call at CCW http://www.ccwheel.com/wheels.php

Awesome wheels built for racing and big with the Viper/Vette T1 crowd for many years.

I'm in the same boat here but the prices of the stock wheels were actually less than I expected so maybe they will become available. Does GM actually make these?
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
don't forget giving John Purner a call at CCW http://www.ccwheel.com/wheels.php

Awesome wheels built for racing and big with the Viper/Vette T1 crowd for many years.

I'm in the same boat here but the prices of the stock wheels were actually less than I expected so maybe they will become available. Does GM actually make these?
Thanks for the heads up; I'll check them out. I'd never heard of Finspeed either, but my SM swears by them and runs them on his Katech'ed Z06. They look pretty good and also offer knurled rims, to prevent tire walk...

I don't know who's making the OEM Z/28 wheels. It will be interesting to see how soon someone can snag a pair, as I'm having zero luck so far. Same with replacement Trofeo Rs...
Old 04-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
I'm going back to Hoosiers or Goodyear slicks...trofeos are nice but tooooo much for a "consumable" with the low treadwear.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote