Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Been a week...Bubbles still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Hey I am a ventuerShield isntaller and what you are stating sounds normal. It has to cure just like tint does and normally takes a week or so to fully cure out. If it takes longer then take it back and have him look at it. Sometimes there is a little touching up required to finish the job. It all depends on how good the installer is. but what you are describing is very normal and there is no need to worry. PM me if you have any questions. I will be out of town this weekend for work but will try and check it.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Umm, no, not normal. Even with new tint I've never seen SOAP under the tint as you described. Sounds like some of the clear bra had more soap on it that other pieces. They dried quicker and the soap is stuck in the middle. Never put one on myself, but some folks here are comparing it to tint and I have done that. The job sounds like a mistake was made.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
hope they don't give you a bunch of crap.good luch.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Umm, no, not normal. Even with new tint I've never seen SOAP under the tint as you described. Sounds like some of the clear bra had more soap on it that other pieces. They dried quicker and the soap is stuck in the middle. Never put one on myself, but some folks here are comparing it to tint and I have done that. The job sounds like a mistake was made.
The biggest difference between the paint protection films and window films is in the stretching required. Curved rear windows are nothing compared to stretching film around a bumper or the corners of a car. Over-stretching can cause distortion that makes the film have clarity issues in spots. This may be what the OP has on his car. But, you have to understand that 6 mil+ thick vinyl film can take considerable time to completely cure out - longer than window film. Maybe a couple days in the hot summer sun, but can be 2 weeks or more in cooler climates.

Maybe the OP can post up some pictures and it will give us a better idea of the issues with it.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Like I said earlier, I've seen a lot of clear bra's, some the day after the install and never have I found bubbles in them.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #20
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bng804 View Post
The biggest difference between the paint protection films and window films is in the stretching required. Curved rear windows are nothing compared to stretching film around a bumper or the corners of a car. Over-stretching can cause distortion that makes the film have clarity issues in spots. This may be what the OP has on his car. But, you have to understand that 6 mil+ thick vinyl film can take considerable time to completely cure out - longer than window film. Maybe a couple days in the hot summer sun, but can be 2 weeks or more in cooler climates.

Maybe the OP can post up some pictures and it will give us a better idea of the issues with it.
I agree with posting pictures. We can only guess without them. But, if there is soap trapped under the material and it's still there, that doesn't sound right to me.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #21
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
Ide wait and see if it dries up. If not go back and get it changed. A respectable installer should do it.
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #22
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Just take it back to the installer and he will touch it up. If the bubbles are a light color then there is air inside the bubble. Its a very easy fix... pierce it with a needle and push it down. Without seeing any photos its hard for me to tell what is going on. Like I said though it is an easy fix so just stop by his shop and have him take care of it real quick.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #23
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

They are definitely air bubbles that are dried inside. A couple appear to have gotten smaller but are still present. Weve had low to mid 60's here but I think the wife has been parking it in the shade at her work. The problem with just dropping it off is the installer isnt actually where I live. He travels here from down the road to do the bra installs. Ill snap some pics tonight and get them out on the post. Sorry...Been tied up with other stuff.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #24
DetailAddict

Drives: .
how much did you pay for the install btw? and how big of a coverage?
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #25
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

$500 for full front, partial hood, mirrors, door handles, and gills. Heres a crappy cell pic I took at lunch time.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #26
DetailAddict

Drives: .
partial fender as well? reason i asked because, hate to say it, you get what you paid for... :( not sure what the price range is in your area... but a GOOD clear bra job would run u $800-$900 for partial hood/fender, full front and mirrors easily in the bay area, CA...

and yeah, what you got there is NOT acceptable at all!
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #27
garcmol

No amount of curing is going to "cure" that.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #28
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Yeah, thats pretty bad. This is a classic example of why you dont go with the lowest bidder. Make sure he comes to you and fixes it (which is possible if he knows what he is doing) or replaces it at no cost to you. Those are unacceptable.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote