Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
wingman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS (very soon)
Experience with 3M polishes/glazes?

Hello All! My 2SS (IBM) is arriving next week, and I am new to the detailing world. A colleague of mine that builds show cars recommended the 3M polishes & glazes, but he had no personal experience with either Zaino or Adams products. I'm interested in anyone's personal experience and opinions on the 3M products, as well as any comparative evaluations relative to the other products discussed elsewhere in this forum (Zaino, Adams, McGuire's, Mother's, etc.).

Thanks in advance
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
3M makes decent car care products. Most of their line is targeted towards industrial grade polishing (body shops). But you can pick up quite a few products that they make they work great.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
Hello All! My 2SS (IBM) is arriving next week, and I am new to the detailing world. A colleague of mine that builds show cars recommended the 3M polishes & glazes, but he had no personal experience with either Zaino or Adams products. I'm interested in anyone's personal experience and opinions on the 3M products, as well as any comparative evaluations relative to the other products discussed elsewhere in this forum (Zaino, Adams, McGuire's, Mother's, etc.).

Thanks in advance
Well, Paul Daulton, the worlds best detailer uses nothing but 3M products with application to his crystal rock wax, but I don't know how great it would work for a beginner. To maximize the effect of a particular product you must follow directions to the letter, which I'm sure he does. I won't go as far to say "3M" is only for in house pros, but what I will say is its for more experienced detailers, because in the wrong hands some of they're "industrial " grade products can be lethal to your cars paint.

My advice is since your just starting out and your about to get your car, start off with Adams, and if not, then mcguires. They're both pretty user friendly. But Adams is backed by what id consider the best customer service in the business. How many products will you get to talk to the owner of? Not many if none at all. Start off with adams.

Now remember, many times the end result of your detail often depends on the time and technique put into using a particular product. In another words, with adams products or even mcguires for that matter, if used properly you could achieve phenomenal results which looks indistinguishable to that of higher priced products such as high grade wax and glazes. Have fun with your gorgeous car, and remember, keep it clean!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Well, Paul Daulton, the worlds best detailer uses nothing but 3M products with application to his crystal rock wax, but I don't know how great it would work for a beginner. To maximize the effect of a particular product you must follow directions to the letter, which I'm sure he does. I won't go as far to say "3M" is only for in house pros, but what I will say is its for more experienced detailers, because in the wrong hands some of they're "industrial " grade products can be lethal to your cars paint.
That dude is Crazy he also use $13,000 wax

I use 3M hand glaze a lot especially on fresh paint, I apply it as I dry the car something my painter taught me a long time ago. works good especially on new paint.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
That dude is Crazy he also use $13,000 wax

I use 3M hand glaze a lot especially on fresh paint, I apply it as I dry the car something my painter taught me a long time ago. works good especially on new paint.
Yea, his wax is probably 13k over there in the UK, but here it's just $1100.00,.....and I don't say that as if that's cheap either. But glazes are good if you want to keep your car with the wet fresh look, like it just came out of the factory. We just need to make sure we're all applying it as directed for maximum results!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
wingman

Thanks for the input, guys. I've been leaning towards starting with Adams anyway, but wanted to check out alternatives before spending money on all of this. I'm pretty meticulous, so I'm sure I'd be fine with any of these, but the Adams customer service means a lot for a newbie like me ;-)
Old 05-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I've been leaning towards starting with Adams anyway, but wanted to check out alternatives before spending money on all of this. I'm pretty meticulous, so I'm sure I'd be fine with any of these, but the Adams customer service means a lot for a newbie like me ;-)
Wingman, when you go to buy ANY of Adams products, just remember to put "junkman" in the "COUPON OR GIFT CARD" box and it will save you 10% on the purchase! the BOX in close to the bottom of the shopping cart.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
wingman

Sir Nuke - Thanks for the tip! I've read some of Junkman's posts, but I was unaware of this discount.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
You cant beat Farecla polish.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
3M polishes are great. You do have to know what products to use and how to use them, but in the hands of a pro they are second to none.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
sstphoenix

Drives: Black 2LT RS 5th gen
I use mguires gold class soap. simply amazing.
I tried 2 cleaners for mags, armorall's and mguires, armoralls was better.

I use 4 different mits for the car.
1 to do the bottom half of the car
then i use another for the entire car
then i use another cloth for rims
and another for the tires

as the mits get used n dirtied n stained with grease (i greased the car for our kind of weather) it gets downgraded to one of the uses i mentioned.

i go through about 2 new mits a year (about 8 months)

remember to only use the suds to clean the car. n to clean your mit when it shows visible dirt.

so far not a single swirl on the car.

as for 3M... I used the compound for "dark cars" to help remove some rock scratches i got. They became practically invisible unless your 4 inches away. then you can see a small line indentation where the scratch was. almost invisible. of course, then you put your wax back on.

lastly i use microfibre towels to slide the water off the car.

i bought one of those dusters for when the car just gets dusty, but havent used it yet. my main enemy so far is our acid rain. black cars are my favorite, but damn they need to be cleaned often.
sstphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
JMS

Drives: IOM Black stripes, A6, IO interior.
I have used 3M products, they produce great results, but if a person without much or any experience can butcher a paint job in a hurry. I have not used Zaino and am trying Adams products now. I would, if just in the early stages of getting in detailing stick with the Adams products or Zaino. Most of the stuff on the shelve at Walmarts and Auto parts stores do work pretty good and produce satisfactory results. Meguiars to me gives the best results from the off the shelve products, but this is just my opinion.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
mtbikerinme83

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3-M6
I love 3M car care products. I particularly like their carnuba wax. No cleaner, just straight carnuba. It goes on smooth and doesn't come off too hard, but lasts a long time.

Previously:
2010 IBM 2SS LS3-M6
CAI intake with JRE race scoop, VMax TB, Solo HF Catted Mid pipes, and JRE SCT tune
mtbikerinme83 is offline   Reply With Quote