Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 02-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
JJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Still can't see it, will check later. I run the forum for the XK8/R Enthusiasts Club (XKEC). Started back in 2004 using very basic phpBB templates. It is very out-dated now and the club owner needs to transition the database into a modern look and feel, but the only thing I really had to worry about was running cleanup on the database every couple of days. That and moderating it.

It was easy to manage once the initial configuration was in place. I restricted it to members only because I used to get a lot of crap posts and advertising posted. Watch out for internet bots and make sure you got the necessary in place to stop them (i.e. for registration make sure there is text verification through images etc).

Apart from that my only advise is to keep it clean and simple and do not over complicate it. The more add-ons and extras you bolt on means more time you will need to spend reinstalling when it comes to maintenance or software upgrades.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing it! Will check later.
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #16
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks good! I like the black personally...here is the website I made for our club:

www.arklatexcamaroclub.com

We want to add a private forum to our site for the club officers to utilize that no one else can view, but I'm not quite sure how to do that at this point in time...if you know of a way, let me know! Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
JJ

I used the open source provided at http://www.phpbb.com/

There are other pre-built forum packages so search to find which one suites you the best. Your server will have to support SQL for the above.

In short, you download the package, create a directory for it on your webserver, and then upload the package to that directory. Once uploaded login as administrator and configure to your hearts content!

There a lots of help guides at the above site and also a forum to ask questions. Yes, you will have to do a little reading, but it is pretty easy once you get going.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #18
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
My advice would be to dump SMF and stay away from phpbb unless you are an experienced php coder looking to use them as a base to code your own custom forums.

I have run quite a few successful forums and have now migrated them all to either vBulletin (like Camaro5) or Invision Power Board. If your site takes off, you'll save yourself a lot of heart ache by starting out with a quality platform like vBulletin. I've been there, and have tried to skimp by on open source scripts like phpbb, SMF, and MyBB, but the cost of VB and IPBoard are well worth it for an active site.

Good luck with your site and maybe sometime we can plan a dual meet between the DFW folks and your northern neighbors.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
it looks WAY better now....you just got 1 more user!
www.lonestarcamaro.com
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I want vbulletin but 195 bucks is a lot of money if my site fails, I would be more then happy to set up meets with you guys

Last edited by UnknownWarrior; 02-23-2011 at 08:11 PM.
UnknownWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #21
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bng804 View Post
Good luck with your site and maybe sometime we can plan a dual meet between the DFW folks and your northern neighbors.
Same applies for your eastern neighbors too!! We do a cruise to Marshall, TX every month!! Would be cool to meet up!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
JJ

Quote:
My advice would be to dump SMF and stay away from phpbb unless you are an experienced php coder looking to use them as a base to code your own custom forums.

I have run quite a few successful forums and have now migrated them all to either vBulletin (like Camaro5) or Invision Power Board. If your site takes off, you'll save yourself a lot of heart ache by starting out with a quality platform like vBulletin. I've been there, and have tried to skimp by on open source scripts like phpbb, SMF, and MyBB, but the cost of VB and IPBoard are well worth it for an active site.
I agree !!!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMOKINHOT View Post
Same applies for your eastern neighbors too!! We do a cruise to Marshall, TX every month!! Would be cool to meet up!
Will do, maybe I should of made a camaro only site lol I would like to have a mass camaro meet or something in DFW if you all were down for it
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post
Will do, maybe I should of made a camaro only site lol I would like to have a mass camaro meet or something in DFW if you all were down for it
That would be cool. The OKCamaros group will be down for the Laps For Charity event at Texas Motor Speedway in May.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #25
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Quote:
That would be cool. The OKCamaros group will be down for the Laps For Charity event at Texas Motor Speedway in May.
Sweet
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #26
T/A Taz

Drives: was 2010 SS/RS Cyber Gray
I think it looks nice!

Speaking from experience, it is a very ambitious venture with the wide verity of topics you got listed. Hats off to you man for taking this on.

I think the color skin you picked out is great for guys, very gear-headish so to speak. I think some color in the topic threads would add pop to the site, but this comes from a girl's perspective.

I know websites are expensive so you have the right idea to keep the expenses down until you have to make the next step up in size and price. Keep up the good work.

The evil global oligarchy can Suck my tailpipe and Kiss my SS
T/A Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #27
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/A Taz View Post
I think it looks nice!

Speaking from experience, it is a very ambitious venture with the wide verity of topics you got listed. Hats off to you man for taking this on.

I think the color skin you picked out is great for guys, very gear-headish so to speak. I think some color in the topic threads would add pop to the site, but this comes from a girl's perspective.

I know websites are expensive so you have the right idea to keep the expenses down until you have to make the next step up in size and price. Keep up the good work.
thanks hopefully i can get some more people to join up or im gonna shut it down before my renewal date :( so if you got friends with anything that might fit let them know and have them join
Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #28
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Anthony,

That is looking good now !! I love the new colors !!
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote