Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #57
sstnt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
Thanks for starting this thread! I went and checked after I saw it. 2 nuts were loose (1/2 turn or more), 1 was a little loose (1/4 turn), and 1 was tight. Glad I checked or I would have had one running around in there sometime in the future.

I'll check again in a few weeks and if they are starting to back out again, I'll nylock them.
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #58
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
ours needed 1/2 turn, checked it today

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #59
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Good call. I just went out and found 3 of the 4 were loose. One was almost off, the other two only a little loose, and the 4th was tight
Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #60
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
I checked mine yesterday and they were all tight, but thanks for the warning.
Put the Locktite on them. Everyone that has one should do this.

Prevents them from vibrating loose. I listed the type to use above (don't use the wrong locktite or it's pain to get off).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #61
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This seems to be a pretty standard occurance... Dealerships need to be checking them all prior to delivery... Time for GM to send out a bulliten
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #62
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Checked mine, pretty loose but not finger loose. Good lookin out!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #63
2SSONLY

Drives: FAST!
This has been posted before. Many of the ones that are loose or missing are on the driver's side. I had two come off before I saw the thread. Now I've got two rolling around in my trunk lid. What a pain in the arse.

Replaced with nylocks so they won't vibrate loose.
2SSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #64
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
I Just Had This Problem!

This past weekend I opened my trunk and heard what sounded like a nut rolling around inside my trunk lid.

So I just read this post and decided to pop off the little plastic covers.

Three of the nuts were so loose that I was able to slip a 10mm socket over them and tighten them by hand before snugging them down.

One of the nuts was off completely. So I tried for about half an hour to fish it out with a very strong magnet (with a thick plastic bag around it). I was able to find the nut, but was never quite able to fish it all the way out.

So I put the magnet on the inside of the trunk lid and took my Camaro for a spin, hoping the nut would be jarred around and would be stuck to the magnet when I got home. But that didn't work...

So I parked on the steep incline of my driveway, popped the trunk a few times, and "slammed" it a few times. It eventually worked it's way back to the holes where the bolts are and fell out when I opened the trunk the final time.

Tightened everything down and put the covers back on.

This is a really sh*tty thing to have happen to your brand new car. I dreaded taking it back to the dealer to fish out the nut... then getting the car back with a brand new nut on the bolt, and the old one tumbling around inside the trunk lid.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #65
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Wish I would have seen this thread.. got to work today, popped the trunk to get my bag, and I hear a nut flying around inside. Left side of the spoiler is coming off of the car. Tightened up the remaining bolt on the left side, which was about to fall off. Anybody have success stories for fishing the nut out?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #66
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBL WMR View Post
Wish I would have seen this thread.. got to work today, popped the trunk to get my bag, and I hear a nut flying around inside. Left side of the spoiler is coming off of the car. Tightened up the remaining bolt on the left side, which was about to fall off. Anybody have success stories for fishing the nut out?
Yeah dude, read mine.

If you get too frustrated with it, then take it back to the dealer.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #67
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Going to check mine when I get home. On a thread jacking side note a friend of mine had a jetta that had a tink sound when going around corners. After 2 years he found it. A big washer hanging by a string inside the passenger door. Some comedian at the factory must have hung it there
Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #68
camarokev
camaro #2449

Drives: 2010 iom 2ss/rs, 03 avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I remember reading in one treads about missing spoiler bolts... (can't find that thread. maybe someone can link to it.)

My spoiler feels completely tight, but for grins I pulled the plastic caps off the access holes and found ALL 4 were LESS than finger tight. Would not have been long before they fell off and started floating around inside the trunk lid.

My spoiler has never been off,,, even for stripe installation. Since the nuts are covered and spoiler feels tight this is something that could easily be missed in QC inspections. Maybe they left them that way for cars getting stripe installs. My installer didn't need to remove the spoiler

Do youself a favor next time you're in the trunk... pull the caps off and check...

A 10mm deepwell socket and ratchet will fix you up...

mine and my buddies were both loose too, he actually lost a nut!
Built: 4/2/09
Delivered: 6/10/09
camarokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #69
Quackaddict

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Black on Black
awsome good looking out mine were tight but good to check.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #70
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
It's more than just some loose nuts

My 1SS spoiler nuts were loose after I took delivery of the car.

I tightened them and thought the issue was addressed.

I decided to check the spoiler nuts two weeks later and two of the four had become somewhat loose yet again!

That's when I decided to replace the factory supplied nuts with nylon locking nuts. I now have a couple weeks with the nylon locking nuts in place and they are staying tight.

The issue appears to be more of a part (nut) issue rather than assembly issue.

I would strongly suggest you either use some blue locktite or replace the factory nuts with nylon locking nuts.