Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #15
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
I like Castrol SRF. Expensive but worth it. I can run 18+ track days a year and just bleed it after each event. Flush at the end of the season.
I also changed over to Castrol SRF after using Motul 600 in the past. Went thru two bottles to flush and refill the system!

Last edited by ZL1-V; 10-08-2015 at 11:45 AM.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #16
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Everyone thank you for the responses. Motul 660 it is. I used to run Motul 600 and Castrol SRF in my Mustang. The Castrol gave me the most confidence in braking. We'll see how the Motul 660 does. Thanks again.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliveguy5 View Post
Everyone thank you for the responses. Motul 660 it is. I used to run Motul 600 and Castrol SRF in my Mustang. The Castrol gave me the most confidence in braking. We'll see how the Motul 660 does. Thanks again.
The SRF can't be beat, but is expensive. 660 has a higher dry boiling point, but absorbs water more quickly and has a lower wet point than 600. If you are changing every track day it is a very good choice. For someone planning on doing multiple events in a reasonably short time frame, the 600 may be better. 660 changed often is great though.

Have fun on the track!
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #18
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I like the motul 660. I have never had a problem with motul 660 fluid and I have run some serious heat through my brake system. All of my brake rotors retire from excessive heat cracking. I change it once a year and bleed out individuals calipers after a really hot track day. If you still share the brake fluid with your clutch, the GM clutches put more discoloration in the fluid than the brake system and you need to watch the color if you are beating on the clutch. I'd say if you change a clutch you should probably flush the fluid also.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #19
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Hello, Welcome to the area, what track are you planning to check out? Waterford? I live just a few miles from that track. Often thought about checking out the track days, maybe next year.

In the meantime, you should be fine with Motul 600. That is what I switched to and for track days you should be fine. If you get any more serious there is better fluid out there on the market.

Keep in mind if you switch the fluid be sure to run the aBS system and change all the fluid, should take nearly 2 pints. I bought 3 just in case, but never opened the third bottle.

Lastly since you are in the metro Detroit area, be sure to check out our Detroit 5th Gen Camaro Club.

http://detroit5thgen.com/
Old 10-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #20
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Hello, Welcome to the area, what track are you planning to check out? Waterford? I live just a few miles from that track. Often thought about checking out the track days, maybe next year.

In the meantime, you should be fine with Motul 600. That is what I switched to and for track days you should be fine. If you get any more serious there is better fluid out there on the market.

Keep in mind if you switch the fluid be sure to run the aBS system and change all the fluid, should take nearly 2 pints. I bought 3 just in case, but never opened the third bottle.

Lastly since you are in the metro Detroit area, be sure to check out our Detroit 5th Gen Camaro Club.

http://detroit5thgen.com/

Thank you for the welcome. Waterford has an open track day on Sunday so I figured I'd go check it out. I couldn't find many other tracks near the Detroit area if you know of any others please let me know. I'll let you know how the Motul 660 works as it's going in the car this afternoon. The track is only 1.5 miles long so I'm sure I'll get an idea for how the brakes work
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #21
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
I like Castrol SRF. Expensive but worth it. I can run 18+ track days a year and just bleed it after each event. Flush at the end of the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I also changed over to Castrol SRF after using Motul 600 in the past. Went thru two bottles to flush and refill the system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
The SRF can't be beat, but is expensive. 660 has a higher dry boiling point, but absorbs water more quickly and has a lower wet point than 600. If you are changing every track day it is a very good choice. For someone planning on doing multiple events in a reasonably short time frame, the 600 may be better. 660 changed often is great though.

Have fun on the track!
I find SRF to be the most economical fluid for those that track a 5th Gen. It is more expensive to start, but the wet boil is as high as many other premium track fluids. Some SRF users bleed after every event. Others run a schedule of every 4 events. Long term, SRF is a bargain and the Gold Standard for brake fluid in my experience.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #22
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
How often should I be changing fluid? Right now with no experience it is harder to get into track days... Will I be able to do a track day then be good as a street car for a while ?

I don't mind spending the extra money but I would like to do a tack day ... Every couple months with only changing fluids before the next event...
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #23
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post
How often should I be changing fluid? Right now with no experience it is harder to get into track days... Will I be able to do a track day then be good as a street car for a while ?

I don't mind spending the extra money but I would like to do a tack day ... Every couple months with only changing fluids before the next event...
You are exactly why I am a strong advocate for SRF. After the initial full flush, you should just be able to hit the track at will. As you progress and get more aggressive on track you'll want to do a bleed after every few events. Eventually you'll be all out with brake ducts and brake upgrades running so hard a bleed after every event will be the routine.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote