Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
My new Megan Racing Coilovers...pic heavy :-)

(UPDATE 12/21/13 I can no longer recommend these coilovers. After approximately 5000 miles both rears blew out. I contacted Megan and they immediately accused me installing them wrong. I have been working on cars since I was 15 and have installed multiple sets of coilovers, I know what I'm doing. I eventually convinced Megan to replace the two rear coilovers and received them 8 weeks later. By that time I had already paid $300 to have mine rebuild and revalved.
This started out as a good experience with Megan and turned into a nightmare. Maybe I was just unlucky and Megan coilovers are fine. I'm updating the thread because I think it's the responsible thing to do, not to bash Megan.)

Ok guys I wanted something lower than my 1" drop springs could offer me so I decided to go to coilovers. I did my research on C5 and google and I found Megan Racing which is a local company here in SoCal. I couldn't find any bad reviews about them online and I found another C5 who has been running these for a while and he loves them. Megan Racing is huge in the import and drift scene. I spoke to them a couple times on the phone and they were very helpful and answered all my questions. They also told me that they fully stand behind their parts and basically said short of me driving my car off a cliff they would fully warranty these and they are 100% rebuildable.

This was pretty straight forward install, everything fit perfect and I had zero issues. I took my time and played with different ride heights until I found something I liked. My first driving impressions are very good, the ride is great and the car is noticeably more responsive. I love it! I could not be happier with these, this might be my best mod yet. Enjoy!

Here some pics as they came out of the box

Last edited by ss/rs-matt; 12-21-2013 at 09:45 PM.
ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
ss/rs-matt

This is something I like to do when jacking up this car, it distributes the load a little and keeps the jack form bending stuff.

With my 1" drop springs I was at 28 3\4" in the front and 29 1\4" in the rear, I wanted another inch front and rear.

Before removing the front struts I marked this just to use as a reference, Ill still need and alignment but this will get me in the ballpark.

Once you get the strut off you'll need to remove the stock upper bushing. You need a spring compressor, a torx t-50 bit and a 15\16".

If you have '10 or newer you'll have to remove the foam insulator so the spring adapter will fit properly.

It should look like this when your done.

Now i played with the spring preload a little, basically what I did was set the the spring adjuster nut so that it just touched the spring right before compressing it. Then go about 5mm past that, which in my case set the spring at about 177mm.

Once the spring preload is set then you can set your ride height. This is were the experimenting comes in as it is up to you to decide what you like. I ended up with 5mm here, which gave me a 2" drop over stock in front.

Tighten everything up and reinstall.

Last edited by ss/rs-matt; 05-07-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
ss/rs-matt

Once you get the rear struts off you'll again have to remove the factory upper bushing. Again you'll need the spring compressor and this time a torx T-40 and 18mm.

Same thing again with the spring preload, spring seat just touching then about 5mm past that.

Ok, this is an extra step I took just to insure the rear adjuster cables never came loose. This is not necessary but I think its a good idea. First I lightly tighten the adjuster cable on the knob, this gave me my drilling location.

Then I punched a small starting point using the mark the set screw left.

Then I used 3\32" drill and made a very small recess, just enough for the set screw to bite into.

Then just tighten it down

Next I drilled 2 1\2" holes in the trunk for the adjuster cables. I took a piece of hose, slit it down the middle and made grommets. Then, reinstalled the rears.

Last edited by ss/rs-matt; 05-07-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
ss/rs-matt

I remeasured when I was done and finally decided this is the ride height I wanted. 28" front and 28 1\4" in the rear. I love the new stance!

Im really happy with my purchase, I think for the money this could be the best bang for the buck suspension mod you can do.

Let me know what you guys think!
Thanks!
Matt

Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
New wheels and wider tires to flush it! but it already looks nice!
Love the stance!

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
ss/rs-matt

Thanks! Wheels are next...vossen just released a new wheel. I can't wait!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Zyklon-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Nice pics man, this is the stance I want for my car

Last edited by Zyklon-SS; 05-07-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Zyklon-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
SS_Diaz

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to SS_Diaz
Car looks great. I was going to buy these back in the day but couldnt find any reviews on them.
SS_Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Diaz View Post
Car looks great. I was going to buy these back in the day but couldnt find any reviews on them.
Thanks man. I couldn't find any either but what I did find was that they are identical to another popular brand on here. Just relabeled and sold for less.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Dayum... you went a tad lower that I did...

Looks Awesome.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Thanks for the writup! I've been waiting for this.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhog View Post
Thanks for the writup! I've been waiting for this.
No problem!

Last edited by ss/rs-matt; 05-07-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
MPG1959

Drives: 2012 45th SS
I have been looking at theses as well. I heard they were rebuildable but haven't seen any rebuild kits available. Hows the ride? bumps?
MPG1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Glad you like them. After about a month of driving (if its a DD) they will fully settle in. Meaning that they will be broken in and it will be a tad bit lower. Might need to adjust them again (higher) when that time comes. That goes for any coilovers or springs tho. You will love them and for the price, you cant beat them. They are exactly the same as the BCs.
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote