Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Thunder1

Drives: Acura Type-S, Honda Pilot
V6 Camaro vs BMW328, Honda V6, Nissan V6 Coupes

Guys, I think a natural market for the Camaro V6 is the one habituated by the new/used BMW 328 and the new Honda/Nissan/Hyundai V6 coupes...certainly the Camaro matches the Beemer in accelearation tests for 0-60 and 1/4 miles times, edges out both the Honda and the Nissan, and nearly matches the Hyundai...it would seem to nearly match the Beemer/Hyundai in handling qualities and because of its' rear wheel drive construction, surpass the handling qualities of both the Honda and the Nissan...

So, questions like exterior/interior looks are factors that come up next..realizing taste is an individual thing, I think the Camaro and Beemer are at the head of this class...

So, then, how about maintenance and its' costs??..how do they then all fare against each other???...I have a hunch that the Camaro V6, over the long term, might be the cheapest to own, operate, and modify...

What do the rest of you guys think???
Thunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder1 View Post
Guys, I think a natural market for the Camaro V6 is the one habituated by the new/used BMW 328 and the new Honda/Nissan/Hyundai V6 coupes...certainly the Camaro matches the Beemer in accelearation tests for 0-60 and 1/4 miles times, edges out both the Honda and the Nissan, and nearly matches the Hyundai...it would seem to nearly match the Beemer/Hyundai in handling qualities and because of its' rear wheel drive construction, surpass the handling qualities of both the Honda and the Nissan...

So, questions like exterior/interior looks are factors that come up next..realizing taste is an individual thing, I think the Camaro and Beemer are at the head of this class...

So, then, how about maintenance and its' costs??..how do they then all fare against each other???...I have a hunch that the Camaro V6, over the long term, might be the cheapest to own, operate, and modify...

What Honda are you comparing it to?
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Thunder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
What Honda are you comparing it to?

Well, the V-6 coupe with either 6 speed manual or 5 speed automatic transmission..I think both it and the Nissan Altima V-6 coupe are in the same price range and will and shoud be cross shopped...what do you think????
Old 06-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Camaro FTW. Although the Altima and Accord coupes are pretty good looking, they are not even on the same playing field as the Camaro.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Oh, the Altima? When you said "Nissan" I thought you meant the 370Z, which is up in our V8's price range and ought to outperform our V6 by a good margin.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
of those, camaro v6 for sure
Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Thunder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
Oh, the Altima? When you said "Nissan" I thought you meant the 370Z, which is up in our V8's price range and ought to outperform our V6 by a good margin.
Gee whiz, I've been driving imports for so long I just took it for granted that everyone knew what I was referring to!!!...sorry, my bad....

Still, from where I've been(in terms of car ownership) in the last decade or so, there has been a very healthy respect for the Honda Accord/Nissan coupes by the general public...I think GM should aggressively market the Camaro V-6 to this market ...

By the way, I went to a paint and body shop at lunch today...I was checking in with them to see if painting a glossy black roof on a Victory red Camaro would be feasible and affordable...I missed the owner, but an employee said it wouldn't be any problem and would cost around $500-600.00...so, I might be doing that if I can convince myself that a 50 something year old isn't too old for red!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Boost_TT

Drives: 2015 Chevy SS Sedan
Edges what Nissan? The 350z/370z kill the V6 Camaro in acceleration. The V8 is the one it is close to. And no way the Camaro can handle anything close to the Z.

Quote:

Boost_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Georgie

the altima dude
Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_TT View Post
Edges what Nissan? The 350z/370z kill the V6 Camaro in acceleration. The V8 is the one it is close to. And no way the Camaro can handle anything close to the Z.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:

Performance: V6 hyndai, V6 Camaro, Bimmer, honda, Nissan. Just take the nissan out. Trust me.

Cost: Honda, camaro

Cost of ownership: Well. The bimmer is 100% paid for through the 3 year warranty... But dont plan on doing anything to (slow) car because you'll void it and end up paying for it to be fixed every 6 months.

The hyndai... ehh... I wouldnt want to deal with that.

Camaro is the complete package here if you want to keep it affordable fun and personalized. After that the Accord V6 6-speed or genesis Coupe. Sharp looking car.

Quality: big win for the bimmer. then idk.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
Georgie

sure the quality is there, not sure about long term reliability though they have improved, but for what you get i don't think its worth the money to buy a BMW 328 new
Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #13
4thGenRocks
But 5th Gen FTW!

Drives: myself crazy!
You can't beat the money vs performance of V6 Camaro. Go with that please.

2009 Monterey Blue Nissan 370Z with Sports Package 6MT w/SynchroRev Match
4thGenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I used to really like the looks of the Altima coupe, and, to a lesser extent, the Accord coupe. However, after seeing the Camaro in person and driving on the road, they just don't measure up anymore. And honestly, I'd be hard pressed to find any reason the Altima or Accord would be superior to the V6 Camaro. Performance isn't there, feature content is comparable, price actually favors the Camaro, and the Camaro's fuel economy trumps all. The 328 and Genesis coupe definitely are the true competitors. Performance numbers are comparable. They're smaller and more nimble, but the Camaro has the look. The BMW has more feature and luxury content, obviously, but you'll either have to buy used or pay significantly more. The Genesis coupe is also pricier and less fuel efficient. Unless the bulk bothers you (to be honest it concerns me but my convertible will be a weekend/day-trip cruiser) the Camaro is your best bet.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote