Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
masonwilke94
TheWizKid

Drives: 2ss/rs
Cool newbie lowering install

Ok so I love the look of the camaro lowered, so I went ahead and purchased phasetek drop springs 1.4 rear 1.5 front, not knowing the install would be roughly double what I paid for the springs. Now what im asking is, how hard of an install is it to do? I can work my way around a tool box but have never worked on a car before. Also, how time consumeing would the install be?
thanks c5
masonwilke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Most shops quote 2-3 hours. Then you will need an alignment after the install too.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Do a search, if PQ can do his you should be fine.

Installing springs is pretty easy as long as you are smart about it and pay attention to a few safety items it is not hard.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
One thing I do to reduce labour is to do a number of mods at the same time that can be done while doing something else. For, example I want bushings done on my vehicle and it's a big job; good example is I replaced the end-links when I did my sway bars and chassis brace all at the same time. I had to outlay more money for parts, but I saved money on labour on doing it later on so I get a better material value at the end of the job.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
Do a search, if PQ can do his you should be fine.

Installing springs is pretty easy as long as you are smart about it and pay attention to a few safety items it is not hard.

Cheers
K
You're probably right. lol
Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Springs are pretty easy to install on these cars. Take your time and read the instructions provided by your spring manufacturer and you should be fine.

Be careful when removing the stock spring from your shocks, there isn't a whole lot of preload on those springs as they're installed on the stock shocks, but there certainly is enough to hurt yourself if you're not paying attention during removal. You can head to Autozone and rent a spring compressor for the day, take any preload the spring is applying to the upper shock mount off, then unbolt the upper mount and remove the compressor from the spring.

Be sure to get an alignment after you get your springs on, any time you change static ride height it's a good idea to get an alignment. Not only for tire life, but for grip levels as well.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
There really isn't a good reason for you not to be able to do the install at home.

But I wouldn't recommend this, if its truly gonna be your first time under any vehicle.
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
This is the long tedious unedited version but here ya go. Hope it helps.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
masonwilke94
TheWizKid

Drives: 2ss/rs
thanks for all the help guys. Ive decided im going to install them myself with some help from pops. It would be a great learning experience if nothing else, because later on in life I dream of restoreing a 67 gt 500.
masonwilke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
If you do it yourself here's a helpful tip. Take a sharpie and outline where everything is buttoned up BEFORE you start dissasembling parts. It helps when you put it back together. Especially the front struts which has a lot of adjustment play. The rear not so much, but there is a little adjustability where it bolts to the body (4 bolts).

Another forum member (mlee) suggested this tip and it really helped me out. When I had the car aligned they didn't have to do much adjusting. Mainly front toe, rear was good.

Tags
camaro, diy, install, lowering, springs