Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Is all carbon fiber like this?

Hey guys, I want to order this VIS hood but I'm waiting for a few close up pics from the vendor.

I noticed the weave in some pics of the VIS hood is a little wiggly. Is this normal in all carbon fiber? I haven't seen a lot of carbon in person, so I'm not sure if it's just how it is... or if it's just how these are.

I circled a few spots where I noticed the weave bending.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE - 402 of 451
"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
BATMOB1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Its very difficult to get the CF Wave perfect, thats the difference between a $1000 and a $4000 piece, it just takes a lot of time to get it perfect.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Don't worry too much about it

I worked as a composites tech for a number of years. I laid up a lot of c/f panels by hand and actually braided carbon fiber unitape into structures. I never got to do the really cool 3D carbon fiber braiding though. What i did get was a lot of nasty splinters.

I don't know how that insert was processed but I have seen that a number of times. Sometimes that happens. Happened to me enough even with hand lay-up. Sometimes things shift in the mold, or the bag/tooling draws down unevenly.

Here's the good news: if it were a carbon fiber sticker, it would be perfect, so you really have a carbon fiber part.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Lmk when the pics come if like to see also
Old 07-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
I am not a professional in carbon fiber, but I have a Seibon trunk and I can tell you it does not have that anywhere. It is the same uniform and clean weave throughout it. I am not sure if this would affect the durability or stability of the hood, but it definetly hurts the aesthetics if you are a perfectionist like myself. It seems like a defect maybe? I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else who knows more could chime in!
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
I am not a professional in carbon fiber, but I have a Seibon trunk and I can tell you it does not have that anywhere. It is the same uniform and clean weave throughout it. I am not sure if this would affect the durability or stability of the hood, but it definetly hurts the aesthetics if you are a perfectionist like myself. It seems like a defect maybe? I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else who knows more could chime in!
Could you post a picture of your trunk? I'd like compare!

"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
Lmk when the pics come if like to see also
You got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Don't worry too much about it

I worked as a composites tech for a number of years. I laid up a lot of c/f panels by hand and actually braided carbon fiber unitape into structures. I never got to do the really cool 3D carbon fiber braiding though. What i did get was a lot of nasty splinters.

I don't know how that insert was processed but I have seen that a number of times. Sometimes that happens. Happened to me enough even with hand lay-up. Sometimes things shift in the mold, or the bag/tooling draws down unevenly.

Here's the good news: if it were a carbon fiber sticker, it would be perfect, so you really have a carbon fiber part.
I hear you. I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to my car though lol I know my eye will get drawn to it every time!

"BATMOB1LE"
Old 07-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMOB1LE View Post
I will take one right now give me a few minutes. It is a bit dirty though, long road trip haha.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post

Post #3

It's strength can be affected by waves, but the slight "Un-uniformity" shown doesn't approach that in this application, in my opinion, becasue I don't think this part needs to be all that strong in the first place: it's potentially still stronger than it needs to be. In some applications, that wave would affect required strength. This doesn't appear to be a critical primary structure though. Seems very cosmetic.

"Defect" would depend on the specs for the part. Certainly, it is not something I'd want my name on, out of pride in workmanship, and 'defect' to the shop can be very different from 'defect' to a customer.

edit- on second thought, maybe not unitape. Starting to look more like prepreg to me, in the inside radii. I'd like to see one of those cut in half to see if it's a 'sheet' of prepreg over a former.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
camarozzzz

Quote:
Here is the trunk picture. The bubble in the bottom right is just water.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Comparatively speaking though, that trunk is a breeze to lay up and process.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
can't compare difficulty the hood way more complex.. both look excellent .
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
TKO Performance

Drives: 64 & 07 Corvette
Quote:
Hey guys, I want to order this VIS hood but I'm waiting for a few close up pics from the vendor.

I noticed the weave in some pics of the VIS hood is a little wiggly. Is this normal in all carbon fiber? I haven't seen a lot of carbon in person, so I'm not sure if it's just how it is... or if it's just how these are.

I circled a few spots where I noticed the weave bending.

Thanks in advance.
No, all carbon fiber products do not look like that. Especially when they lean more towards aesthetic rather then full blown race carbon (which is painted).

There are a few processes. It could be because it was hand laid resin rather then pre preg. Pre preg is a little more money but the results are more flawless. The biggest reason is because the fiber does NOT move when bagged (which will cause pulled & stretched fiber).

That would drive me crazy if that was smack in the middle of my hood, roof.....etc
TKO Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
It won't hurt anything however I'm a perfectionist as well and would send it back. It might seem like an ass move to the company but I look at it this way I pay you for your best product and I expect that's what I will get.