Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
terryd

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red
Hauling a ZL1 in a enclosed trailer?

I live in Northern Ontario in a the years to come would like to take my car with me to the Southern States for our winter break. I would really prefer to carry the car in an enclosed trailer to eliminate milage and any chance of road salt. All the 8'.5"w x 20' L trailers I have looked at seem to be a real tight fit as this car is so wide.
Has anyone hauled their car in an enclosed trailer? If so please give me the trailer details and how you felt your car fitted width wise.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I live in Northern Ontario in a the years to come would like to take my car with me to the Southern States for our winter break. I would really prefer to carry the car in an enclosed trailer to eliminate milage and any chance of road salt. All the 8'.5"w x 20' L trailers I have looked at seem to be a real tight fit as this car is so wide.
Has anyone hauled their car in an enclosed trailer? If so please give me the trailer details and how you felt your car fitted width wise.
Thanks
Well my trailer is 48' long so I doubt you need one that big!! IMO 20 is to tight. It's a bitch to strap it down. Plus there's not much room for storage. 24' would be the min. 28' would be ideal.

Width wise they are all tight. On my 48' I can park on either side of the wheels wells and get out of the door. A smaller trailer will not allow that. It's dukes of hazard style. Unless you get a high end trailer with an escape door. That would be the way to go.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=AMMUSCLE;6663437]Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Well my trailer is 48' long so I doubt you need one that big!! IMO 20 is to tight. It's a bitch to strap it down. Plus there's not much room for storage. 24' would be the min. 28' would be ideal.

Width wise they are all tight. On my 48' I can park on either side of the wheels wells and get out of the door. A smaller trailer will not allow that. It's dukes of hazard style. Unless you get a vhigh end trailer with an escape door. That would be the way to go.[/QUOTE

I'm wondering how will you strap it down since this car sits low. I'm asking because I will be hiring a company with an enclosed trailer to haul my car after break in from Maine to Lingenfelter and want to make sure it gets there without any problems.
Thanks

In the back I use 24" axle strap wrapped around the lca then attached to a ratchet strap. Yes, the front is low and its a pain. I had Jannetty fab a hoop in the front center on the chassis that I can reach from the front if the car. I hook 2 staps to the hoop and then to the trailer D rings. You can also use race ramps and drive up onto them in the trailer. That will give you plenty of clearance to finagle the straps around the chassis.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
AMMUSCLE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VERT M6
Great info.
Thanks
AMMUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMUSCLE View Post
Great info.
Thanks
Anytime.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

pics:
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
AlbertaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I picked my ZL1 up in February and hauled it in a 20' enclosed trailer. It was made by Royal Trailers. It was super tight width wise, like an inch from the wheel wells. The bottom of the doors unexpectedly cleared the wheel wells , but barely. The rear was easy to tie down because the rear of the trailer was ramped slightly. The front was a super pain in the butt because the D-rings on the trailer were located right under my front splitter. I was able to criss cross the straps still but had to put the straps on the wheels, through the spokes. I wrapped the straps in microfiber and also placed a blanket between the spokes so it wouldn't scratch. 4.5 hours later the car safely got home and didn't move a bit. But moral of the story is i would not use a 20' again lol
AlbertaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
Nickey31

Drives: 2012 Nickey ZL1 #001, 2014 Corvette
I have towed several of my camaros across the country and back in a 20' enclosed trailer. They are tight width wise but I had no problem length wise. I installed an e-track the entire length of the trailer with the below wheel straps. The great thing about these wheel straps is that they let the car suspension work and by design, the ratchet is far enough away, there are no issues or concerns about hitting the car. By having the e-track the entire length, I have endless possibilities of strapping cycles, 4 wheelers, etc.

http://www.autohaulersupply.com/cata...plies-83-1.php
Nickey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
pics:
Well thats simple...
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
IOM Black Diamond
HT5 COTW 1/21/13

Drives: 2010 Camaro Inferno 2SS RS 6M
I am looking at buying a 20' trailer to haul my car and I will also get the e track
Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
inferno camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro pace car, 2008 cts bl,
I ordered a 24x8.5 v-nose and got the escape door on it ($350 option). Be careful first time you open it, mine didn't clear and the door hit the opening right at the bottom. You can put some 2x12's down to clear the opening. I raised the floor since I haul my drag car and its low to the ground.
Mods, 2r max cam, ls3 conv,kooks lt w/hf cats,kooks street sleeper cat back with magnaflow res x-pipe, roto fab cai, v-max TB, vigilante 3700 stall, 3.70 LPE, 442hp/392tq, Mike Norris Tune 11.71@116.24 1.63 60' m&h DR's
inferno camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
KWIK ZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
ZL1 Hauling In Enclosed Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Thanks
I took a enclosed trailer to pickup my ZL1 it will fit in a trailer. You will need to exit the open drivers window. The only problem tying down the ZL1 is the underbelly pan underneath. It covers the eye holes in the front frame. So what I did was wrap nylon straps around the lower A Arms. And chris cross the straps in a x configuration. To the eye hooks on the floor of the trailer. Road fine 450 miles.
KWIK ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
I have a wide body Wells Cargo. . . plenty of room to go in.

Went with a 10,000 lb capacity, since the 7,700 lb, have zero weight safety factor with the ZL1 coming in at 4,200 lbs.

I use the factory tie down points with "T" hooks. On the front had to route out a hole in the belly pan, but looks like it is supposed to be there.

I also have a custom raised deck rails and over sized drivers awning door so that I can get in and out of the car.
2018 Traverse High Country, 2017 Tom Henry Racing ZL1 Convertible, 2016 Silverado High Country HD, 2014 Camaro SS Convertible, 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1, 2002 Berger SS Phase II, 2001 Camaro SS Convertible, 1997 Hendrick Motorsports 30th Anniversary LT4 SS, 1992 Camaro RS Z03 25th . . .
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
24' long 8.5' wide, 10,000 lb. Here are pics:

THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote