Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #15

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
An oldie but a goodie....Not a book, but it's a start! (Makes a great Xmas gift, too)...

Home | Vehicles, Hobby & R/C | Hobby Shop | Model Kits | Vehicles & Model Tanks

Rev8883 Visible V-8 Engine Model Kit R

Q&A
Ask Questions, share answers
2 Questions
2 Answers

Questions

Play Video

Add my images & videos

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
[QUOTE=90503;8075302]An oldie but a goodie....Not a book, but it's a start![/URL]

I was going to suggest the same thing. When I was a kid, before I could really even be allowed to mess with real motors, my parents got me one of these visible motor model kits for Christmas. I learned a lot from it. Building it, then observing it. Back in the day, I always would go to the library and check out books on engines and how they worked. There was always everything from basic engine and transmission books, to "how to hot rod your..." Even a giant Chilton's manual was good study. Today, I would guess that Google could lead to many good basic information also.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xii239 View Post
I am quite aware of this, but if you type in car mechanic book there are thousands of answers. I was seeing if anyone had any recommendations.
You're seeing what people are recommending. A car is understood through its parts and systems, through multiple sources. There are great recommendations in this thread.

Most of us started with a problem to solve, a Chilton's manual, a broken vehicle, and a cold garage with inadequate tools. Oh, and that grouchy guy behind the parts counter at the local parts rag. It's a process.

If I had to take a guess, you're not an aerospace engineer. Many of the same systems apply to vehicles. Should be an easy crossover in terms of knowledge, and critical thinking.

Maybe define "technical" for us. What kind of "technical" knowledge are you looking for?
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
So this is my first decent car and I'd really like to get into the nitty and gritty mechanics of a car. I want to know all about it: how it works, what everything does, what each part is etc etc. I went to the book store and I couldn't find a book on 'how it works'. A lot of the books are how to fix it, I don't want to fix it, I want to learn! I am an engineer so I have a very good understanding of anything technical so I'm not looking for a dummies guide. Does anyone have a good book reference where I can learn more about cars?

Thanks!
I think something needs to be cleared up before we progress much further here.

You say you're interested in the mechanics of a car. Thats fine, great even. But since you don't seem interested in either dummies guides or techinical manuals (or tearing apart engines) I'm going to assume that you want something along the lines of "Automotive Engineering 101", full of theory and explanation as to what makes cars & their systems work.

How different suspension arrangements are better for ride or handling or acceleration, along with how spring rates & shock stiffness affect those same areas.

How cam profiles dictate the torque curve, as well as how the different methods of variable valve timing work.

The differences between drum & disc brakes, along with what the different features do for performance (carbon ceramic, multi piston calipers, slots/cross drilled, etc)

How weight transfer affects grip when accelerating, braking, and turning

What the advantages & disadvantages are of different engine configurations (I4, flat 6, V8, W12, Wankel, etc)

Am I on the right track?

If I every find a book that explains all that, I will let you know. I search for it every time I'm in a book store.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
Xii239

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think something needs to be cleared up before we progress much further here.

You say you're interested in the mechanics of a car. Thats fine, great even. But since you don't seem interested in either dummies guides or techinical manuals (or tearing apart engines) I'm going to assume that you want something along the lines of "Automotive Engineering 101", full of theory and explanation as to what makes cars & their systems work.

How different suspension arrangements are better for ride or handling or acceleration, along with how spring rates & shock stiffness affect those same areas.

How cam profiles dictate the torque curve, as well as how the different methods of variable valve timing work.

The differences between drum & disc brakes, along with what the different features do for performance (carbon ceramic, multi piston calipers, slots/cross drilled, etc)

How weight transfer affects grip when accelerating, braking, and turning

What the advantages & disadvantages are of different engine configurations (I4, flat 6, V8, W12, Wankel, etc)

Am I on the right track?

If I every find a book that explains all that, I will let you know. I search for it every time I'm in a book store.
Nailed it right on the head, bud! haha
Old 11-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Nailed it right on the head, bud! haha
B.Eng in mechanical with a specialization in mechatronics. I know where you're coming from.

Anywhoo ... like I said, I haven't found any books that fit what you (we) are looking for, but automotive engineering textbooks might be the best place to start. Sure, text books can be a bit dry but there's probably at least one out there that can be read somewhat casually.

In the meantime, the internet is a good way to pick up bits & pieces when you know what you want to learn about.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #21
evergrn

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Engineering Explained youtube channel, he also throws in some physics and science
evergrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Somewhere I had a list of the books I've collected over the years, but it apparently hasn't made it over to my new laptop.

So I raided a Mustang forum for this much, which I'm too lazy to edit. Hope it helps.

Quote:
The book lists below are started with one originally created by Norm Peterson and it is being updated to add books recommended in the posts below.

Handling & Suspension Books

How To Make Your Car Handle (Fred Puhn)
Chassis Engineering (Herb Adams)
Performance Handling (Don Alexander)
Chevrolet Power, 5th Edition (GM)
Basic Chassis, Suspension & Brakes (Hot Rod)
Chassis Brakes Suspension (Hot Rod)
Hot Rod Yearbook No. 11 (Hot Rod)
Mustang Performance Handbook 2 (William Mathis)
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics (William & Doug Milliken)
Mopar Chassis (Mopar)
The Car and its Wheels (Jan P. Norbye)
Honda Builder's Handbook, Volume II (Joe Pettit)
Camaro Performance Handbook (David Shelby)
Prepare to Win (Carroll Smith)
Tune to Win (Carroll Smith)
Tires, Suspension, and Handling 2nd Ed (John C. Dixon) - added 2009/04/01
Shock Design Handbook 2nd Ed (John C. Dixon) - added 2009/04/01
Race Car Engineering & Mechanics (Paul van Valkenburgh)
Design for Competition, a 750 motor club publication
How To Make Your Musclecar Handle (Mark Savitske) available early 2011

Per Norm - "FWIW, not everything you read in many of the softcover books is 100% correct. In one or two cases, it isn't even 100% consistent with other statements made within the same book. They are mostly minor glitches and in some cases may have been the result of editorial changes that weren't back-checked by the author. Reading thoroughly, and then re-reading with a somewhat questioning/critical eye is suggested.

Keep in mind that the physics and engineering haven't changed much; only the details of the solutions. My point is that understanding the concepts and what things might be related is at least as important as the details of any actual examples given as illustration"

Driving Books

Speed Secrets series by Ross Bentley
The Technique Of Motor Racing by Piero Taruffi
The Racing Driver (The Theory & Practice Of Fast Driving) by Denis Jenkinson
Secrets of Solo Racing by Henry Watts
Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving by Carl Lopez of the Skip Barber Racing School
Drive to Win by Carroll Smith
Think to Win by Don Alexander
A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code (motorcycle racing)

Internet links

To quote Norm - "Not everything you find out there in cyberspace has been proofread for technical accuracy by anybody other than the preparer (which doesn't count for a whole lot in most engineering professions). Some of the errors aren't particularly troublesome, but others might be depending on what the topic is, how knowledgeable the preparer was, and what was written."

Dennis Grant's site -
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html
http://farnorthracing.com/tech_autocross.html
http://farnorthracing.com/datalogging.html
A brief list that was put together by Andy Hollis - www.dmvrscca.org/topten.htm
Ackerman - http://www.smithees-racetech.com.au/ackerman.html
http://www.virtualracersedge.com/physics_of_racing.htm - added July 15, 2009
http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/page/page/5265175.htm - added July 15, 2009

Engine Books
How to tune and modify engine management systems by Jeff Hartman - goes into details about all the different sensors and actuators and how they affect the engine's fuel/timing map

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote