Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB911 View Post
Well like I said I put down a specific dollar amount for my trade and told them where the interest rate and number of payments needed to be for this to work so they really dont have any wiggle room from me. ...and the salesmen did say they were certain they could meet the terms I specified.
Where at in MN?

I am sure they are only into that SS for 30 or 31k, so keep that in mind. You can get new ones for about 36000ish.

If the numbers work for you, then pick it up. Although part of me thinks if you are upside down on something, you should keep it.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #16
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Are you insane?

This is what is happening...

You bought a new car and have made a year's worth of payments on it. Now, on top of those payments, you are going to pay the dealer $5,000 to take it off your hands. In return he is going to sell you another car for thousands of dollars more than he paid for it. Then he is going to sell your car for thousands of dollars more than he gave you.

After all that you will end up with a car worth somewhere in the low/mid 30's for which you owe $40K and the dealer will be taking a nice European vacation on you.

Brilliant!
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
I did the trade in from a 2LT/RS to a new 2011 2SS/RS less then a month ago. I would definitely encourage you to do the same. You'll love it.

As far as your dealings, stick to your guns. Make sure you can afford the monthly payments, and if so... PULL THE TRIGGER! Since you are looking at a used car, there is more flex-room for negotiations. With new cars, the dealers only have a small margin of profit, thus there's not much room for negotiation. At the end of the month especially, dealers need to move inventory. So it sounds like it's working out in your favor.

Make sure the 2SS/RS is in good condition and certified. Fortunately, there is still a good remainder of the factory warranty. I say do it... As long as they don't try to jerk you around. My 2LT/RS had 21k miles and I only got $21k for it. So looks like you are getting a good deal.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
fourhounds
Slow is not an Option

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6M SGM
The truth is the 2012's are coming . . . . . . .
Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Are you insane?

You bought a new car and have made a year's worth of payments on it. Now, on top of those payments, you are going to pay the dealer $5,000 to take it off your hands. In return he is going to sell you another car for thousands of dollars more than he paid for it. Then he is going to sell your car for thousands of dollars more than he gave you.

After all that you will end up with a car worth somewhere in the low/mid 30's for which you owe $40K and the dealer will be taking a nice European vacation on you.

Brilliant!
Yes Im well aware of how the dealerships work with regard to trades, values etc... I couldnt care less if they made a million dollars off this deal as long as I am also going to benefit.

A brand new 2011 2SS/RS with the same options as the one Im looking at would sticker for right around $39K. Im getting 4 grand off the sticker just for giving up about 1000 miles and a few months of warranty....which is roughly the same as the negative equity.

ANYONE who buys a $40K car...is going to wind up with one worth only mid to low 30s the minute they drive it off the lot...thats just how it works.

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
ScottyB911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeos View Post
I did the trade in from a 2LT/RS to a new 2011 2SS/RS less then a month ago. I would definitely encourage you to do the same. You'll love it.

As far as your dealings, stick to your guns. Make sure you can afford the monthly payments, and if so... PULL THE TRIGGER! Since you are looking at a used car, there is more flex-room for negotiations. With new cars, the dealers only have a small margin of profit, thus there's not much room for negotiation. At the end of the month especially, dealers need to move inventory. So it sounds like it's working out in your favor.

Make sure the 2SS/RS is in good condition and certified. Fortunately, there is still a good remainder of the factory warranty. I say do it... As long as they don't try to jerk you around. My 2LT/RS had 21k miles and I only got $21k for it. So looks like you are getting a good deal.
Well yeah Im not budging on the terms...they know where everything needs to be to make it happen.

That was the reason I created this thread...Im wondering why now, a week later, they are suddenly willing to agree to the terms I set.

The car only has 1100 miles on it and its immaculate inside and out....thing still smells new for that matter. The reason he was willing to go $35000 on the price is because with my USAA discount, I can buy one of the brand new 2SS/RS cars they have for that price (as long as they are manual trans without the sunroof)

Scotty B
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #21
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Well yeah Im not budging on the terms...they know where everything needs to be to make it happen.

That was the reason I created this thread...Im wondering why now, a week later, they are suddenly willing to agree to the terms I set.

The car only has 1100 miles on it and its immaculate inside and out....thing still smells new for that matter. The reason he was willing to go $35000 on the price is because with my USAA discount, I can buy one of the brand new 2SS/RS cars they have for that price (as long as they are manual trans without the sunroof)

first highlight: They may have an interested buyer for your lt.

2nd highlight: I would just get a new 1 then.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Personally, I wouldn't really care how they found the new numbers. As long as you are satisfied with the numbers they are presenting you IN WRITING, do your thing. Of course, as others have said, go over the car with a fine comb before you buy. I spent 50 min inspecting mine when it arrived, even before the sales guy started his 'tour' of the car.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #23
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
Quote:
So here's the situation...

Right now I have a 2010 2LT RS with just under 15K. (Bought new last spring)

Last week I was at the dealership and they had just gotten in a 2011 2SS/RS with auto and sunroof and 1100 miles on it. (guy bought it last fall...traded it in on a Vette)

The used car manager said he thought they would be pricing it at around $35K...and of course asked if I wanted to trade up. I ran some numbers quick and told him in order for the deal to actually work I would need a minimum of $25K for my car, and an interest rate no higher than 5%...and a few of the add ons would not be included in the trade. Long story short the deal didnt happen, he was only willing to give me $23K trade for mine (leaving a LOT of negative equity) and he would only offer me that much if I traded the car as it was...without removing anything.

So today, out of the blue my salesman called me and said they had found some "new numbers" and were certain they could make the deal happen now under the terms I had laid out. (Including me keeping some of the accessories) While he didnt have exact numbers he basically said that suddenly they were able to add a few thousand dollars into the deal in my favor which would (as he put it) drastically reduce the payment and would almost certainly guarantee me a low interest rate.

Beyond that all he mentioned was that month end was coming up and they were having a big Memorial Day sale and they wanted my car on the lot when it started.

I flat out asked if they were offering about 2 grand more on my trade and he said he thought it would actually be even more than that... I just want to be sure something didnt happen with the 2011 SS that caused the value to drop way down...

I know salesmen can be slick so when I initially went in, I went with documentation on trade values, pricing on the new 2011s (including a guaranteed discounted price through USAA on a brand new SS), and interest rates/payment amounts etc and I was very clear that all of the pieces needed to be there for me to pull the trigger...

So...anyone in the car business have any idea what the hell would cause them to suddenly turn things around so drastically like this?
This statement is nonsense. They are anxious to get your car on the lot but they don't want the SS there? I would ask him to explain this.

Quote:
Are you insane?

Brilliant!
Don't you go start talking logical here. There is no place for that in this thread. The OP just got really lucky and he is getting the deal of a lifetime. The dealer is trying to build up some good karma.

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #24
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
Quote:
Are you insane?

Brilliant!
I agree!!

2SS/RS M6, GFX, Borla Atak cat back,Blacked out tail lights, Heritage Grill, 20% tint, 5% on back, Hurst Short Thrower, Black Gills, SLP Shift Skip
cleanwhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #25
vuduman67

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
In my opinion, its pretty simple really, They were trying to get the most money for the car the first time you were there, you didnt bite.... A week later they either have not had much action on the car or they recently took another one in on trade and are ready to deal more now. If the car is not a "must have" for you then play hardball back and try to get them lower.
Good luck
vuduman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #26
ScottyB911

Well again the numbers themselves arent the issue if they truly follow through and agree to the terms I presented. What this boils down to is I have a shot at a 2011 2SS that is fully loaded for $35K with about a months worth of driving and it sounds like theyre looking to offer me $26-27K trade for my car which is also a good price.

Im just trying to figure out why all of the sudden they are so agreeable on this. (I ran the VIN through carfax and there are no flags.)

Im not sure if month end has something to do with it or if they have someone specifically asking for the type of car that I have.

And if they honor the same amount against a brand new one I havent ruled that out either.

Scotty B
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Well like I said I put down a specific dollar amount for my trade and told them where the interest rate and number of payments needed to be for this to work so they really dont have any wiggle room from me. ...and the salesmen did say they were certain they could meet the terms I specified.
If you told them where your payment will be then they will try and take a larger # stretched over more months to give the appearance of you saving money. Also, get the trade in value IN WRITING prior to taking the SS. Make it TWO SEPERATE TRANSACTIONS but at the same time its only ONE if that makes sense. Get your PRICE FOR THE SS IN WRITING, seperate from the trade in value IN WRITING then deduct the trade in offer from the price of the SS and also from the tax ( you get a break against the taxes on the new sale)....
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #28
ScottyB911

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuduman67 View Post
In my opinion, its pretty simple really, They were trying to get the most money for the car the first time you were there, you didnt bite.... A week later they either have not had much action on the car or they recently took another one in on trade and are ready to deal more now. If the car is not a "must have" for you then play hardball back and try to get them lower.
Good luck
Sounds very logical...and they know Im completely indifferent as I dont dislike what I drive now and have no problem keeping it. BUT, if I can get a V8 with 13,000 less miles (plus a year newer and with the heads up display) for $30-40 more per month than I pay now, seems like its worth a serious look.

Scotty B