Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Clutch/transmission problem on SS.

About a month ago I was sitting at a traffic light in 1st gear with the clutch in. The light changed and when I let the clutch out it did not fully extend and the whole car shook, it was like a chattering kind of shaking. I pushed the clutch in and let it out and it did the same thing. I then took it out of gear put it back into 1st gear and the clutch acted normal.

I didn't think much of it, just thought something was sticking because the car was new. Yesterday it did it again at 1900 miles but the shaking was more violent and it took me 4 times putting in and out of first to get the car moving. This time I could smell a burning smell and I assumed it was the clutch that got really hot. Shifting through the rest of the gears went fine but now when I start from a dead stop the car shakes a little bit just before the clutch pedal comes all the way out like it's slipping or something.

I have never even done a burn out in the car so its not like I have been abusing it or anything. Any idea what the problem could be? Could the clutch need some kind of adjustment? I called the dealer and they said to bring the car in next week and they will check it out. My fear is they are going to try to blame me for something that caused damage to the clutch. They can see by the tires that I haven't been doing a bunch of burn outs or anything.

Any suggestions what the problem could be? Do you think I need to worry about the dealer blaming me for something?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
No tell them fix it its brand new Man something going on???
Old 09-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Fat_Tire_Custom

Drives: 1972 Rally Sport, 2010 RS/SS
My LS3 M6 is doing something very similar and I have the same concerns about going into the dealership. Mine shakes really bad during partial engagement in 1st and Reverse. It didn't do it when it was new. I am very gently with my clutch at all times, so I know it was nothing I did. Makes me wonder how gentle the dealership was when they had it at 500 miles to add paint sealant and leather protector, as the clutch first started to have a tiny bit of shake around 500 miles and now at 1400 miles is emberassingly bad. Regardless of whether it was dealer abuse or mine though, this is a heavy duty tranny intended to withstand hard launches and burnouts, and is way too new to be developing any problem. We should keep in mind that people were snapping output shafts and factory dove right in to track down and isolate faulty shafts. ARNE
Fat_Tire_Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Fat_Tire_Custom

I had my dealer look at the clutch chatter today. He definitely felt it (just befere he killed it). He looked for any GM bulletins and didn't find any, but expects there to be one within the next couple months as more people turn in complaints about this. He also said this could be normal for a ceramic clutch disk. Does anyone know if the SS M6 has a ceramic clutch disk? Anyway, everyone with this problem, please have your dealer log the issue with GM next time you're at your dealership. Thanks, Arne

Last edited by Fat_Tire_Custom; 09-17-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo (me instead of my)
Old 10-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
novocaine

Drives: cgm 2ss m6
me, too

Did you ever find anything out? My car (800 miles) just started doing the same thing.
novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
kelleyperformance

Drives: DD- 15' Chevy SS Sedan
that doesnt sound like a clutch issue to me.. at least not a physical one. if the clutch were mechanically flawed it would happen almost all the time and in reverse as well...

i first assumed maybe you were in 3rd, but seeing as that several people are expericing this i now doubt it lol. but, is everyone sure it was 1st gear??? sounds a hell of alot like what would happen if trying to get moving in a higher forward gear
Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Stock clutchs are not ceramic they are organic. They are very dusty too. I have since replace mine with a fidanz twin disk. Much better but now I have chatter which is expected with ceramic and twins. Had simular issues as you guys only dealership would not fix so I did. When recall comes out I will sue.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
95_9C1

Drives: Pontiac G8 GXP
CLUTCH FLUID MAINTENANCE

95_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
kelleyperformance

Drives: DD- 15' Chevy SS Sedan
bad clutch fluid usually causes consistant clutch failure or difficulty getting into gears, and tends to act up more after some spirited driving or heavy slipping of the clutch (ie added heat)
Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Fat_Tire_Custom

I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone here when I say I do know where 1st gear is. For more recent posts, search for Smoked Clutch! post.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
My clutch did the once a few weeks ago. I let the clutch completely go, gave it gas, the the clutch only came up 1/2 way and I actually chirped the tires. terrible clutch burning smell too :( It hasn't happened again. I read the posts on the brake/clutch fluid, so I changed it to DOT4. Only put in can though and it looks like I could have changed out more. We'll see...the DOT4 was much lighter, almost clear, compared to the DOT3 that was in there - light brownish...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyperformance View Post
that doesnt sound like a clutch issue to me.. at least not a physical one. if the clutch were mechanically flawed it would happen almost all the time and in reverse as well...

i first assumed maybe you were in 3rd, but seeing as that several people are expericing this i now doubt it lol. but, is everyone sure it was 1st gear??? sounds a hell of alot like what would happen if trying to get moving in a higher forward gear
Car will pull of in 3rd just fine no chatter no real dif from first.
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote