Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I see, it just sucks when 30% of my check is gone in taxes every 2 weeks and have to pay a toll :( Good thing I don't have tolls in Nebraska.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
I'll probably get shouted down for this, but I have no problems paying tolls.*

In my opinion, charging those that use those services more often than those that do not makes perfect sense. I wish we had more things like tolls, as long as it helped reduce across the board taxes like registration for vehicles.

*I do hate tolls like they had in Chicago when I lived there, however. You had to come to almost a complete stop to pay it. Having them at the on and off ramps is much more convenient!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey193 View Post
$1.50 tolls is pretty balls
Try $6.00 to cross a freaking bridge .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #32
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jungle View Post
Sometimes the toll roads branch off to where you need to go but you can't because you have to have the Toll Pass to use in that section or get a ticket because theres no toll booth to pay once you get on it.
DFW area is now toll booth free!!! It's awesome. The only exception I know is the airport, but if you have a tolltag, you don't have to stop at those booths, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWI View Post
I too drive NW Indiana toll roads (I-90) every day to and from work. Most of the roads around here suck. I use I-90 and pay the tolls because it is more convenient for me, has less traffic on it and far less trucks than I-94. EZpass is the way to go, don't have to stop, they just debit your account. Most toll roads are actually Interstate highways.
If that is the case, they used money other than normal road taxes to bill them, and you're paying the price through tolls. Unless, of course, a vote was passed at some point to change the Interstate into a toll road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
When in the 1960s they built the first toll road here, I294, they said when the construction costs were paid off travel would be free. Tolls were $0.35.

Fifty years later and tolls are $0.75 if you have an I-Pass so they don't need people and $1.50 if they have to collect cash.
I wonder if the tolls are ever actually cancelled. Places I've lived they've justified keeping them for "maintenance and upkeep."
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #33
2011ozzy

Drives: 2011 ss
6.00$ just to go over 1 bridge in Havre de grace Md !If they could Md would tax the air you breathe.
2011ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #34
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
6.00 to run the length of the WV Turnpike in a car/pickup. Rigs and pulling a trailer axles fees added. Only exit I know that has a toll booth is the North Beckley exit and it is like 50 cents - they removed all the others a few years ago.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #35
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens=
How many of you have to pay a toll booth in your state? Don't we pay taxes for our roads, why is there a fee to drive on an interstate? I went through Oklahoma and had to pay 1.90 to drive on the interstate. I live in Nebraska and we don't have them. Kinda frustrating, just venting.
i live in oklahoma and it frustrates me to no end, the tolls are supposed to pay for the construction of the highway and maintenance..well im sure that the tolls have already payed for itself and oklahoma roads are always horrible so i dont know where the money is going

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #36
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Four years ago, I drove through Oklahoma on the way to Arizona, and the damn toll booths were about the most frustrating thing I've ever gone through. Not that the buck you have to throw in bothers me, but that half of the damn automated things did not function properly. You'd throw the change in, and it didn't recognize that you threw it in. It was so irritating, that on the way back, I drove through Kansas instead just for that reason.

However, as bad as OK was, Illinois is by far worse. I go to the Chicago Auto Show every year. Between 2011 to 2012, apparently they either doubled or tripled each toll in just that one year. Last year, I did the math, and found that I actually spent more on tolls on the Illinois tollway than I burned in gas while on the tollway.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #37
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I'm from Oklahoma, and their toll roads suck. The indian turnpikes are everywhere. At least the speed limit is 75 there! I have a Pikepass. They also tried to tell us when the roads were built that when construction was paid for there would be no more tolls, but now they say that included maintenance so there will always be a toll. Minimum of $1.00 and most are between $1.50-$5.00. It's crazy how much they charge. And the most expensive ones are on the shortest roads with the fewest exits!!

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #38
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
We just had a toll bridge set up here in Seattle. We've had ferry's which cost money, and one other toll bridge for the last 10 years or so at the Tacoma Narrows bridge which I never go on, and avoid.

Now they've added a toll on the 520 bridge to pay for construction on that bridge, and I have not taken the bridge since long before that started. I moved closer to work because my commute used to take me over that bridge, and my commute is worse because most people don't take the toll bridge and take the northern route around Lake Washington which impacts my current commute...adding perhaps 5-15 minutes to it.

We already have one of the highest gas taxes here in Washington State, and adding tolls on top of that would really suck.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #39
pooch

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk convertible
To help us get rid of our excess change. The weight redeuction helps in fuel economy.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #40
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
we have two toll bridges in South Louisiana, the Leeville Bridge which is $2.50 per axle and the CCC bridge which is $1.25 i think.. the CCC bridge is paid for and the tolls are only on one side of the bridge.. the residents were talking about removing the tolls since the bridge is paid for and letting another police force handle the traffic.. i don't mind a toll to help pay for a bridge, but once it's paid for the toll should be removed..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #41
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
I see, it just sucks when 30% of my check is gone in taxes every 2 weeks and have to pay a toll :( Good thing I don't have tolls in Nebraska.
Actually you do have 1 toll in Nebraska-To cross the bridge at Decatur over the Missouri, 50 cents the last time I went over it.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #42
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Have a condo in Orlando and pay tolls almost everywhere we go. Roads are amazing there. Worth it.