Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Question Product Idea: Static clinc vinyl rubber/rock guard. Any interest?

We recently just started selling Static cling vinyl radio face protectors, and I was thinking to myself, "Man, this would make a good easy on, easy off rubber guard for burn outs at the track"...

I see a lot of guys using masking tape (that's a lot of tape), I hear of people using wd40... What else do you use? Basically most of the stuff I see people using that's easy on, easy off, or spray on is a consumable and if you go to the track a lot eventually you're gonna spend a lot of cash on those consumables, If you want to keep the rubber off anyway...

I scrapped 2 lbs of rubber off my car after a 3 day event this past summer

I guess a better question would be, do YOU use anything to protect your quarter panels from rubber/rocks during burnouts? Some people do, and some don't... If you do, would you be interested in a removable, reusable rubber/rock guard that is almost unnoticeable when on the car, and leaves no residue when removed?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
ZL1 mudflap wings work great
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
I'd be more interested in static cling piece for the lower front and middle front bumper for road courses. Wheel wells wouldn't be smooth enough for static cling and I think super hot rubber would do bad things to static cling plastic, might need to test that over a few uses.

Although I'm a bad camaro owner (according to some). I'd rather be flogging the crap out of it on a track than waxing it in my driveway which is what most do more of on here. Which color LEDs would go best with my turtle wax? Not sure which section to post it in so I'll do it in 7 areas. I'm posting on pain pills again so I'm bound to offend someone. Where's my beer?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
A friend and I were discussing this last week as I was washing molten rubber off my quarter panels.

I hate the painter's tape solution. It looks bad. But something that was clear that worked just as well would be awesome!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I'd be more interested in static cling piece for the lower front and middle front bumper for road courses. Wheel wells wouldn't be smooth enough for static cling and I think super hot rubber would do bad things to static cling plastic, might need to test that over a few uses.

Although I'm a bad camaro owner (according to some). I'd rather be flogging the crap out of it on a track than waxing it in my driveway which is what most do more of on here. Which color LEDs would go best with my turtle wax? Not sure which section to post it in so I'll do it in 7 areas. I'm posting on pain pills again so I'm bound to offend someone. Where's my beer?
I was thinking the static cling for the quarter panels, for those without the factory splash guards, or ZL1 mudflaps (which I need to look into). The material is pretty thick compared to sticker vinyl or tape, it's 8 mil thick.

I'm trying to imagine in my mind why you would want it for the front bumper areas you mention? I've never raced on a road course

I'll cut out some test pieces for the rear quarters and try them when the track opens up and see how it stands up to the abuse.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I think for the rear quarters it would be a great product!
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I was thinking the static cling for the quarter panels, for those without the factory splash guards, or ZL1 mudflaps (which I need to look into). The material is pretty thick compared to sticker vinyl or tape, it's 8 mil thick.

I'm trying to imagine in my mind why you would want it for the front bumper areas you mention? I've never raced on a road course

I'll cut out some test pieces for the rear quarters and try them when the track opens up and see how it stands up to the abuse.
Hugging corners people can go on shoulders and I've had gravel kicked up when following closely. I don't like the permanent bumper shield plastic because I don't like how they look when they age.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote