Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Camaro tech and performance saved our skin...

Travelling on a four lane mountain highway on Saturday, went to pass a vehicle doing about 20 MPH under the speed limit. As we passed, the buffoon simply changed lanes, in a turn. We had exactly one option, and that was to stand on the brakes, steer through things, lay on the horn. The horn had zero effect on the clueless mouth breather, as he pushed (no contact, but less than an inch to spare) us right off of the road. The anti-lock brakes, the stability control, and the cornering capabilities of the Camaro all came into maximum play. We came to a stop inches from a rock faced wall, seat cushions all bunched up where our large intenstines usually sit untrespassed...................................... ...............................If not for all of the technology working flawlessly, my wife, my daughter, and I would not be continuing to breathe today............................................. ............................ Thank- you, GM, for making a bad-ass car, and FU to the clueless dimwit still piddling on down the road.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Sorry you had to go through that but really glad your great Camaro saved the day, plus give yourself some credit for your good reactions. Glad everyone is okay & you are able to tell us about it. Safe travels.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Scalded Dog

Thanks, Ruby... I pride myself on driving skills and awareness, but this time, I've got to give 95% of the credit to the car. I inadvertently put my family into a very bad situation; the car bailed us out!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Mdipinto

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro silver black stripe
One of the reasons I have a SS is because of the Brakes. They saved me so many times, I'm a horrible driver, and if I'm in a jam, I like to give some space, and some people take advantage, just coming back from NJ this weekend, I was doing 40 with enough space, and 2 cars pulled from the other lane out of the blue, not even used turn signals. I had to brake somewhat hard, I got about 2 or 3 inches from the car in front of me.
I felt bad for the car behind me that had to maneuver to the emergency area so he could properly stop, as he was riding tight to me.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdipinto View Post
...I'm a horrible driver, and if I'm in a jam, I like to give some space, and some people take advantage...
Sounds like even if you're not a great driver you know your limitations and plan accordingly. That's better than 80% of the drivers out there!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Stabilitrak ,airbags,ABS are reasons number 1,2 and 3 that I traded my perfect 3rd Gen for a new 5thGen.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
Sounds like even if you're not a great driver you know your limitations and plan accordingly. That's better than 80% of the drivers out there!

THIS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdipinto
Originally Posted by Mdipinto
...I'm a horrible driver, and if I'm in a jam, I like to give some space.
Makes you a GREAT driver!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Was he driving a Prius?
Ha! Nope, not a Priuspism... the pushin' comin' to shovin' would have left scales tipped in my favor, or at least a little more equal, in spite of dents and scrapes and those pesky Pruis- smears along the side. No, this guy was driving the proverbial ratty old pick-up truck, three tons to start with, with another ton of rakes, water jugs, shovels, and gunny sacks dangling and flapping in the VERY light breeze he was creating at 35 MPH.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Scalded Dog....as you said, the car did its job.....but there was one thing that had little or no affect.....the scrawny horn. There is a mod for that.....I did it.....and NO ONE will ever again forget that they got in your path when they shouldn't have....

THE HORN MOD
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
^ That horn is amazing, it's pretty far on my list but one day I'll do it just for kicks.

Glad to hear you and your family are safe. I'd say almost every auto accident is caused by human error (stupidity) and I'm glad that technology has advanced far enough to compensate for some of it. People are inconsiderate while driving, I never really understand it.

Someone weaves through traffic like a bat outta hell just to get three car lengths ahead of you in a construction zone interstate parking lot... where's the logic? Sorry, now I'm ranting lol
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote