Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2015, 02:10 AM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
does this sound normal lifters or rockers

i have headers and the sound deadening cover is off the intake manifold. should the lifters be this loud?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
To me it sounds like multiple lifters. I also detect a 'soft tick' which I associate with an exhaust leak.

However bear in mind that aluminum block and heads can amplify normal sounds.

When did you first notice this sound? Immediately upon installing the headers? Also, you recently swapped cams, right? Are you still breaking the cam in?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Mine sounds similar. These motors are very loud with cam/headers.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
It is I think a little loud, I never had any lifter tick on my last cam, though Wong used 7.425 pushrods and I thought he was going 7.375......its what he specked it out to though and I had zero valve train noise. I know he has normal lengths he usually used for ls3 vs l99 and that he promised on building the engine he would spec it out and I was surprised on tear down it was 7.425's he went with so he did exchange the ones I had which were 7.375. I know little things like that make a huge difference compared to a good old small block chevy being one length fits all ..... I know 7.40s are more the norm for l99 I believe and maybe he was thinking .025 off of that the wrong way...?
Anyway I bought 7.425 for this engine I hope shows up on the 29th and hope they are right but he will adjust the size as needed when ever he has a opening on a lift a damn zo6 is in my way now and who knows how many other in line crap. He will drop the engine and trans down not up, and I know he is the best around here by far. He has a facebook, maybe there are some idle clips on there you could compare it too, and as far as valve lash goes and measuring pushrod length with a length checker I do not know on a ls3 what a expert does I am sure he does as he is Wong not wrong..lol. Good Luck, my tuner has guys standing in line and I am there somewhere that's how good he is and he is a one man show.

I also know some people complain about their lifter noise as if its normal but I never had any before and after cam.

And you know what your last engine build sounded like, and the amount of lifter preload is what the little adjustments in length of pushrod are in effect to me and in the "ticking" of the lifter sound from slop I believe in the pushrods hitting loosely more than maybe they should be...anyway that's my opinion, and I bet .025 longer pushrod would make the noise disappear, maybe some builders can respond if they are out there reading?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wongs...g/115667950915
Old 06-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
JCunningham

i just did a cam and lifters. i also removed the black cover that was on the intake manifold.
im using 7.425 rods as per Pat G. LS3 109 intake centerline 117 exhaust centerline. I did cheat a little. I got 22ftlbs at 1 1/2 turns past 0 lash.

real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 06-21-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I thought it sounded a little loud too compared to mine under the hood.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Sounds normal to me.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Here is what I could find in internet searching for you J, good luck this is about the best......

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123147

And this has it from Robert Way the guy who did the step by step for cam install, even this thread got a little confused as to setting the right lifter preload/valve lash....And yes in his cam install I did not agree with limping it down the road to get it tuned and not doing a break in oil change etc...But hey he was real good at documenting what he did and most on here use it to install their cams if they find his DIY thread. I know about trouble and I am sure you do so I did this for you BUD , good luck.

Last edited by christianchevell; 06-21-2015 at 02:38 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
JCunningham

i have his video. im checking now.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
JCunningham

ok i dont get this. with 7.325 i get zero lash but if i add .075 to get 7.4 i get 22ftlbs at 1 turn. if i put the 7.425 pushrod in i get 1 1/4" turn to 22ftlbs.

Last edited by JCunningham; 06-21-2015 at 04:35 PM.