Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
6.2L Hood Emblem Assistance - Updated/Installed/Pics

After getting some input here and from family & friends, I finally decided on going with the 6.2L stainless emblems from EmblemPros. These come as individual numbers/letters and I have some ideas on how to space/align them on the hood.

Before I give it a try, I would like to know if anyone else has installed these or similar individual letter/number emblems. If so, how did you go about aligning/spacing them on your hood. Any pictures of installation and/or your hood after installation would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by Welker2; 09-14-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Update title
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Got pics? (of the emblems)
Old 09-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Got pics? (of the emblems)
Here's the emblem for one side; 4 separate pieces ...
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Very cool OP, idk how people have been putting these on their hoods. However, I assume it would be sharp looking on the trunk in place of the "SS" emblem or the "Chevy Bowtie"...
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
Very cool OP, idk how people have been putting these on their hoods. However, I assume it would be sharp looking on the trunk in place of the "SS" emblem or the "Chevy Bowtie"...
That's not a bad idea; however, my wife just got me these license plate frames ...
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Lay them out just like you have them on the desk in that picture, all measured and spaced the way you want. Then get some masking tape and put it on them, making sure it sticks real well. This will allow you to pick them all up like a big decal, then remove the backing from the adhesive tape and install them. After they are installed you just peel off the masking tape and are all done.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I would lay them out how you want than put them against a straight edge to keep them in line. Then take blue painters and tape the all together so that the spacing and alinement is maintained. Then put painters tape on the car to provide a reference for where you want then. Remove the backing and stick them on. Then remove the blue tape. You could also make a temple out of cardboard instead. I've done it both ways.

Or you could throw caution to the wind and just try to eyeball it. I'm not good enough for that thus why I do one of the above.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Thanks...My first thought & the one I think I'm going to try is making a template that can be used on both sides. My second was the tape idea suggested. As far as eying it, I'm pretty good, but not that good & you don't get a second chance with these. I'll be doing this sometime during the week & I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Put the same Stainless 6.2 L on the engine cover. Along with some Stainless hex bolts and black Hex bolts from hardware store (in place of the fake plastic ones), bolted them in. The Stainless numbers/letters have been on since December when I put them on the new car after purchase, the engine cover was cleaned lightly with rubbing alcohol to make sure there was no manufacturing residue - think they are on there for good. Summer/engine heat did not affect.

Last edited by ron123; 09-13-2015 at 08:14 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Put the same Stainless 6.2 L on the engine cover. Along with some Stainless hex bolts and black Hex bolts from hardware store (in place of the fake plastic ones), bolted them in. The Stainless numbers/letters have been on since December when I put them on the new car after purchase, the engine cover was cleaned lightly with rubbing alcohol to make sure there was no manufacturing residue - think they are on there for good. Summer/engine heat did not affect.

Engine cover looks good; what did you paint the 'CHEVROLET" with?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #11
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Engine cover looks good; what did you paint the 'CHEVROLET" with?
Thanks. The "paint" was the easiest part of the engine cover project; actually, they are decals applied using the wet method which allowed time for alignment before tacking down.
Eager to see your hood pics when you bite-the-bullet and apply the "6.2 L" ... you're right, only one chance on those, good luck.
Actually, you can remove with dental floss but then would need to get the thin double-sided foam tape and precisely re-apply that on back of each number which would be a pain for sure.
Ron

Last edited by ron123; 09-14-2015 at 06:19 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
vgreid

Drives: 2011 'verte SS
Quote:
Thanks. The "paint" was the easiest part of the engine cover project; actually, they are decals applied using the wet method which allowed time for alignment before tacking down.
Would you share info on these decals, for "Chevrolet" and "Camaro SS"?

Good luck with the 6.2 L emblems, I am sure they will look great. Share pics when you are done!
vgreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
MYLSA

Drives: 2014 ZL1 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
That's not a bad idea; however, my wife just got me these license plate frames ...
Sorry not sure where you should put your 6.2L emblem but when you decided looking forward to seeing it...However, can you share whjere your wife found those license plate frames...me like!!! Thanks,
MYLSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #14
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Eager to see your hood pics when you bite-the-bullet and apply the "6.2 L" ... you're right, only one chance on those, good luck.
Actually, you can remove with dental floss but then would need to get the thin double-sided foam tape and precisely re-apply that on back of each number which would be a pain for sure.
Ron
Thanks for the info; found the Chevrolet letter decals at PFYC.com, ordered the 3D carbon ones. Getting ready to head out & pick up a few things to try & make a stencil for doing the hood emblems. I plan on taking pictures on each step and posting them to maybe help anyone else who attempts to do them in the future.