Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
charles71

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Underdrive Pulley

Need some help. I had a SLP 25% under drive crank pulley installed and know my power steering at idle speed is nonexistent. The steering is fine once I get going but at parking lot speeds it is a "B" to turn the wheel. It worked fine before the swap. Has this happened to anyone before and how did you fix it besides removing the pulley? If the shop did not in stall the new smaller belts would this make a difference? The new belts are not much smaller and the old belts are pretty snug.
Livernois Stage II Heads & Cam, LS7 Lifters, Ported Intake & Throttle Body, Rotofab CAI, BBK High Flow Fuel Rail @ Guage, Eaton Tru Trac Posi with 3.91 gears, 1000 HP Axels, Kooks Long tubes & full Corsa Exhaust, GM Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Mcleod RXT Twin Disc, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 1.5" Lowering Springs, Strut Tower Brace, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, Apex reservoir relocation kit and air scoop.
charles71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Cause and effect would sound like you may now need to purchase a smaller pulley for the power steering if it can fit to increase the distance traveled for the spinning pulley of the power steering pump. You may want to contact SLP and ask them. Even though having raised your cars idle with a cam to 900+ which can counter the effects of the under drive % in the electrical charging system the under driving is not good for the performance of the A/C system along with the power steering. Even though I have electric power steering I am using a Fluidampr which only under drives the electrical not the A/C and it is made with a detachable pulley. Good Luck to you. And of course if had to purchase a smaller pulley you may need a smaller belt....

Last edited by christianchevell; 10-10-2015 at 08:14 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I've been running an UDP for 15K miles, no issues like you described.

As for the performance gains, every bit counts.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
I too have an UDP pulley, SLP in my case too, nearly 20K on it with no issues whatsoever. I have a feeling there's a problem with your pump. They've been known to burn up doing donuts and such,, high revs while the steering is cranked to one side or the other. Not saying that's your case, but they have gone out on multiple other Camaros before.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
See the guys with that pulley are chiming in: I have heard rarely of separation happening with a SLP underdrive and the thing falling apart... I also wonder if your driving the car way too low lugging it as cammed I have go to at least 1200 rpm. And 1500 is more optimal and less chance of surge/bucking. Anyone doing it should have had to install new belts as the old ones would not fit. the idler ok? is the belt routed right? is the power steering pump low on fluid now? is the belt the new one? many things to consider, and of course you should be able to easily turn the steering wheel with one finger at a stop..