Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Traditional bankruptcy would have been a liquidation.... no Camaro for you.

Still vote for that traditional bankruptcy?
Yup, look up Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I do feel the current CEO is no car guy and GM's recent successes with cool cars was due to Lutz, a real car guy, who is very political by the way too.
One of GM's complaints about the bailout are the salary caps placed on it. This hurts GM when it comes to recruiting top talent.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
Traditional bankruptcy would not have liquidated gm but simply reorganize most likely without the unions, I'll let u all put 2 and 2 together on that one...
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Thanks Ronss, there are different variations of bankruptcy. Delta Airlines went bankrupt and came back, akin to what AA is going through now. Liquidation is for when nothing is left.

One bunch of folks who really got screwed was the senior bond holders, which got next to nothing.

Somebody stated that now GM has quite the stigma due to the govt bailout. 40yrs ago they were Generous Motors and what was good for GM was good for the USA. Seems the two track each other pretty well.

In the latest news, GM wants to buy outstanding US Govt shares but they won't sell as they would take such a loss in share price. Only time the US govt is worried about saving a buck.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
Traditional bankruptcy would not have liquidated gm but simply reorganize most likely without the unions, I'll let u all put 2 and 2 together on that one...
You can only reorganize and continue operations if you have operating capitol. For a large industrial company it takes xxx millions every month in operating capitol just to turn the lights on and function. When the cash on hand approaches zero, and there is no private lending, a reorganization bankruptcy simply won't work. Congrats, you're reorganized.... oops how do you pay the suppliers, employees, utilities....

A bankruptcy judge's first question would have been where is your capitol to continue business. Don't have any. Reorganization bankruptcy denied, go get in the liquidation line.

"Simply reorganize" sounds nice, it's a kabillion times more complicated... but comes down to the basic fact of reorganizing does you zero good with no working capitol. Which is exactly why they reorganized with govt capitol.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Chapter 11 isn't only about reorganizing/restructuring.

But you're right, Chapter 11 only works if financing is available. However, I don't think that would have been an issue for GM. And even if it had been, I don't think allowing the government to purchase stocks in the company should ever have been on the table.

But hey, we are where we are now regardless of how we feel it should have been handled.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

But you're right, Chapter 11 only works if financing is available. However, I don't think that would have been an issue for GM. And even if it had been, I don't think allowing the government to purchase stocks in the company should ever have been on the table.

But hey, we are where we are now regardless of how we feel it should have been handled.
I agree, i still,believe they would have come out a lot better without, the Feds messing with it..that's just my opinion , and you know what they said opinions are like a--holes everybody has one...
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

You're overlooking public perception. GM was losing sales because they were in financial trouble and people were worried about them being around long enough to even fix the cars they already had sold. Them filing bankruptcy wouldn't have helped create the idea of stability amongst the general public and sales would have declined even more than they did.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

But...they still had to file bankruptcy...

Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
It wasn't my intent to be political, but I guess it can't be helped. I do feel the current CEO is no car guy and GM's recent successes with cool cars was due to Lutz, a real car guy, who is very political by the way too. Interesting guy, he was in favor of the Camaro and the Volt. If you are .500 in baseball, you go to the All-Star game if not the Hall of Fame.
Actually was not a Volt proponent in the begining. Once he was on board, however, it was his idea. LOL

Keep in mind Lutz gets credit for the Cobalt as much as for the Solstice/Sky. Sadly, though, in business batting .500 doesn't get you much.

He was a LARGE force and was the driver for change in thinking more than he was for change in product at GM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I expect this guy will get a 10 day ban for this like I did right? Without any warning or anything of course. It's only fair. (don't worry you won't)
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #26
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
I expect this guy will get a 10 day ban for this like I did right? Without any warning or anything of course. It's only fair. (don't worry you won't)
Lol doubtful. These mods seem to do whatever they want.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #27
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
To stay open it was going to have to come from Gov. Not an investor in the world would have sunk that kind of money into that. (not that it would be a big list who COULD have)

Without the bailouts there would have been a depression that could have approached the great depression in many areas.

Of course WITH the bailouts will now create an even worse one later. But at long as WE are comfy NOW, right?

If you're majoring in arts and entertainment you might want to rethink your direction.

While close to relevance to the site as this topic is, to keep politics out is possible. We have done it before. Short threads though.

Last edited by PQ; 09-19-2012 at 01:28 AM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #28
Berean

Drives: Truck
As I said in another thread.......

It's funny how the defenders of the bailouts act like every single GM job, and all their supplier jobs, would have been lost if they went into normal bankruptcy.

It's as if all the people who were going to buy cars and trucks would suddenly decide to never buy anything again. Ridiculous.

Sure, there would have been jobs lost. The inefficient parts of the company would have went under. But guess what?

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED ANYWAY WITH THE TAXPAYER BAILOUT. GM STILL LOST 23 THOUSAND JOBS AND CLOSED 13 PLANTS.

You know what the difference is? Government got to pick the winners (UAW) and losers (secured bondholders, salaried employee retirement funds), and THEY USED YOUR TAX MONEY TO DO IT.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote