Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Cleaning Hints...

I have some spots on the car's paint finish, don't want to come out so easy. Really don't wish to buff them out with any compound or anything that would start to diminish the clearcoat or paint.

Looked up the clay bar I read here many times. Is there one in particular that is better than the other and wouldn't remove more than just the spots? I am thinking they probably come in different types in regards to how abrasive they are...

Also, I did see once or more about how to remove tough spots/marks on the windows. Can someone chime in on that or send a link to the thread?

Thanks everyone.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
mothers makes a clay bar kit that sells at most auto parts stores. The clay will not hurt your clear coat.-just follow the directions on the box.

I had tiny white paint spots on my car...after using the mothers clay bar kit, the paint was smooth and the specks were gone.
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
Meguiar's

Just used Meguiar's Clay Bar for the body with Turtle Wax synthetic wax.

For the windows, the best I've actually used is probably right in your kitchen: Water + Vinegar mixed in a spray bottle. That cuts out any swirl marks that you can't get off. Worth a shot.

Here's how it looked when I got done the other day:
Name:  IMAG0247.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  124.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0262 - Copy.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  89.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0271 - Copy.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  64.7 KB

Last edited by CamaroKevin; 09-18-2012 at 07:58 PM.
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
+1 Meguiars clay kit ftw!
mattsfirstSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
[QUOTE=CamaroKevin;5591887]Just used Meguiar's Clay Bar for the body with Turtle Wax synthetic wax.

For the windows, the best I've actually used is probably right in your kitchen: Water + Vinegar mixed in a spray bottle. That cuts out any swirl marks that you can't get off. Worth a shot.

Did you let him in your kitchen? J/K

If that don't work window cleaner with ammonia takes everything off windows. Just don't use it on the inside if you have tint or you'll have purple windows.
AAC lighting, 2 sub thump boxes with Rockford 10s
4 20x9" factory wheels powder coated Satin Black
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKevin View Post

Huh?

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
All clay is the same. So just buy the cheapest one you can find.

If you want to make your life a little easier and don't mind spending a little more, I would just buy the clay "towel" they have now since its a lot easier to use.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Clark Grizwald
Brewmaster

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2015 Tundra 1794
[QUOTE=CamaroKevin;5591887]Just used Meguiar's Clay Bar for the body with Turtle Wax synthetic wax.

is that mixture safe for tinted windows?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
I'm getting out of my part time detail biz, and have some of the Original Clay Magic kits left..$20 shipped. Their mild clay is a little more aggressive than OTC Meg's and Mother's. It comes with a bottle of lube too. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246548
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I have some spots on the car's paint finish, don't want to come out so easy. Really don't wish to buff them out with any compound or anything that would start to diminish the clearcoat or paint.

Looked up the clay bar I read here many times. Is there one in particular that is better than the other and wouldn't remove more than just the spots? I am thinking they probably come in different types in regards to how abrasive they are...

Also, I did see once or more about how to remove tough spots/marks on the windows. Can someone chime in on that or send a link to the thread?

Thanks everyone.

Here's a great write up by Todd@Autopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autpia
A common question on this forum (and others) is how do I remove water marks from my paint.

Before we can prescribe a solution it is important to diagnose the problem.
Visible water marks generally fall into 2 categories, as illustrated below: Mark Spots and Water Etching.

Water Spots: Water spots are caused by evaporation of water droplets. Water is usually not pure and has some solid material that is left behind from the evaporation. Water spots are the solid remains left behind from water and they can adhere to the paint fairly strongly. Water spots should be considered contaminates or above surface paint defects.

Solution: If the water spots are fairly fresh then a wash with car soap and water can remove them. If they have adhered to the paint strongly or formed a bond they will be more difficult to remove. Wiping the paint with a chemical cleaner such as Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover will help loosen and remove them. If this doesn't work a clay bar, an All In One (cleaner/wax) or even a light machine polishing may be necessary.

Water Etching: Water etching is caused by a chemical reaction between the material in the water or the chemical make up of the water. Metal and calcium in the water spots, will over time, begin to eat away at the clear coat. This results in a crater, usually deeper along the outer rim, where the clear coat has been removed. Sometimes liquid chemicals in the water, such as high levels of acid (acid rain damage) can cause etching almost instantly.

The longer that water spots are allowed to sit on the paint and the more heat and sunlight they are exposed to, the greater the risk of them creating etching. Water etching is damage to the paint or a below surface defect.

Solution: The depth and severity of the water etching will ultimately effect the exact process that is used for removal. In the case of light water etching, a light machine polishing may fully remove them. With moderate to severe water etching the paint will likely need to be compounded or wetsanded to fully remove them. The best way to solve water etching is not allow it to take place to begin with.

The question of this thread is how to remove water spots, which as the article above describes as stubborn mineral deposits on the paint. Since this the focus of this article I will concentrate on their removal. Removing the other type of spots- water etchings- requires resurfacing the paint (either aggressive compound polishing or wet sanding) to repair.

The following are the common ways used to treat water spots.
  • Chemical Cleaning with a Water Spot Remover
  • Detailing Clay Treatment
  • Light Hand/Machine Polishing
  • Pre-Wax Paint Cleansing Lotion
  • All-In-One Cleaner Wax Application

Chemical Cleaning with a Water Spot Remover-

This is perhaps the least invasive method. For years people have used, and I have recommended mixing distilled white vinegar with water (1:1). Wash the car first then wipe the paint with the solution and let dwell for 5-10 minutes, then agitate with microfiber towel and rinse off. This works fairly well, and the ingredients needed (vinegar + water) is readily available. The down side is that it works 'okay' and your garage, car, and drive way will stink for weeks!

Another viable cleaning solution is Chemical Guy's Water Spot Remover. We are bringing this product into our store after experiencing first hand how well it removes water spots. I know several (extremely high end detailers) who have used this product to remove water spots plastic trim and cowlings!

Detailing Clay Treatment-

A lot has been written about using detailing clay to remove water spots and for good reason. It cleans most contamination off the paint's surface quickly. Detailing Clay can struggle with some low level water spots only because they have no real thickness. Detailing clay floats above a lubricant and abrades any contaminants that stick above the paint's surface. However many times enthusiasts have clay handy so it is a recommended treatment because it works often.

Light Hand/Machine Polishing-

Lightly polishing the paint with an ultra fine abrasive polish will scrub the water spots clean and well and increase the gloss and clarity of the paint.

For hand polishing consider Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.

For machine polishing team up a soft foam finishing pad (such as a Lake Country Black Pad) with a an ultra fine machine polish like BLACKFIRE SCR Finishing Polish or Menzerna SF4500 (the same exact polish used at the Mercedes Factory for assembly line refinishing as a last step for ultimate gloss).

Pre-Wax Paint Cleansing Lotion-

"Paint Cleaners" are a great choice for removing light water spots. Paint Cleansing Lotions are design to deep clean the paint and prepare for a fresh coat of wax. Many wax or paint sealant manufacturers make paint cleansing lotions that clean the paint and prime it for their wax/sealant. They use either a chemical cleaning solution or a fine polish or a combination of both.

The two best I have used are BLACKFIRE's Gloss Enhancing Polish or Utlima Paint Guard Prep

All In One Cleaner Waxes

Cleaner Waxes or AIO's combine a wax or sealant with the properites of a paint cleansing lotion. They are designed to clean the paint and protect it one, time saving step.

KLASSE AIO is a classic in this field, where BLACKFIRE Total Polish N Seal uses the latest in technology/advancements.

You can apply most AIO's by hand or machine. If applying by hand (like a paint cleansing lotion) you want to work into the paint with a foam applicator with a little bit of passion.

These are some of the options of removing water spots. Depending on your goals each can work. After using Chemical Guy's Water Spot Remover, I am excited to be adding this as an addition to our growing Chemical Guy's line up. It will make a viable cleansing option and should be available shortly.

Comments, questions, suggestions are always welcome!

Hope this will get you in the right direction.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Huh?
Swirl marks on the windows, not the paint. I usually get swirl marks from wiping the windows with regular window cleaner. Water + Vinegar cuts those window swirl marks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Grizwald View Post
is that mixture safe for tinted windows?
Been hearing it can change the color of your tint to purple? I am not completely sure about that though. I have a slight tint on mine, but have only used it on the exterior of the windows so far. I really can't say for sure. I'll try to look into it and let you know.
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKevin View Post
Swirl marks on the windows, not the paint. I usually get swirl marks from wiping the windows with regular window cleaner. Water + Vinegar cuts those window swirl marks out.

Been hearing it can change the color of your tint to purple? I am not completely sure about that though. I have a slight tint on mine, but have only used it on the exterior of the windows so far. I really can't say for sure. I'll try to look into it and let you know.
Just use Adam's glass cleaner and glass towel.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Huh?

*In life, there are no nandroids*

He means streaks when cleaning glass...
Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
All clay is the same. So just buy the cheapest one you can find.
There are many manufacturers of clay, and many many many different formulations of clay as well, from mild to aggressive, from cheap to expensive.

All clay sold in the USA has to be sold under the patent that is owned by clay magic, but it is not the same nor is it sourced from one manufacturer.

Cheaper clay formulas (as well as really aggressive clay forumulas) are more likely to scratch paint.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote