Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
GM's Fortunes These Days...

So before the bailout, the foreign operations were mostly bankrolling GM, especially Buick in China. Not so much anymore.

Currently, GM owes us taxpayers $25 BILLION and it is growing.

Let's keep this civil, no politics, just how a business should be run, or not...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...o-foreign-aid/
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
i did my part. i bought two camaros
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
TTAC = no credibility.

Just sayin'.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
rrpilot

Drives: Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Flex
Much of what GM is facing now was brought up during the bailout and many voiced that Gvt had no business handling the bankruptcy which in most cases was done illegally. Most GM bond holders got shafted. What does a Gvt appointed car czar know about the auto industry nothing that's what. The bankruptcy should have been handled through the court, not Federal Gvt.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
how are you not going to bring politics in with a thread like this? In before the lock.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
People think that GM can just dump it's overseas operations and stop spending money, but it's not that easy. EU rules would have GM paying workers for years if they just shut down Opel, and bailing out of the Asian and South American markets would be a short term fix that would see a dramatic loss of market share in these areas in the future. With the global economy in turmoil, the winners will be those who can ride out the storm. GM has to restructure much of it's global manufacturing, but just walking away will leave them much further behind when the economy revives. Planning for the next quarter instead of the next 20 quarters leads companies into self destructive operational plans.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpilot View Post
Much of what GM is facing now was brought up during the bailout and many voiced that Gvt had no business handling the bankruptcy which in most cases was done illegally. Most GM bond holders got shafted. What does a Gvt appointed car czar know about the auto industry nothing that's what. The bankruptcy should have been handled through the court, not Federal Gvt.
It was.

Gvt didn't handle the bankruptcy, a New York bankruptcy court did. The US Govt was one of three investors in the new corporation proposed to the court.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
The GM bankruptcy should have been conducted in accordance with the laws on the books. Had that happened, it would have emerged as a stronger company than it is now. With the way it actually went down, some, but not all of the structural problems old GM had were addressed.

The management of GM concerns me as well. Several months ago, the CEO was caught saying something along the lines of car guys are the problem and that more financial engineering is the solution, suggesting the same mentality from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s is alive and well. The current crop of cars hitting the markets now, which have the fingerprints of the likes of Lutz, are for the most part what the company needs, sans the Volt. I'm concerned about what the product mix will look like 5+ years from now, as the products initiated and developed under current leadership make up the majority of what they have to offer.

In short, based on what I'm seeing, I'm concerned that many of the same old mistakes and problems are still buried in the structure of the company, leading to another potential bankruptcy. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
The bankruptcy was handled in accordance with bankruptcy law. You can question whether the goverment had the authority to serve as an investor, but that has nothing to do with whether the bankruptcy code was followed. And unless you really want a discussion on the minutae of the bankruptcy code, this entire thread is a political discussion.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
silver96camaro

Drives: 2011 cyber grey metallic camaro ls
Send a message via Yahoo to silver96camaro
well according to battletech lore GM is alive and doing mostly well up to at least the year 3083 although production has mostly shifted to mechs.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/General_Motors
Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver96camaro View Post
well according to battletech lore GM is alive and doing mostly well up to at least the year 3083 although production has mostly shifted to mechs.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/General_Motors

GM will be around forever...beers for everyone
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
no GM, no 5th...no 5th, no forum..
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
The management of GM concerns me as well. Several months ago, the CEO was caught saying something along the lines of car guys are the problem and that more financial engineering is the solution, suggesting the same mentality from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s is alive and well.
That wasn't Ed Whitacre was it? I remember when he said, "I don’t know anything about cars. A business is a business, and I think I can learn about cars. I’m not that old, and I think the business principles are the same."

I would hope the current CEO does not have that same mentality. IMO, the perfect CEO for any car company would be a 'car guy' type who also knows how to run a business/corporation.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
TTAC = no credibility.

Just sayin'.
Zero credibility... GM bashers.

OP, you lost me at TTAC
Closed Thread