Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #113
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Indiana has stopped with personalized plates. Started this summer, a police officer had oink on his and someone complained it was offensive so they stopped all new applications

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
That's one of the dumbest things I've heard for a while. The officer obviously has a good sense of humor and some other resident has none at all, so they are punishing everyone.

If you find out why 14 1LE is offensive, let us know. I sure don't see it.
The personalized plates were suspended because of a pending class action lawsuit over the 0INK. It wasn't another driver that complained, but rather someone at the BMV thought it was inappropriate.

The nanny state grows....

From USA Today article:

"The lawsuit that prompted the BMV to park the vanity plate program was filed in Marion County Superior Court in May by the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana on behalf of a Greenfield policeman, Rodney Vawter.

For three years, Vawter had a license plate that read "0INK" — with a zero in place of the O — but when he tried to renew it in March, it was rejected.

The lawsuit says Vawter considers the plate's verbal pig snort "an ironic statement of pride in his profession."

"Corporal Vawter selected the phrase 'oink' for his license plate because, as a police officer who has been called 'pig' by arrestees, he thought it was both humorous and also a label that he wears with some degree of pride," the lawsuit states.

The BMV this year told Vawter the plate was inappropriate, and cited a state statute that allows the BMV to refuse to issue a plate that officials believe carries "a connotation offensive to good taste and decency" or "would be misleading.""
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #114
Timna

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Timna, how long was it from the time you ordered your plate and you received the first letter from the DMV? I placed the order for a plate about a month ago on 1/27 and haven't received anything from the DMV yet.

Thanks
I ordered the plates 10/26 & got the first notice 12/24.
Timna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #115
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timna View Post
I ordered the plates 10/26 & got the first notice 12/24.
Thanks. Looks like I have another month to wait.
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote