Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjbaker View Post
I see people modding their ZL1s extensively. Heads and cam on a F/I car...I know habits die hard for the LSX folks but is all that really necessary to get some decent power out of this engine? I say that somewhat in jest of course reference "old habits"...

I guess my real question of getting beat over the head by the Ford crowd for so long is:

Is there a simple tune/pulley(s)/exhaust mod kit that can get you "respectable power" without breaking the bank??? I would define "respectable power" around 600rwhp. And I will define the "bank" as somewhere in the $2000 range....not to exceed $4000. I guess just looking for high gains in HP without a lot of cash spent....something that has not been the case(save for nitrous) in the LSX commuity and something my Ford friends have always boasted about.

Does it exist in the ZL1???

Sorry if this is an ignorant question and have been trying to get up to speed by reading this forum. My previous Cars were 2000 Corvette Coupe, 2002 ZO6, 2006 GTO
The only Ignorant Question is the one that goes UnAsked.

This engine has been around a long time in the CTSV which we have lots of experinece with.

Many of my customers have taken the simple bolt on route, CAI, Pulley and Tune which makes significant gains for not to much cash to the tune of 80-100 RWHP

So depending on where your base numbers are, will determine your final numbers, for example mine ZL-1 is an Auto and put down 465 465 RW Stock so I would expect to be 550-565 RWHP with just these simple bolt ons.

A Manual car will put down closer to 500 RWHP and will end up at near 600 RWHP with these simple mods.

Moving forward I will be testing combinations that will allow users to select the HP level and Dollar Level they want to fall in to Specific to the ZL-1 on my own car.

My personal feeling it the car does not need much more than 50-100 HP to remain at the Top of the Class, and past that I don't think the Tires will hold it anyway, I have trouble with traction Now.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
KD Innovations

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
That's not a bad price at all, and all that work is pretty simple to do.
We have a great installer and tuner in TX. KDi makes more power, owns one of these cars and goes to the actual track.
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
KD Innovations

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Gen Forever View Post
My build started with simple stuff...
And now you are calling me out!
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
GLGJR

Drives: 09 CTS-V
I have known Andy at ADM for several years. He has owned every year of the fifth gen Camaros and all of his work is top notch. I wish I had some pics of my CTS V on my work computer. It looked bone stock under the hood and ran 10.50s through COMPLETELY stock exhaust. My new combo for the V will be very nice. No more stock exhaust lol.

Good Luck,
Gene Griffith
GLGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Innovations View Post
Calling you out?

As far as I'm concerned, anything my car does is credit to KDi and Damon!
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
flyjbaker

Drives: none yet
Quote:
I am pretty sure what he meant is that he started out with the same intentions as me(I don't even own the car)...and then got the bug and couldn't stop.

KDI, who do you use in Texas and where...it is a big state...
flyjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Quote:
We have a great installer and tuner in TX. KDi makes more power, owns one of these cars and goes to the actual track.
After the warranty is out, then I'll mod.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The only Ignorant Question is the one that goes UnAsked.

This engine has been around a long time in the CTSV which we have lots of experinece with.

Many of my customers have taken the simple bolt on route, CAI, Pulley and Tune which makes significant gains for not to much cash to the tune of 80-100 RWHP

So depending on where your base numbers are, will determine your final numbers, for example mine ZL-1 is an Auto and put down 465 465 RW Stock so I would expect to be 550-565 RWHP with just these simple bolt ons.

A Manual car will put down closer to 500 RWHP and will end up at near 600 RWHP with these simple mods.

Moving forward I will be testing combinations that will allow users to select the HP level and Dollar Level they want to fall in to Specific to the ZL-1 on my own car.

My personal feeling it the car does not need much more than 50-100 HP to remain at the Top of the Class, and past that I don't think the Tires will hold it anyway, I have trouble with traction Now.

Ted.
Ted, could you pm me the price for these 3 mods.Something like this is all I want to do(plus a Rx catch can)!!!
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssasdad View Post
Ted, could you pm me the price for these 3 mods.Something like this is all I want to do(plus a Rx catch can)!!!
PM sent.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
After the warranty is out, then I'll mod.
Three years is a long time to sit on the fence. I would drive the car for a couple thousand miles to see if there are any concerns. Most problems would show up by then and you have many heat cycles on the motor, tranny, diff, etc. Then do a 650 or 750 HP package. You still have warranty on 90% of the vehicle even after the tweeks.

I have driven a stock ZL1 and its engine perf is very good, but not great. Add the engine upgrade packages, then it is awesome. And, as said on earlier post living in Texas has its advantages.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
There can be a lot of reasons pro and con for modding before warranty is up. Here's my personal experience. I put 5550 miles on my ZL1 before it ended up on jack stands with exhaust and all intake down to the heads removed.

In that 5550 miles, I broke the engine in per the manual and had all service done per the manual. I noticed 2 issues that will most likely require service later but with, both my dealer was unable to replicate so nothing was done.

First issue was with the A/C acting up. Others here on the forum have experienced it too. Second issue was with a driveline slip at times after clutch engagement. After the mods and how extensively I have been through this car, I'm thinking the second is a clutch issue. No idea on the A/C problem but the car still does it.

During my tear down, I discovered a battery ground cable installed physically contacting my exhaust manifold and burning through. This future problem I discovered and fixed because I modded the car.

The reason I share this is to point out that no matter if you wait or you don't to modify, you need to enjoy your car whatever that takes. Just be realistic and plan for your choice. For me that means I will most likely have a warranty "discussion" later when the A/C problem is discovered because mine might be blamed on mods. (higher RPM or something) and I will be paying for an aftermarket clutch due to mods even though my stock one may have issues.

I could have waited for both to be resolved but how many miles could that have taken and how melted would my wiring become causing who knows what in the mean time.

I'm very happy with my ZL1 right now. It's a monster when I squeeze it and behaves very civilized when I don't. If anything fails because of what I did, I'll pay the bill. That's my plan.
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #26
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNdew View Post
headers, CAi, crank pulley and a good tune.