Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #29
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Do you guys get dirty looks, flashed with high beams or flipped off for driving in the snow? I have a few times in the last week, people look at me like I'm an idiot and going to wreck. I did have one guy in a truck pull up beside me in a truck, looked at me (woman), looked at my tires and gave me a thumbs up!!! I love my car!!!!!
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #30
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
Before I left work last night the next shift of people were coming in later than usual, it was snowing, there was icing under the snow, highways were shutting down, etc. An OH SH** moment. Should I wait for snow plows to do there thing or should I chance it. Well, you know what, this will be a good time to check out them blizzaks, Im gonna go for it.
I picked my route out in my mind, the best way with the least amount of hills and curves. 1/3 of the way home, no problems, no traffic, now to hit a more popular road. Oh no, cops with flares out, can't go this way, gotta go up hill. I see a lot of tail lights about a quarter mile away, so I go truckin through. No problems till I get to all the stopped traffic, cars spinning, cars sideways, cars stopped. I decide im doing fine, gonna take the inside lane, up I go till I get to the next batch of stopped cars, waiting, waiting, waiting, I guess I can go around the outside of these stopped cars. Yep, no problem. Uh oh, lights about to change, Im sure I can go thru on very yellow, hope that state trooper turning behind me dont get me for that. Nope, I don't think he can keep up with me; Im in a tank...... More flairs, more cops, cars sideways on the sidewalk, I gotta turn, no problem. Uh oh, this road has not seen any kind of plow yet, cars are stuck, and Im just trucking on through.
Amazing, not once did I have an oh sh** moment. I felt like the king of the road.. I cannot help but think people were thinking WTF, thats a Camaro passing me in this crap....
I have been thinking about a new car lately, been deciding over an SS or a few others, this has really got me loving my Camaro again.
Thanks for reading,
Gary
Great story about skill, knowledge, and determination
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #31
onewaydave
Innocent Bystander

Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM/2002 35th SS/2009 GMC
I have not had any Camaros pass me in the Sierra, but I do pass a lot of cars and trucks with non-winter tires!

Living on the RaGgEd EdGe!
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #32
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Had to drive through Amarillo TX. There, ice on bridge means drive as fast as you can over it to gain traction on the other side.
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #33
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver85IrocZ View Post
Cool story from last year metthem
Good luck this season with your LS !!!

Its true Tires and Common Sense.
Was late in the season and my tires
on my Hhr were getting worn.

Never would i have thought i would fish tail in
a front wheel drive but it happened.
Was able to catch it both times thank goodness.

And i am sure the person sitting at the light to my right
thought they were gonna see me wreck.
fwd cars can be surprisingly prone to oversteer, my cobalt ss turbo was way more loose in the back end in the snow than my zl1, both cars have/had blizzaks, and im talking about when neither car had power, or ebrake applied, obviously spinning the rears on the zl1 would make the back end kick out more, but the zl1 is surprisingly neutral
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
NovaDaddy
Nova Daddy

Drives: 2012 Cummins/1972 Nova 2 door coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
Do you guys get dirty looks, flashed with high beams or flipped off for driving in the snow? I have a few times in the last week, people look at me like I'm an idiot and going to wreck. I did have one guy in a truck pull up beside me in a truck, looked at me (woman), looked at my tires and gave me a thumbs up!!! I love my car!!!!!
Arrogant know it alls! I usual have people commenting at the gas station "That probably sucks in the snow" or something of the sort!
NovaDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Haha I know what the OP means exactly! I'm in Canada (Calgary, AB to be exact), and we were just hit with "one of the worst blizzards" in a long time...I find this funny because I went driving all four days it lasted, I was cruising by people with AWD, no problems (I'm generally rather careful). Only problem I had was clearance, I got stuck once in a church parking lot but only because I didn't check the depth before I went to go mess around. Even then, didn't take much to get out...

Minus the fact our cars are RWD, I'd say they're actually better than most vehicles come the winter...besides the late 90's Altimas, that car was a beast...
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #36
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Mine stinks in the snow, so I don't drive it when it snows. Got caught out once when we got about 3" last year and what is usually about a 10 minute ride home was nearly 45 minutes with nothing but oh shit moments.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #37
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
As everyone said, it is all about the tires.

I'm 38. When I got my first sports car just over 20 years ago, I was in high school. It was an 88 Mustang engine in a 78 Capri body. I tthought: I can drive this through winter no problem! I can't tell you how many times I got stuck.

Many years later I got a Crown Vic and a ballsy set of snow tires. Threw some.sand bags in the trunk too.What a difference.

Last year I bought a 2013 Camaro SS convert. Never had any intention of driving it in Mass winters, even knowing I could easily do so with good tires. I put it in storage yesterday. Big storm here so great timing. I use my little tiny Chevrolet Aveo (I know) for commuting and winter. My camaro replaced my motorcycle and is really just a weekend car. For real bad storms I can use wife's Sorrento. I have a feeling that little Aveo isn't all that great in snow either.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #38
ThePopo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
What are the best winter tires you guys tried out on your Camaro? I'm using Gmax AS03 and they are great up to the speed limit lol. But I would like a more aggressive edge profile. AS03 are a bit too sloped for heavy drifting in the snow.
ThePopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #39
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePopo View Post
What are the best winter tires you guys tried out on your Camaro? I'm using Gmax AS03 and they are great up to the speed limit lol. But I would like a more aggressive edge profile. AS03 are a bit too sloped for heavy drifting in the snow.
I have Blizzaks myself (not sure the model, I think the 60's) and they are pretty good if I want to drift a bit (for fun I'm assuming you mean)
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #40
RallyellowRS

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Forgive me but I'm about to ask a dumb question. Do you change from your summer tires to snow tires? Where do you store the tires that your not using? Do you go to a shop to get them switched?
RallyellowRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #41
sstnt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
Here in CO, I swap out Mid-October to my Blizzaks, Mid-April back to my P-Zeros. I just keep my spares tires/wheels under a tarp next to my garage. I bought a spare set of TPMS sensors, so after I swap out, I just have to reset them. No way I go to a shop just to swap tires, I have a nice jack and changing over takes maybe 45 minutes total.
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #42
Phillyone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS Silver/Black Stripes
I bought a set of 17" msw by oz wheels with blizzak dmv1's for $500 and they were only used 5 months. Things are incredible in the snow! Nobody believes me at work they all say "are you sure you don't need a ride"

Purchased August 2013
Phillyone is offline   Reply With Quote