Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #43
sscarolina

Drives: Victory Red 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Never had any real issue with visibility, sure its not great, but I'll take form over function. Even a minor improvement will be fine with me.

The only complaint that I have with the 6th gen is that it's better in every way possible compared to my 5th gen..
sscarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #44
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscarolina View Post
The only complaint that I have with the 6th gen is that it's better in every way possible compared to my 5th gen..
Exactly, and with a heavy heart my girl is up for sale, but only because I plan on replacing it with a 6th gen next year.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #45
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Well I have to withhold judgment until I can sit in and drive one and that's still many months away.

Outward visibility in the Gen5 is horrid. High cowl and high belt line hinder front and side views. Slammed roof line makes side views bad. Rear quarter is non existent. A result of using Zeta and having to slam the style on top of it.

As many of you know I have preached that GM needed to significantly improve the visibility. Mrs. Number 3 wouldn't drive a 5th gen unless she had to. She is petite and the car is huge with horrid sight lines.

This car was apparently design to please the existing Camaro buyer, NOT to entice new buyers who may not have otherwise considered one. And once again GM has sacrificed true greatness for the sake of styling. Don't get me wrong, that works................to a point.

You can throw an LT1 and the new 8 speed in a turdmobile and people would buy it. But the V6 and L4 crowd may be looking for a car they can drive in the city, park easily and put things in the trunk without effort.

I believe the Gen 6 Camaro will sell well. Probably back to previous heights of the Gen 5. And that will make it a "mild" success.

Now is it better than the Mustang? I haven't been in the new Mustang either so I can't compare the two cars. And the Mustang is currently selling in HUGE numbers that are somewhat baffling other than the 2014 Mustang must have really been a piece of poop.

Maybe it's ok for the car to simply look good and go great. But sacrificing rear seat space, what looks like less trunk room and having higher belt with a more slammed roof don't seem to make for the sake of styling?

Not suggesting I want one any less either. But I fear these concerns could send me in another direction.
I really can't think of any performance car that had great visibility. Why does everyone pick on this car? To me, it's almost impossible to build a good looking performance car with exceptional visibility that will invoke passion in people. I guess if they would go back to the days of the big bodied muscle cars they may be able to get visibility and looks. Sound like you are looking for a four door performance sedan to me. The Corvette isn't great on visibility either. I don't hear or read about people complaining that it should be changed.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 AM   #46
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
"GM said it themselves. They asked the owners (notice not potential owners) if they wanted style or visibility. They have clearly told us "we" picked style."

This pretty much sums it up. It seems that GM was mostly influenced by what current 5th gen. owners had to say about the new car. These are people who actually went out and bought the 5th gen. Potential Camaro owners might have been in the majority in saying to fix the visibility issue.

I wonder if GM has any data on how many missed sales were due to the visibility issue. Would they have sold alot more 5 gen Camaros if visibility was better?
It cost them two with me. I bought two from "the other guys".
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #47
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I really can't think of any performance car that had great visibility. Why does everyone pick on this car? To me, it's almost impossible to build a good looking performance car with exceptional visibility that will invoke passion in people. I guess if they would go back to the days of the big bodied muscle cars they may be able to get visibility and looks. Sound like you are looking for a four door performance sedan to me. The Corvette isn't great on visibility either. I don't hear or read about people complaining that it should be changed.
Exactly. Most supercars and lots of sports cars rear windows are like 1/4 the size of the camaro too. With WAY worse visibilty.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #48
ECStuned
Account Suspended

Drives: ECS tuned
Good visibility is going to make or break the 6th gen Camaro in my opinion.
It appears GM has already won the spec sheet and the new interior is amazing.
ECStuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #49
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
It's pretty much a given that the 6th gen. will sell like hotcakes after debuting late this year. The question is for how long. Will possible customers become fed up and stay away from the car in droves because of the...wait for it...Poor visibility of the side windows?

I'm a little tired of the "every supercar has poor visibility" (Lamborghini, etc.) argument.

How many Lamborghinis do you see on the road ? Camaro is a super car in it's own right, but is mass produced.

Is there any information available as to how many crashes involving Camaros were due to people not being able to see out of the car that well?
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #50
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
It's pretty much a given that the 6th gen. will sell like hotcakes after debuting late this year. The question is for how long. Will possible customers become fed up and stay away from the car in droves because of the...wait for it...Poor visibility of the side windows?

I'm a little tired of the "every supercar has poor visibility" (Lamborghini, etc.) argument.

How many Lamborghinis do you see on the road ? Camaro is a super car in it's own right, but is mass produced.

Is there any information available as to how many crashes involving Camaros were due to people not being able to see out of the car that well?
I have driven two 5th gens now with over 50,000 miles between them (28,000 in a Coupe and 26,000 in my Convertible) and not one time have I come close to having an accident due to visibility issues.... If you are aware of your blind spots and you drive accordingly then you will have no problems... That goes for every vehicle, not just Camaros. Hell my S10 pickup with a camper top had bigger blind spots than either of my Camaros have.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #51
Bongos2U

Evolutionary styling + poor visibility might result in Camaro burnout (and not the good type of burnout). I personally can't see anybody going to the dark side and buy a new Mustang because of this. The visibility looks poor on the new one as well, but probably not as severe as the Camaro.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #52
Bongos2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I have driven two 5th gens now with over 50,000 miles between them (28,000 in a Coupe and 26,000 in my Convertible) and not one time have I come close to having an accident due to visibility issues.... If you are aware of your blind spots and you drive accordingly then you will have no problems... That goes for every vehicle, not just Camaros. Hell my S10 pickup with a camper top had bigger blind spots than either of my Camaros have.
Thanks for the feedback !! I currently drive a 1997 S10 (Extended cab with ZQ8 suspension with camper top ) and have had zero issues with visibility also.

Also had a chance to briefly drive a 2010 SS a couple of years ago. Very impressed. Had no problems with visibility, but did wonder about how fun it would be to drive in adverse driving conditions (bad weather, having to make lane changes in heavy traffic).
Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #53
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
How can you expect people to be aware of their surroundings...