Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
You add the ZR1 MAP sensor and it tells the ECM when you are in boost which increases the PW to the pump. I have the BAP also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNYS2SS/RS View Post
I am at 665 rwhp with the ZL-1 fuel pump and the BAP off. Fuel pressure is perfect. I am also glad I installed an access door under the rear seat. If I ever have a problem or want to up grade my fuel pump it will only take 15 minutes.

OMG, I'm sooooooo doing it that way.

Assuming there is not structural weakening.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #30
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Sorry to confuse you. I have a BAP installed, but to be honest it may be turned off. Mike Norris did the install, and the BAP came with the whipple kit. I know it's in there but I don't know if it's doing anything. He also installed a ZL1 pump at my request. If you would like, shoot me a PM or give him a call. He told me that I have no fuel delivery issues with the setup, which was my concern. He said with my mods I already had, the stock pump would be questionable. It's also my understanding that when you I nstall the zl1 pump and a ZR1 map sensor it increases the pulse width on the pump under boost to increase the volume and pressure. Our cars do this already, but the stock MAP sensor doesn't have the range to allow for boost.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Sorry to confuse you. I have a BAP installed, but to be honest it may be turned off. Mike Norris did the install, and the BAP came with the whipple kit. I know it's in there but I don't know if it's doing anything. He also installed a ZL1 pump at my request. If you would like, shoot me a PM or give him a call. He told me that I have no fuel delivery issues with the setup, which was my concern. He said with my mods I already had, the stock pump would be questionable. It's also my understanding that when you I nstall the zl1 pump and a ZR1 map sensor it increases the pulse width on the pump under boost to increase the volume and pressure. Our cars do this already, but the stock MAP sensor doesn't have the range to allow for boost.

I do have a ZR1 MAP sensor but need to get a ZL1 fuel pump.

So have we figured out wether the ZL1 pump needs to be tuned for?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
NWSleeper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
If I read everyones comments correctly, sounds like adding the ZL1 pump can be done as a plug and go with no retune required. If you replace the stock MAP (which the maggie install re-uses) with a ZR1 MAP you would have to retune to take advantage of the new 3bar MAP sensor.

Correct?

By the way, thanks for all of the input. Pieces of this discussion has appeared in other areas but I appreciate the info you guys are providing, especially how well the changes appear to be working.
NWSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSleeper View Post
If I read everyones comments correctly, sounds like adding the ZL1 pump can be done as a plug and go with no retune required. If you replace the stock MAP (which the maggie install re-uses) with a ZR1 MAP you would have to retune to take advantage of the new 3bar MAP sensor.

Correct?

By the way, thanks for all of the input. Pieces of this discussion has appeared in other areas but I appreciate the info you guys are providing, especially how well the changes appear to be working.
You are correct.

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #34
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
They do have to adjust the MAP scale in the tune for the ZR1 MAP sensor.

American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
They do have to adjust the MAP scale in the tune for the ZR1 MAP sensor.

Ok. But if mine has already been tuned with the ZR1 MAP sensor I can now just plug and play with a ZL1 pump correct?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #36
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Ok. But if mine has already been tuned with the ZR1 MAP sensor I can now just plug and play with a ZL1 pump correct?
Yep!
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #37
LyonsViper27

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS - JRE 415
What did you use to cut the tank access with?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #38
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
ok I am lost....since I am not a learned as you gys. So let me : " you are saying with a zl1 map sensor and pump....u can run how much boost in that motor max, ...and with what injectors. Please clarify this for me. again I am not really to keen on it it.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #39
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
ok I am lost....since I am not a learned as you gys. So let me : " you are saying with a zl1 map sensor and pump....u can run how much boost in that motor max, ...and with what injectors. Please clarify this for me. again I am not really to keen on it it.
Well I am running a ZR1 (LS9) MAP sensor.

It's a 3 Bar sensor. Meaning it can be tuned for higher boost.

If I'm not mistaken a 'Bar' is 1 atmosphere at sea level. (14psi-ish) So a 3 Bar sensor can be tuned for boost levels two times the barrometric pressure. or up to 28 psi??? (The atmospheric bar or 'Barrometric Pressure' being one bar and the two bars of boost)

I bet I got that totally wrong. LOL

Last edited by PQ; 10-20-2012 at 02:37 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #40
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Thanks so much for the pics Manny.... If I have to do anything else with the pump I am going to cut that hole. It looks so much easier and no one will ever see under the seat or even know its there but you.

Very very nice
Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #41
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
Thanks so much for the pics Manny.... If I have to do anything else with the pump I am going to cut that hole. It looks so much easier and no one will ever see under the seat or even know its there but you.

Very very nice
Angel your welcome, if you ever decide Pm me and I will give you messurements and some more Pic's.

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
I dont understand why they wouldnt make an access to the fuel pump from the factory. I never thought about putting in an access, this might have to happen when I change my pump.