Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #15
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
Anyway, from what we know (educated guessing) it seems that the two cars would be very evenly matched, but I have to question how they came up with the 524 HP number. There is no way that only a cam, tune, and exhaust would provide a 100 HP bump over a stock SS. Maybe 50 HP (for a grand total of 476 HP), but not 100 HP unless there are a lot more go fast parts going on the SSX that haven't been disclosed yet.
I will tell you from my own experiance that it is very easily possible! Here is my mod list (notice I dont have a cam yet or new heads):

SW 2" LT
SW 3" extreme exhaust system
rotofab intake
nick williams 102 mm TB
Fast LSXr intake manifold
Fast fuel rails
And an amazing tune done by Haddad Motorsports

My dynno came up just shy of 450rwhp. That is over an 80rwhp gain over my stock system that came in at around 360rwhp. Imagine now the gains I could see when I open up my heads a little more and throw in a cam that compliments what I already have! I would say 524 is doable off that!
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 AM   #16
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Maybe I'm missing something here, but is there a racing series for everyday guys to race the SSX? I can't imagine that there is a very large group of people standing in line to drop over $50K on a new racecar unless there is a series that they can race in and possibly make some money back. From my experience with racing, sooner than later, a race car will be tore up in one way or another. Other than that, how many people are going to a track in their spare time with a new SSX? That's an awful expensive toy! Not that I'm opposed to it BTW!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #17
thebrander
931HP w/100K mi warranty!

Drives: C6Z06 & Gen 5 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
Agreed. N/A is definitely the way to go for a track car! Also, less parts to break and less stuff to go wrong.
BTW, your car = badassness my friend.
thebrander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #18
thebrander
931HP w/100K mi warranty!

Drives: C6Z06 & Gen 5 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, but is there a racing series for everyday guys to race the SSX? I can't imagine that there is a very large group of people standing in line to drop over $50K on a new racecar unless there is a series that they can race in and possibly make some money back. From my experience with racing, sooner than later, a race car will be tore up in one way or another. Other than that, how many people are going to a track in their spare time with a new SSX? That's an awful expensive toy! Not that I'm opposed to it BTW!
You might be surprised how many will sell. HPDE's are becoming very popular these days and people are tearing up their daily drivers. I am seriously considering one. I don't plan to race competitively, just want a track day toy that will spare my daily driver. I will likely save money going that route. Just to give you an example scenario that I'm personally considering (assuming the wife will give me approval ): We have a Z06 and an SS. We daily drive both and track both. One scenario would be to convert one of the cars to an "X" and just share it at the track. The IDEAL scenario would be to convert the Z06 to a Z06X and then trade the SS in for a Z28!

We'll probably see more people converting paid off Z06's and SS's than buying brand new X's. Although someone buying a new X is the same type of person that buys a Viper ACR or ACRX. So they do exist.
thebrander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
Dan@showstopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I think the key to the SSX is to make it street legal like the Boss Leguna Seca and Viper ACR.
Dan@showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
First - I HOPE they make it!!! I think it would be great for CAMARO's name, and great for our community. I whole-heartedly believe we need to at least match most if not all, the competitor's offerings (to a really general degree) and show CAMARO is every bit as competitive and that is has support to match. I know I'm loving seeing the continued support and enthusiasm and that GM is keeping the car fresh and relavent. I didn't really have confidence because of the whole $$$-thing, but I'm glad I'm wrong. I think they're seeing a trend with sales and hope it continues at least as strong as it is now.

Onto the comparison - I just don't get the impression, going off of what I've read about the CF parts that were replaced, and what was removed otherwise, that there would be as great an advantage as many seem to think. I don't think it's my bias, but the panels that are being replaced, while many, don't amount to enough to offset the weight of the chassis and monoque. It'd help to get some figured to bare this out, and I'd be happy to be wrong because I think these changes are definately things our Community can latch onto to make their cars perform better. If Z is getting most of what I think it's going to be getting, and both cars are on the same rubber, I think it's going to be very close. I'd rather have Z, still, because I won't want a race car - I want a fast street car that I can have a whole lot of fun with on the track and cruise comfortably on the street. I don't really think they're going to get 520+ horse that's emissions-legal out of a 6.2 is going to happen without DI and some other magic.

I hope I'm wrong I definately want to see this car, these parts, and the enthusiasm continue to grow

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #21
tweeter81

Drives: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
I agree with you to an extent. Owners of the Viper ACR-x have their very own spec racing series, which would be very cool with the SSX as well.

It is a good question to wonder who, or how many people will be willing (or affluent enough) to drop big money like $50K+ on a racecar toy.

2004 CTS-V
Mods: CAI, Spoiler, SW Heat Extractor Hood, PC'ed CCW SP600 wheels (19"x9" and 19"x10"), Toyo R888 (F: 235/35ZR19 - R: 295/30ZR19), Magnaflow Cat-back, UUC Shifter w/ bushings, Ground Control Coilover Kit (750f/800r), FG2 shocks, Hotchkis Swaybars, Custom FRCs, Kooks 1 3/4" Coated LT Headers, ARP Header Studs, NGK TR55ix, SS Brake Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HP+ Pads, GForce Axles, Monster Stage 2 w/ 18 lb Flywheel, D.P.S.E. Dyno Tune = 351 hp/ 365 ft-lbs (corrected)
tweeter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
tweeter81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
I will tell you from my own experiance that it is very easily possible! Here is my mod list (notice I dont have a cam yet or new heads):

SW 2" LT
SW 3" extreme exhaust system
rotofab intake
nick williams 102 mm TB
Fast LSXr intake manifold
Fast fuel rails
And an amazing tune done by Haddad Motorsports

My dynno came up just shy of 450rwhp. That is over an 80rwhp gain over my stock system that came in at around 360rwhp. Imagine now the gains I could see when I open up my heads a little more and throw in a cam that compliments what I already have! I would say 524 is doable off that!
Those are some awesome gains for relatively cheap and easy bolt-ons, I am envious. My lowly LS6 doesn't get gains like that...:(

I would say remove the FAST goodies (fuel rails, intake) and remove the Nick Williams TB and you would be down about 25 HP, that would put you at a net gain of around 55 rwHP (65 crank HP) which falls somewhere in the middle of your actual gains and what I predicted. (this comparo is kindof lame though since you don't have a cam, so we are basically comparing apples and orange, but its fun anyway)

At any rate, we know that the car will have upgraded heads as well which will easily allow that 524 number to be attainable.

2004 CTS-V
Mods: CAI, Spoiler, SW Heat Extractor Hood, PC'ed CCW SP600 wheels (19"x9" and 19"x10"), Toyo R888 (F: 235/35ZR19 - R: 295/30ZR19), Magnaflow Cat-back, UUC Shifter w/ bushings, Ground Control Coilover Kit (750f/800r), FG2 shocks, Hotchkis Swaybars, Custom FRCs, Kooks 1 3/4" Coated LT Headers, ARP Header Studs, NGK TR55ix, SS Brake Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HP+ Pads, GForce Axles, Monster Stage 2 w/ 18 lb Flywheel, D.P.S.E. Dyno Tune = 351 hp/ 365 ft-lbs (corrected)
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
tweeter81

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrander View Post
BTW, your car = badassness my friend.
Thank you, sir! As much as I like my car, my true dream in a C6 Z06...but if I had one, it would be very hard for me not to turn it into a super-hardcore track car...

Quote:
You might be surprised how many will sell. HPDE's are becoming very popular these days and people are tearing up their daily drivers. I am seriously considering one. I don't plan to race competitively, just want a track day toy that will spare my daily driver. I will likely save money going that route. Just to give you an example scenario that I'm personally considering (assuming the wife will give me approval ): We have a Z06 and an SS. We daily drive both and track both. One scenario would be to convert one of the cars to an "X" and just share it at the track. The IDEAL scenario would be to convert the Z06 to a Z06X and then trade the SS in for a Z28!

I really like the way you think, brother! That is an excellent plan, and if I can swing the money in the next 4-5 years, that is exactly what I want to do as well. I am hoping that used C6s drastically lower in price once the C7s come out which would allow me to get into a nice low-mileage C6 Z06 (or maybe even a slightly modded one that already has some track goodies installed). My only other factor is that I don't think I can part with my CTS-V as it has been my first performance car and I have poured a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into making the way I want it...but, it's going to be really hard to come up with the money for two (2) other cars (toys) that I don't really need.

We'll probably see more people converting paid off Z06's and SS's than buying brand new X's. Although someone buying a new X is the same type of person that buys a Viper ACR or ACRX. So they do exist.
I totally agree with you on this last point as well, and I wish I was one of those people.

2004 CTS-V
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
FI is not for hard core track cars like the SSX. You just lose WAY too much power after several laps.
Is this due to heat build up under the hood?
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #25
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@showstopper View Post
I think the key to the SSX is to make it street legal like the Boss Leguna Seca and Viper ACR.
I don't see that happening. The SSX is a concept race car. Roll cage, no airbags.... Those two things there say it will never be street legal. You can't change the car's structure from the way it was approved in the govt required crash tests and sell it as a new motor vehicle.

It looks to be a showcase for how someone could build a race car.

There are some examples at SEMA of street legal performance concepts.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #26
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
The SSX car with roll cage and no airbags is in the concept form only. It doesn't mean GM can't add airbags and make the cage an option to make it street legal. If GM makes it the concept could easily cahnge quite a bit and still perform.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #27
tweeter81

The points above are all valid, but I have a question:

Why would the car automatically be non street-legal just because it has a roll cage installed? I am pretty sure that I have seen show cars or magazine cover cars that have cages and they are still street-legal.

Edit: I saw a post from Russel on the previous page, but I don't understand how adding a roll cage that will make the car even stronger, and more rigid than stock would be a detriment to crash safety. I would rather get in a crash in a car with a cage than without, if I had the choice.

Either way, I am hoping that this car will be OK for the street because I will never be able to justify having a car entirely just for the track (especially a brand new $50k-$60K one).

2004 CTS-V
Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #28
DoggyB22

Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28, 2016 Camaro SS
GM def needs to come out with a SSX or Z28X!

01' Camaro Z28
H/C/I & a 200 shot 450 rwhp & 420 lbtq NA. TBD on spray
16' Camaro SS
LME 416, cammed, high ram intake, ported LT1 heads, stalled. 600 rwhp 550 lbtq
DoggyB22 is offline   Reply With Quote