Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
cornfield camaro

Drives: 2011 l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Yes but if you keep looking around you will find that the KB is probably the worst setup for a new Camaro. I haven't seen a single person happy with them. All the other blowers/turbos are better options IMO.
I've got one on my 2011 L99 and i'm happy with it! 520 rwhp and no problems
I think everyone goes with what is Camaro5 approved which sometimes is a lot of BS.
I bought my car at 3500 miles on it with KB already on it. If I was going to install one on a car I just bought, sure I'd look at others but most guys on here aren't competing for the last .1 of a second.
Also I got sucked into the Camaro5 hype myself and installed a superchiller. (95 degree ambient and 65 coolant to the intercooler). works for me.
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Been there and got rid of that heat pump. You will not be happy when you realize you'll need a bigger heat exchanger or another type of cooler to keep temps down. Yes they look nice and make power but they will heat soak real fast and start to pull timing. I saw intake temps skyrocket when sitting in traffic. Also that mamouth intake blocks access to drivers side plugs. You will make more power from other systems with less weight and money. I went with ECS novi kit and couldn't be more happier. More power, cooler temps.
Also to answer your question about install. Yes I did mine in my garage and the hardest part was pinning the crank. Had to buy a 90 degree air drill.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Cant go wrong, with a super charger, thats like saying you dont want more power
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #18
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
+1
They don't talk about it out loud on here cause of all the fanboys but lots of Maggie owners are very disappointed in power output.
yup, even some people claim some fake numbers here but can't prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
And don't forget turbos if you want big power or just a sweet daily driver.
10000000000% agree, if I had a heavy car like a 5th gen I would do either the AGP tt kit or a whipple, I absolutely love ECS kits but unless I was a big stroker motor, auto, etc it just doesn't feel that great imo.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #19
TheMeat

Drives: 1973 Camaro
PD Blowers...the bastard child of FI on Camaro5.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #20
CamaroIOM12
Jim

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Been there and got rid of that heat pump. You will not be happy when you realize you'll need a bigger heat exchanger or another type of cooler to keep temps down. Yes they look nice and make power but they will heat soak real fast and start to pull timing. I saw intake temps skyrocket when sitting in traffic. Also that mamouth intake blocks access to drivers side plugs. You will make more power from other systems with less weight and money. I went with ECS novi kit and couldn't be more happier. More power, cooler temps.
Also to answer your question about install. Yes I did mine in my garage and the hardest part was pinning the crank. Had to buy a 90 degree air drill.
What unit are you talking about???
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #21
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Whipple all the way!! Real easy to install in your garage.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
I owned a 2.8L KB. Hated it. It's old tech, runs hot, and caused many tuning issues with it's giant inlet tube with automatic cars.

I went with a F1A Procharger on my new build. I'm a little over 900rwhp on 15lbs of boost
Old 07-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #23
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
Guess it comes down to how much power you want to make. Whipple will make you more power if you support it. My Maggie is putting down just over 530rwhp and around 515tq, that's more then enough to get me in trouble. I only drive it on the street and if the weather is nice, plus I got a really good deal on it. Just be honest with your self on what you want to do with that power and look into what other mods may be needed to support that power. It can get expensive really quick if you don't do your homework.
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #24
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroIOM12 View Post
What unit are you talking about???
KB 2.8lc like Mccdoogle said. Tuning was an issue with stock mamouth intake. But that's another.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #25
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
My car has a kenne bell, lucky enough mine already had it on when i bought the car. Got installed and tuned by the best well known kenne bell guy on the west coast (st motorsports)...he put a honeycomb fix inside the inlet tube which fixed the air turbulance. I also purchased a heat exchanger from a member on here to keep IATs down. Its been 4yrs and still running like a champ. And man does it look badass when you open the hood. Gets more attention than other supercharged cars at carshows.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #26
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
My car has a kenne bell, lucky enough mine already had it on when i bought the car. Got installed and tuned by the best well known kenne bell guy on the west coast (st motorsports)...he put a honeycomb fix inside the inlet tube which fixed the air turbulance. I also purchased a heat exchanger from a member on here to keep IATs down. Its been 4yrs and still running like a champ. And man does it look badass when you open the hood. Gets more attention than other supercharged cars at carshows.
Exactly the reason to avoid buying a KB. You will still need to throw money at it for a better heat exchanger.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #27
camarossdusk
whippled 5th gen

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
just installed whipple on my car over a month ago, love it can drive and race it with no issues, already want to add more boost, currently running around 11lbs of boost, it can get expensive, but worth it to me.
camarossdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #28
sick13ss1le

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs 1le
i have a kb on mine and enjoy it my tuner sucked but i made 550/514 at the wheels on a 93* day only issue i seem to have is i stretch belts fast even gates green line hd's are stretched within 2 weeks if im playing hard
sick13ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote