Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
It's pretty easy to get a sponge through the spokes to wash the inside of the wheel except for where the calipers are. Just roll the car forward or back to get the spot where the caliper was. Don't forget to wash behind the spokes.

Wheels off a couple times a year is a good idea.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Everytime I wash the car... who doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
I use a brush from the Harley dealer. Also use HD's "Hogblaster"- Great for removing stash water.
My dad uses S-100 on his bike and he claims its the best...It's worth a try!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I've been doing it for a while, and its well worth the effort.

Another "tip" I received from my Zaino distributor; get a bunch of the wooden stir stick used for stirring paint, wrap a rag around them, and they make cleaning the inner wheels much easier.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #18
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
Well, I feel much less like Monk now.

This is the reason I usually rotate my own tires. The inner portion of your wheels gather a lot of corrosives that can harm the finish. It doesn't take much time for them to become pitted and rough. Sometimes I have someone else rotate, but the first chance I get, I pull the wheels, then wash and wax.

Besides, I have a Car Wash Rule that says: Always wash EVERYTHING you can see.

Thanks for the tip on the detail brush.
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #19
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
I have the polished wheels and they look like hammered dog s*&t if I don't. The wheel wells get cleaned every time. I spend at minimum 30 minutes just on the wheels before I was the car.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
68blk/yel396

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
Anyone else wash the entire wheel to the back?? Tough to do but worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Everytime I wash the car... who doesn't?

Me Too !!!
68blk/yel396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
pikSkip

Drives: '69 VET, '70 Z28
I'll clean the entire wheel about twice a month. I can get my hands to 95% of the area and just move the car to get at the rest. I have to throw away the small towels after each cleaning (pitch black) I'll think I will polish the inside this weather (while stored from snow & salt) so the dirt, brake dust, etc., will come off easier. I am afraid of the brake dust screwing up the outside polished aluminum if left on too long.

2010 Black/Beige 2SS/RS A6 SRoof
(Cat-back SLP Loud Mouth II, CAI, Technostalgia Rapid Fire TL) CONO (Camaros of NW Ohio)
pikSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #22
Sher525
CAMAROLIOUS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I am alittle (okay alot) picky with my cars, to the point that I am the only one that is "allowed " to wash & wax them. I always wash the entire wheel (front to back) and trust me it looks so much better and OTHER people notice. Happened to be at a car cruise and another new camaro was there also, someone commented on how clean my wheels looked compared to the other camaro! Luckily I have smaller hands and can fit my hand in there with one of those car wash mits on.
Sher525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #23
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
Have to clean the ENTIRE rim inside and out!. Yes it gets noticed, and only takes a day or two befor the dust is already visible. Have used sponge and brush. Take wheels off 2 to 3 times a year to wash, detail and wax.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #24
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
Here's a link that would help alot in this area: http://www.properautocare.com/cowhtiwhwecl.html

Wow! That is Very detailed cleaning! Looks like they placed the front of the wheel down on the ground directly. I would NEVER do that!

Lots of stuff to learn/do from that page. Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #25
CarCareDepot

Drives: 09 Vette
I take my wheels off twice a year, and dust them in between. If/When you have them off be sure to coat them with a Wheel Sealant. It'll keep the cleanup to a minimum.
CarCareDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #26
robrr2000

Drives: Yellow 1SS/RS
What I have always used for my wheels..

$3.99 and works like a charm.
robrr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #27
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
yes...

they are painted rims...so the poster using the toilet bowl brush is on his way to a crappy looking finish.

Here's the brush that I use for the inside of the wheel...

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote