Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #57
jimmys525

Drives: None
Sorry you've had bad experiences with the camry. My parents have both bought new camrys and have over 50,000 miles on each one and both are running perfect
jimmys525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #58
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmys525 View Post
Yeah I understand not getting the dream car as the first one.
My parents just don't really trust any cars besides the camry.
I hope that they put you in one that's safe. It would be a shame for you to be in one of the millions* of recalled Toyotas built this year.

*millions—This is not an exaggeration.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #59
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Well i'm not an avearge kid i guess. My mom doesn't get around when i drive to school, exactly why my parents are buying me a car- besides, she's a stay home mom.
I guess you got straight a's on a schedule with all ap classes and spent an hour a day traveling to school and back? If you did then congratulations you deserve a good college and a good job.
Spelled "average," Mr. Straight A's.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #60
RS/SS
The wait is over!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS IOM
You don't need to convince them of anything. They are gifting you a car. As long as it gets you from point A to point B then be grateful and concentrate on school and don't worry about what you're driving.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #61
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
So, if I follow these quotes from you, I for some obvious reason come to the concusion that you contradicted yourself. First, you start by saying

Quote:
Thanks for all the points guys!
First of all i don't think i'm pampered and have been spoiled all my life...
During elementary school my parents sent me to a charter school for a few years and everyday i'd wait about 30-45 minutes for my dad to leave work and drive his beat up toyota camry that was about 15 years older than the newest model at that time.
And i drive my mom's 05 camry le to school everyday and haven't gotten any tickets, crashes, anything bad. I grew up living in an old/decent neighborhood but we've moved around atleast 2-3 times in one year and now we live in a gated community about 30 minutes away from my school. But i still manage to keep a 4.3+ gpa with all honors and ap classes.

Also, they're price matching whatever scholarships i get- if i get $1000 in scholarships they'll give me $1,000 cash.

I don't know what people think i would be pampered if my parents don't want to get me a used car because when they bought their first used cars they would break down on the highway or require maintenance constantly so they don't want me to go through all of it.
Lets see. You went to a charter school. You got rides from your father. You live in a gated community. I have never heard anyone getting a 4.3 GPA. 4.0 is the U.S. standard maximum GPA, and taking AP classese makes you no better than anyone else. Friends of mine have 4.0's and take AP's and guess what, they drive cheap, reliable used cars. Your parents will match what you get...and you state they dont want to get you a used car because theirs sucked. No, its because you are pampered.

Next, you make it further obvious that you need a reality check:

Quote:
Well i'm not an avearge kid i guess. My mom doesn't get around when i drive to school, exactly why my parents are buying me a car- besides, she's a stay home mom.
I guess you got straight a's on a schedule with all ap classes and spent an hour a day traveling to school and back? If you did then congratulations you deserve a good college and a good job.
You state your not average. Feel like you are above everyone eh?? Come back down to earth. And to whomever you replied that last part to, all I can say is HAHAHA!! He deserves a good college and a good job with your assumptions?? What about you!?!?!? You deserve a Camaro?? Maybe a pack of diapers with that too??

Ah, but it gets better...

Quote:
I guess you're contradicting yourself about saying its easy to get grades and then saying college isn't is school? If highschool doesn't mean anything, then how do colleges figure out if you're their type of student that should attend their school. Are the sat scores not important?
But anyways i digress, so does your posts. Please refrain from using bad language and please read my original question for this post.
And by the way i have my own job where i make more money than my friends per each hour but my parents want me to concentrate on my school work rather than working.
You make money than your friends per hour. HAHA Dont believe it for one minute.

My first car was a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva. Twin cam 2.4, PL, PW, AT, and more. I loved it. Washed it once a week if I could, waxed it once every month or so, kept up on maintainance. Then the young driver came out. My foot became lead, and immaturity stood out like a green thumb. Hell, I even jumped the car down a side road in my town, 3 times, with a few seconds of air time!!

Then came the day it crappewd out on me. Is it possible that it was my fault? Yes. Is is possible that my motor was just a ticking time bomb to begin with? Yes. I now have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500hd. And I must say, I have learned my lesson. I dont jump it, or beat the crap out of it. I change my oil every 3000 miles, and have even gone through with my own undercoat, new fluids in my front and rear diffs and t-case.

To make a long story short and to get to my point:

Having a older age used car as your first car is one of the best things that can happen. You will beat the crap out of it, but you will take care of it. And when the time comes to replace it, your mentallity will change. Your respect for cars will change. Having a new car will not let you experience that fun.

Also, its time for a reality check. Being pampered doesn't let you realize that nothing in life is just plopped right in your hands. And when you go to college, or get a place of your own, you will come back down to earth and realize that you must work for your life, and for a living. Mommy and daddy wont be there to give you a car, or money, etc. You yourself will have to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #62
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Quote:
Yeah I understand not getting the dream car as the first one.
My parents just don't really trust any cars besides the camry.
Any car can be a great car, and any car can be a lemon. Biggest P.O.S. car we ever had: 1995 Camry LE - after about 75,000 miles it drank a quart of oil every couple of days, then finally just quit...period. I should probably comment that we bought it used at about 65,000 miles...who know what it went through in its former life...we bought it based on the Camry's reputation (won't make that mistake again). My '87 Camaro had 110,000 miles on it when I traded it, and the only real problems it ever had was a bad water pump and mass air flow sensor...and it went to the dragstrip every other weekend for the last 1 1/2 years I owned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
Spelled "average," Mr. Straight A's.
Could we avoid the personal attacks please? I understand the author of this thread is starting to get a little defensive, but can you blame him when over half the posters are basically telling him he doesn't deserve a new Camaro? For crying out loud...the guys parents are apparently going to get him a car, no matter what anyone on this board thinks...get over it....he just wants some tips to help point out the reasons to get a Camaro over a Camry. Not every kid who gets a new car is a spoiled brat....I got a new car at 16, paid my own insurance, and appreciated the HELL out of it. And to be completely honest....I probably drove more carefully BECAUSE I was in a "cop magnet."

I agree that making good grades and having a 4.3 GPA (yes it is possible with honors/AP classes) does not make a person responsible. However, it does typically indicate that a person is grounded and understands the consequences of making bad decisions. Then again, I've known some pretty stupid geniuses. Again....not our place to judge this particular guy. That's between him and his parents. If he gets a new car and trashes it....bet that's the only time his parents make THAT mistake. As my buddy Vince would say.."Y'all stop hatin' "

Heck...if we win the lottery this weekend, we'll buy all three of our boys brand new cars. (No v8's though....our boys have enough tickets with a Cobalt and a Tiburon...LOL!!!!)

Last edited by acatlover13; 11-04-2009 at 08:15 PM.
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #63
Achenar

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Black/Black LS3
Quote:
Sorry you've had bad experiences with the camry. My parents have both bought new camrys and have over 50,000 miles on each one and both are running perfect
I agree with your parents decision to stick with a car they trust, however, the Camry shouldn't be it. Toyota's quality has been falling substantially in recent years and they were never as reliable as Honda's to begin with. 50,000 miles is nothing, my 95 civic has 218,000 miles on it and it probably runs better than half of cars on the road.

If your parents want you to have a low power, reliable, safe car, buy a civic. More powerful imports get finicky with very precise tolerances and delicate parts, so they have a tendency to not do as well over time, the 200ish hp v6 Camrys especially have had transmission issues over the years, like wise with the 98 v6 accords. If you want a higher horsepower car (over 200), I suggest you buy American, but you already knew that
Achenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #64
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Quote:
I guess you're contradicting yourself about saying its easy to get grades and then saying college isn't is school? If highschool doesn't mean anything, then how do colleges figure out if you're their type of student that should attend their school. Are the sat scores not important?
But anyways i digress, so does your posts. Please refrain from using bad language and please read my original question for this post.
And by the way i have my own job where i make more money than my friends per each hour but my parents want me to concentrate on my school work rather than working.
I've been in your shoes. High school grades are NOT a measurement of accomplishment. There is no level of accreditation. You can graduate with a 2.0 and still go to a great college.

College grades matter to a point, but once you get out of college, it's rare for your GPA to be asked.

Why would your parents want you to concentrate just on grades? Can you not handle the load (I thought you said you could)?

And no, my parents did not give me my first car. I bought it with my $$ and it is/was a pretty cool little 2 door chevy

But I do think it's kinda messed up, you are going to make your parents drive a used car, while you drive a new car.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #65
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
218,000 on your Civic? My '87 Camry had 394,000 on the odometer when she died a tragic death.

My own thoughts: There is something to what other folks have been saying about your first car. Unless you've spent your childhood in a garage, you're not going to take care of one the way you will ten years from now. Even with the best of intentions you won't, because there'll be the things you know and remember to do....but there'll also be the things you don't know about or don't remember to do. You'll get her in scrapes, minor collisions, have her accidentally or deliberately abused by your so-called friends, etc.

With all this in mind, I'd recommend that your first owned vehicle be a used one, whatever it happens to be. You may've had some easily broken ones in the past, but if you can find a reputable used car dealer, there are plenty of cars you can find that can and will last forever.

But if your parents have decided they are going to buy you a new one, then you're going to get a new one. If the prices are comparable, look for practical reasons, like a slightly lower price, better financing if you can get it, safety features, etc. Be honest, though...tell them you just think you'd have a better experience with the Camaro. It's your ride, and you want to be happy with it.

And if you still end up the Camry...don't worry, you'll most likely come to adore it. Most people have a soft spot in their heart for their first ride, and if it stays with you as long as mine did, I can guarantee you will too. There's something very nice about it being 'yours', ya' know?
Captain Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #66
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatlover13 View Post
can you blame him when over half the posters are basically telling him he doesn't deserve a new Camaro? For crying out loud...the guys parents are apparently going to get him a car, no matter what anyone on this board thinks...get over it....he just wants some tips to help point out the reasons to get a Camaro over a Camry. Not every kid who gets a new car is a spoiled brat....I got a new car at 16, paid my own insurance, and appreciated the HELL out of it. And to be completely honest....I probably drove more carefully BECAUSE I was in a "cop magnet."
I think the issue here is that if he was truly responsible, he would insist to his parents that buying a brand new camaro is a little ridiculous for a first car.

What the hell happened to some modesty?

Regardless, the dudes gonna be rocking a Camry, I see it already
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #67
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

I spoke to a man about a week ago, who had a black 2010 Camaro as his screen saver, and he ran out to look at mine when I pulled up to the store. Then we talked, and he told me he bought the car (a 2SS/RS) for his 16-yr old daughter. When I expressed my surprise about giving that much horsepower to a 16-yr old, he got very defensive and said "It's just a car...what's the big deal?"

Just goes to show you that sometimes parents can be delusional too.......

There's a reason insurance rates are higher for people under 25. Think about it.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #68
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Toyota: Moving forward...even when you don't want them to.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=8990979

That reason alone should stop you from wanting a piece of crap camry.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #69
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
buying a brand new camaro is a little ridiculous for a first car.
Ummmm..why is buying a brand new Camaro any more ridiculous than a brand new Camry/Accord/Volkswagen/Hyundai, etc? A brand new car is a brand new car in that aspect. Most of us on this board (including me) are Camaro and/or muscle car enthusiasts, and I think there may be a pride issue here. It sounds like many of you think you have to EARN a car like a Camaro...is that it?

Yes, yes...I get it!!!! We've all been waiting years for this car to come back, and this guy wants to get one as his very first car?????? What is he thinking? Only us OLD geezers should have this fine piece of machinery.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #70
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
What the hell happened to some modesty?
Nothing immodest about wanting a cool ride, no matter what age you are. I think some of the posters on this thread are being a little silly, honestly. I knew plenty of people with sports cars in high school, and they usually weren't the ones roaring down rural highways on full moon nights racing their friends at 80 mph.

That was me. In my Toyota Camry.
Captain Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote