Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #729
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
the original Z28 in 1967 to 69 was designed for Trans AM racing so it was superior to the SS ,better handeling due to upgraded suspension , lighter with a 302 small block , and it even had disc brakes in the front with 4 wheel discs available as a obtion . It was basically a RACE CAR FOR THE STREETS, a friend of mine owns a original and let me tell you that they are very expensive collector cars now.http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...camaro-z28.htm click on the links to learn more http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1967-1...amaro-z-28.htm

Last edited by gladiatoro; 09-18-2008 at 01:54 PM.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #730
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
Just food for thought here, and I very well may be wrong and I know I'll probably offend some people here, but wasn't the 4th gen SS better than the Z28 in performance? Don't get me wrong here, I love the Z28, and I own one so I'm by no means knocking on it, but as I recall didn't the SS have 315 HP and the Z28 305? I heard something about the Z28 actually having much more than that, and I know the chassis code is Z27 for the SS which would make the Z28 higher. But, in the event that the SS was superior what makes you think that the 5th gen will be different? Again this is food for thought, not a declaration of war lol. Try to be understanding if I'm incorrect ; ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
the Z28 in 1969 was designed for Trans AM racing so it was superior to the SS ,better handeling due to upgraded suspension , lighter with a 302 small block , and it even had disc brakes in the front. It was basically a race car for the streets, a friend of mine owns a original and let me tell you that they are very expensive collector cars now.http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...camaro-z28.htm click on the link to learn more
And these 3 statements form the basis for the 5th gen SS vs Z28 debate
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #731
gladiatoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And these 3 statements form the basis for the 5th gen SS vs Z28 debate
because the z28 was ORIGINALLY superior to the SS , get it and that's how it is now first comes the 2010 SS and if we are lucky then the top dog Z28 in 2011 or 2012
Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #732
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ah, I see. So it was the original Z28 that was superior to the SS, not neccessarily the 4th gen? Well, we'll see if they stick to they're end of the deal with the whole, "faithful representation of the '69," if they truly do, then they should stick with the fact that the Z28 was superior. Otherwise, if they go by the way the times have changed the legacy to the name, then we may just as well be looking at another superior SS which is a bit unsettling...
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #733
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
You know what some of you people just don't understand...Be happy that they even brought the car back!!! Be happy you can even own the SS for goodneSS sake! How can you not be satisfied with a 422/408 hp/tq BEAST SuperSport model?! Buy your own supercharger! Just upgrade/modify it to a Z/28 to your own personal liking man. Better yet don't buy the new CaMaRo at all. And just keep whining and waiting for a prescious Z/28!(1 which may never even come out!) I'm not tryin to be mean to anybody, just speakin realistically. Speaking my mind. Sorry.
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #734
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
because the z28 was ORIGINALLY superior to the SS , get it and that's how it is now first comes the 2010 SS and if we are lucky then the top dog Z28 in 2011 or 2012
That statement is debateable. it depends on what you are looking for in Superior... if you were looking for a drag car, the SS was superior, if you were looking for a road racer the Z/28 was superior.. Superior is a relative term here... But the New SS would run circles around any previous Camaro. SS OR Z/28... So it is going to be Superior to ANY previous Camaro....
Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #735
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm not really complaining dude, I'm just saying that it's a bit unlikely for the Z28 not to return. It just has too much of a legacy to calmly die in the 4th gen that's all we're saying. I'm still going to buy a SS and LOVE it, and I still LOVE the new Camaro, and I'm happy they brought it back. We're just stating that we want a Z28, I mean some folks are going as far to say as they won't buy one because of it, but those of us that are sane are saying that we would like one, that's all.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #736
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
you know what F it. I wasn't going to post but here's what I had to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR View Post
You know what some of you people just don't understand...Be happy that they even brought the car back!!! Be happy you can even own the SS for goodneSS sake! How can you not be satisfied with a 422/408 hp/tq BEAST SuperSport model?! Buy your own supercharger! Just upgrade/modify it to a Z/28 to your own personal liking man. Better yet don't buy the new CaMaRo at all. And just keep whining and waiting for a prescious Z/28!(1 which may never even come out!) I'm not tryin to be mean to anybody, just speakin realistically. Speaking my mind. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
Enough said.
Newbies. . .

This stupid thought line is a rehash over everything that's already been said. Read the Freakin thread.

These types of posts drive a rift between members and push people, that would share in your enthusiasm about the car (SS) you're getting, away. And it makes me thankful that I won't be able to check this forum, for a long time, after next week. I don't enjoy seeing and having people tell me and others what we should and should not want. Especially after I shared in their enthusiasm over what they wanted.

Jixer- If you want a poser Z28 go right on ahead. but I highly doubt you even know what the heritage is behind the Z28. you probably think it's more power and that's why you want to make it. I don't care but understand that it's just a poser and if i see one at a car show I will personally laugh at the owner if he doesn't know the true heritage behind the Z. so you better do it right instead of just slap a supercharger on it.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #737
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Just food for thought here, and I very well may be wrong and I know I'll probably offend some people here, but wasn't the 4th gen SS better than the Z28 in performance? Don't get me wrong here, I love the Z28, and I own one so I'm by no means knocking on it, but as I recall didn't the SS have 315 HP and the Z28 305? I heard something about the Z28 actually having much more than that, and I know the chassis code is Z27 for the SS which would make the Z28 higher. But, in the event that the SS was superior what makes you think that the 5th gen will be different? Again this is food for thought, not a declaration of war lol. Try to be understanding if I'm incorrect ; ).
Both cars really made about the same power. Unless I'm mistaken, the biggest divergence in power, from the factory, was the SS had a little larger pipes for the catback - everything else was the same. The hood fed cold air to the front of the air cleaner, but it's debatable that it really functioned well as equipped from the factory. The box was not really completely sealed to the hood therefore not all of the air the hood was collecting was being pushed into the intake. Additionally, there was some skepticism that the long route the air took from the hood scoop to the actual air cleaner flange may have introduced more heat into the air because of how long the air had to travel in a hood that was either subjected to the heat of the sun or the heat of the engine - or both. I've gathered it's debatable, performance benefit-wise even though I wouldn't argue it looked a lot better than Z28's hood. So, to answer your question - there was not really a difference in power from the factory (in fact, F-bodies probably made closer to 340-350 horsepower rather than what they were rated at. FWIW, I've seen many cars put 300+ horse at the tire and typically, there is about something like a 10-20% loss of power through the drivetrain, so... Now it gets different when the car goes to SLP but I won't get into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
That statement is debateable. it depends on what you are looking for in Superior... if you were looking for a drag car, the SS was superior, if you were looking for a road racer the Z/28 was superior.. Superior is a relative term here... But the New SS would run circles around any previous Camaro. SS OR Z/28... So it is going to be Superior to ANY previous Camaro....
This car is going to be way more advanced, in terms of power, handling, quality, ergonimics, and a bunch more. I'm so excited

Quote:
I'm not really complaining dude, I'm just saying that it's a bit unlikely for the Z28 not to return. It just has too much of a legacy to calmly die in the 4th gen that's all we're saying. I'm still going to buy a SS and LOVE it, and I still LOVE the new Camaro, and I'm happy they brought it back. We're just stating that we want a Z28, I mean some folks are going as far to say as they won't buy one because of it, but those of us that are sane are saying that we would like one, that's all.
It's already been stated that it's not dead so those of us who are waiting are just going to have to be patient

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #738
gladiatoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
of course the new SS will run circles around a 1969 Z 28 duhhh , it's called technology , that was 40 years ago but that's not the point the point is that the ORIGINAL Z 28 in 67 to 69 was SUPERIOR to the SS at that time like I said and I will say it again the Z28 WAS A RACE CAR FOR THE STREETS the SS was merely a straight line shooter.

Last edited by gladiatoro; 09-18-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #739
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
the z/28 was merely the production requirement to have the 302 engined camaro in trans am racing to begin with.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #740
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR View Post

I'm not going to state what has already been said by others. But I will say that those of us championing the return of the Z28 Don't want to be degraded for it. If you are happy with the SS and couldn't care less about the Z28, You may want to stay out of this thread... Or read it in it's entirety...

I leave it to you.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #741
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Guys for the love of god. Stop the madness. I have seen more that a hand full of threads all saying the same thing this one does. Example: I want the Z28 back, why can’t they make my pony killer; I want the top dog camaro. Then you have these People: Shut the hell up about the Z28, Be happy you are getting the camaro back, if you want a Z28 then get the SS and do some mods. So fourth and so on. Guys stop the constant bickering over a damn car. I am 29 years old and want a Z28 as well, but I am not joining in a club that acts like a bunch of children in per K school. My god people. Every time I log on to this forum I feel like I am listening to a radio dramatization of “days of our lives “. I hate you; you hate me this is a dysfunctional family. With a fist to the face and a foot in the ass, won’t you say I hat you to? I mean hell guys, the way some of you go at it I would think you are letting steam out while having a lovers quarrel over the forum. But then again don’t ask don’t tell. So if this does not sink in them I guess you are just too hard headed for the norm in society.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #742
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
Guys for the love of god. Stop the madness. I have seen more that a hand full of threads all saying the same thing this one does. Example: I want the Z28 back, why can’t they make my pony killer; I want the top dog camaro. Then you have these People: Shut the hell up about the Z28, Be happy you are getting the camaro back, if you want a Z28 then get the SS and do some mods. So fourth and so on. Guys stop the constant bickering over a damn car. I am 29 years old and want a Z28 as well, but I am not joining in a club that acts like a bunch of children in per K school. My god people. Every time I log on to this forum I feel like I am listening to a radio dramatization of “days of our lives “. I hate you; you hate me this is a dysfunctional family. With a fist to the face and a foot in the ass, won’t you say I hat you to? I mean hell guys, the way some of you go at it I would think you are letting steam out while having a lovers quarrel over the forum. But then again don’t ask don’t tell. So if this does not sink in them I guess you are just too hard headed for the norm in society.
That was a lot to say. Take a breather...

Ground rules for thie thread:

NOBODY is wrong.

So respect each other's opinions and desires. There's an emotional attachment to the Z28 that is incomprehensible to some. And then, there's the cold, hard logic that says a SS with mods is not much different than a Z28 besides a waranty. That argument also holds water. So don't fight over it, please.

I'll be watching further posts very carefully. There's no reason to get nasty -- and if someone does, the post gets deleted...simple as that.