Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
speed racer
Speed Racer

Drives: 2010 SuperCharged SS/RS
L99 sounds like it is in to high of gear, then BAM it take off like a bat out of HEll

When my L99 is Cold or not totally warmed up.I will be shifting with my paddle shifters from 2nd to 3rd and sometime 3rd to 4th not giving it much gas, due to being in the neighborhood. It kind of feels and sounds like I'm in to high of a gear and it boggs down with little power. Then as I slowly start to push down on the gas pedal, it sounds even worse like I need to down shift. Then as I am slowly push more on the gas peddle, it suddenly takes off like a bat out of hell.INSTANT POWER !

It will do this many times, until it is totaly warmed up for a while...It even does it when I'm down shifting and then coasting for a while. Like when I'm not needing to push down on the gas pedal to slow down with the slowing traffic in front of me. Then as traffic slowly speeds up, I will give it a little gas and it sound like it is bogging down again, like I need to down shift it, so I push a little bit more on the gas peddle, then Bam it is like a Turbo just kicked in and I have instant power..Without any down shift..

What the hell is wrong with my L99.I took it to the dealer and they could not see any issue.. They must be High !! Help Guys
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Most probably the DOD. When you're in cruise or coasting down, the car will drop 4 cylinders to conserve gas. When you push the pedal down, it will engage the dropped 4 and give you full power again. If you want to get rid of it, you'll have to put a tune on it that turns if off.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I don't want to come off like a jerk, but if you give it more gas and it goes like a bat out of hell then just give it more gas.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Just floor it.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The factory calibration is aimed at mpgs not performance.

If I had an L99, I'd use one of the tuners that can do transmission tuning. One of my friends has a A6, after an exhaust,CAI, and tuning, it is a different car and very enjoyable to drive now. Need to kill that AFM, some of the torque management, and also the issue of it going to the 87 octane table can cause a hesitation.

There are a few tuning devices out there that can do trans tuning, and still return the cal to stock if needed. Maybe post a comment in the tuning section, and you will get some good help there.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Sounds like your converter locking and unlocking.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Most probably the DOD. When you're in cruise or coasting down, the car will drop 4 cylinders to conserve gas. When you push the pedal down, it will engage the dropped 4 and give you full power again. If you want to get rid of it, you'll have to put a tune on it that turns if off.

That's It... There is nothing wrong with your car.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Just floor it.
Bad Idea .. Why not just put a on and off switch on your gas peddle then .. It's all or nothing .. spank that bad boy
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
ClutchKargo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
It's definately the DOD on your car. I have a Solo Mach XL and it much more noticeable with an aftermarket exhaust.

It is extremely irritating that GM would allow the car to go into 4 cylinder mode at such slow speeds. My car will drop to 4 cylinders at 20 MPH or even less, just soon as it hits like 4 gear or higher and you let off on the gas it will drop to 4 cyl and then when I press on the gas pedal and I'll hear a pronounced BAM come out of the exhaust as it kicks back into 8 cylinders.

GM if you are reading this fix this issue.

Quick solution just turn off DOD in "S" mode on the transmission.

Yeah I know it will stop if I paddle shift but I don't always want to do that (and it will sometimes still drop to 4 even when paddle shifting), this is really my only gripe on an otherwise fantastic car.

Rant over................

Clutch
ClutchKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #10
taz
Taz

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
Yep, my L99 auto did exactly the same thing. Its the AFM and only way to get rid of it unfortunately is a tune. Once the tune was done with some other things, I get instant reaction since the car stays running in all eight cylinders. I was afraid of doing this due to voiding the warrently, but after I did the tune, I feel I made the right choice. Now my problem is to keep from spinning the tires since they cost so much.
Taz
taz is offline   Reply With Quote