Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
DIY: LED Strip Sidemarkers

I got 2 amber and 2 red 40 LED flexible array strips from Radiantz.com

Splitting the sidemarkers apart was challenging. I started prying at the tab on the front of the lens. Then ran a sharp utility knife along the edge. A 10 min 200 degree oven did help soften the plastic and made it less prone to the lens cracking.

Double sided tape on the LED Strip.

LED strip in position.

Glued back up and installed.

I still need to paint the lens white. I will leave a 1/8 inch slot unpainted for the LED strip to shine through.

Repeat this 3 more times... I paid $131 for all four LED strips. Alot less then the 2 companies that make these.

NEXT UP I WILL INSTALL A 50 LED STRIP IN THE MIRRORS.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Last edited by Mach; 10-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Daily Driver

Drives: Silver Bullet
Nice work !
Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
I think you might have convinced me of a DIY for this winter Way cheaper than aftermarket and you get that pride of doing it yourself! Post pics when you get them painted too!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Cool write-up but our sidemarkers are only $199 for all 4 and as seen HERE and you do not need to spend hours cutting up your sidemarkers and you keep your old sidemarkers after you install which cost $40/ each from Chevrolet so when its all said and done this DIY mod costs you more than buying sidemarkers from AAC... but to each his own I guess

It took me 15 mins per sidemarker. I don't really have a need to keep my old markers. So overall this DIY is still 70 dollars less. But hey to each his own.

Plus its much more rewarding knowing you did something by yourself.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
tobalt

Drives: IBM L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
It took me 15 mins per sidemarker. I don't really have a need to keep my old markers. So overall this DIY is still 70 dollars less. But hey to each his own.

Plus its much more rewarding knowing you did something by yourself.
I have Showstopper's LED Sidemarkers, but this looks great too! Awesome DIY! You should definitely post this over in the DIY section!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Its all good, not knocking,

Next time you decide to do one of these DIY projects get your LEDs from us, we have MUCH brighter LEDs at better prices than the other guys you mentioned

I actually want to dim these a little because they are so bright!!

PLUS, your strips are wayyyy more expensive and I get the length I need from Radiantz

Radiantz LED's are really high quality. They are MADE IN THE USA!

In fact your Dual Intensity Circuit LED controller is from Radiantz. They make it and they charge 4.99 and you charge 14.99. SHAME ON YOU FOR RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!!!!

Last edited by Mach; 10-20-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Awesome DIY! What Length are the LED strips?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

And how did u seal the wires through the socket hole on the back?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LS3 View Post
Awesome DIY! What Length are the LED strips?
40 led strips. These are the 1mm spacing strips. I got the same length for all 4. But the back ones can fit 45 led strips, as the back sidemarkers are slightly longer.

Quote:
And how did u seal the wires through the socket hole on the back?
Didn't have to. I ripped off the metal tabs off the stock blub and wedged the led wires with the blub into the socket. I will get a blank 192 socket eventually and do it the right way.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Awesome. Thanks I might try this just for the fun of it on someones car.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Mach

I got more pics on the DIY thread here...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177650

Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Are these the LEDs on Radiants site that come in a plastic tube?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Mach

Quote:
Are these the LEDs on Radiants site that come in a plastic tube?

Yes.. They are called Flexible Light Array.. the 1mm spacing ones.. Just took them out of the tube.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Ok, the ones in your pics didn't look like they had a tube over them. Kinda though me for a loop. Great write up and they look awesome. I'm gonna try this with my stock side markers but maybe use carbon fiber vinyl instead of paint.