Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #267
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Which is by no means a bad thing. The G8 was always the car I consider should be the one to look at as far as pricing reference. It's the same chassis and it has an independent rear suspension as well. The Camaro is only a shy bit more powerful than the G8 GT, so it shouldn't be THAT bad. Especially not this 40K crap everyone is spewing. Jeez, just get a lightly used Vette'.
Considerably more powerfuk than the G8 GT, shy more than the GXP. Pontiac has always been priced higher than Chevrolet though, so I wouldnt worry about cost.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #268
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro View Post
Wow, maybe I should buy my car where you live? You can't even get a couple year old used Corvette for $40K here. Want a new Corvette try $65K - $85K. As for a Pony Car in a GT $30K - $38 for a 2009 depending on options. If this can come in to beat the Pony in price all will look good. Even better if it can beat the Dodge Challenger prices.

Oh, and we have a "9%" sales tax!!
everyone in you area must be rich or really stupid......
Z/28orSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #269
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro View Post
Thanks for the "color" side by side. That does help out as I just have an earlier B/W. Now here is a couple questions for my build list. On waiting list for a SS and looking at possible SS/RS, but still need to understand all my options. I am going to take it the one on the left is the LT/RS and the right is the concept.
First, to get the hood vent that it part of the SS package?
Second, are the bottom halo/fog lights the same? Or, just a shadow issue.
Third, what would it take to get the slits by the rear tire? Just a good custom shop? Any chance of getting it put into the car from the factory?
Fourth, that nose on the concept still looks longer. Maybe its that fender turn signal messing it up.
Finally, I played a game with some co-workers to see what is different and the concept stood out to each even though hard for them to figure out why. A couple comments were that the one on the right (concept) looks like a sports car and the left (production) looked like a coupe. Narrowed that idea down to the height of the car. Amazing a difference one inch can make. Have to hate those safety regulations.
Thank you again for your insights into this new car.
No problem... You are correct... the one on the left is a LT/RS and the one on the right is the concept. The hood vent is only available on the SS and the SS/RS. The fog lights are not projector style beams like the concept and they are set in a black plastic ring as opposed to a silver plastic ring like the concept. (That is something that you could always take out and paint yourself if you really prefer the silver paint over the black paint). As for the nose looking longer, if memory serves me correctly I believe the concept and the production are nearly identical in length and width. I think what you are seeing is the wider front side markers they had to use to be street legal as opposed to those slick narrow markers on the concept. As for the air vents, you are sol on getting those from the factory. If you need them opened up you are going to have to talk to your local body shop. On the plus side since they are not open they will not bend the first time some schmuck leans on your car when you are not paying attention since it would be a pretty good trick to make them sturdy given how little metal there is to work with there.

As for your co-workers, I don't know what to tell you there. I do however know that everyone so far that has seen the production next to the concept has commented just how remarkably similar the two look next to each other.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #270
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
everyone in you area must be rich or really stupid......
So you've been to Seattle too!?!

Seriously though, I spent two weeks up there for a job in March last year, and in that two weeks it rained 13 days and I saw 1 suicide and 1 attempted suicide. But then on the other hand it is the only place I have found 20 something blonde women holding up homeless signs on the side of the road. Interesting place to say the least...
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #271
thirteen20z28

Drives: '98 GTP, '94 Caprice 9C1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Big Welcome thirteen20z28!
Thanks gtahvit...been lurking and keeping an eye on the updates for a while, and finally thought I might have some input worth the server space
thirteen20z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #272
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen20z28 View Post
Thanks gtahvit...been lurking and keeping an eye on the updates for a while, and finally thought I might have some input worth the server space
Glad to have you!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #273
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
I havent waded through the dozen pages yet. Forgive me.
But, I have one comment: Thanks, Scott!

(and to the OP).

I appreciate your pictures! (both of you)!

EDIT: PS - the "Christian Slater" TV Silver SS pics WERE of a production SS. Thought so!!! Me Likey!!! (Although mine will NOT be in silver). And, yes -- the more agressive door-sill ground effects that have an obvious delta towards the rear-wheel appear to be SS-Only refinements.

Right????

Either way - I am buying an SS. I like the fact that the lower, larger bumper vent more-closely reflects it's Corvette (Z06) Brethren.

I may be the ONLY one getting this, WITHOUT the HID headlamps. Its GREAT for me. (one man's opinion). <thumbs-up>

Last edited by 2KZ28_For_Now; 08-27-2008 at 12:42 AM.
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 AM   #274
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
If you want a good look at Camaro pricing look at the prices for the Pontiac G8, G8 GT abd G8 GXP. Use the spread, not the base price of the vehicle.
Good point, although as someone else mentioned, Pontiac typically is higher priced. And forget HP... even Scott has said time and again that the Camaro will be priced comparably to the Mustang, which has a LOT less HP than a similarly-trimmed Camaro, certainly less than a similarly-trimmed G8 compared to a Camaro. Not to mention the G8 has four doors instead of two, which has to cost a bit more as well.

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #275
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
NO Z28

why is everyone so worried about weight could someone explain to me why this is such a big deal?
Z/28orSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:18 AM   #276
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
why is everyone so worried about weight could someone explain to me why this is such a big deal?
More weight = slower car. Slower car = , slower to accelerate, slower to turn, slower stop, loses to Mustang and Challenger...

Slower doesn't win the race.

That's why we want it to be as light as possible.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #277
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
More weight = slower car. Slower car = , slower to accelerate, slower to turn, slower stop, loses to Mustang and Challenger...

Slower doesn't win the race.

That's why we want it to be as light as possible.
Exactly..
Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #278
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue

I think the main differences people are seeing when comparing these two come from the fact that the picture isn't taken at the the exact center of the two. The V6 on the left is angled slightly closer to the camera and less front grill is visible. Yes, the roof is taller however since the car is a little closer and the front bumper is angled so you see less grill, it is giving the V6 more of a sideview. I don't understand why the photographer couldn't move him/herself in the right position to take this mirror shot when he/she had the chance.. The larger rims and the 1-inch lower roof does make the concept look more sporty in my opinion however if the same large rims are added to the V6, then it should look very similar. The shadows on the V6 hood aren't as defined which makes the car look different as well. If we could see the hood bump more clearly, it would make the V6 look better as well..

Now we need a similar picture with the V8 SS/RT in a same mirror pose (photographed perfectly center) with the concept. That would be something amazing to compare.

Last edited by Supermans; 08-27-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #279
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
No offense, but if you were "skeptical" at ALL about a price under $40K, you were pretty stupid to begin with. How dumb would you have to be to believe that a Pony car competitor would be sold at the price of a Corvette? Doesn't say much about your intelligence. The base price of the SS is going to under $30k, not even mentioning $40k, and if you're off by a factor of 33% you don't know a lot about cars.

Oh if only everyone was as smart as you pin head BLOCKED! I :troll: Almost every post you have placed on this forum has been negative, disrespectful and antagonistic. Back under the bridge Troll, back under the bridge! SRT8 is 40K+, GT500 40K+, do your research before opening you mouth. Read my sig, its good advice!

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #280
GOT PSI

Drives: SRT-4
Looks nice even without the rs package. I would be very happy with an ss without the rs package.