Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #29
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
This tape has the silver foil on top with what looks like a fiberglass fabric underneath it and then the adhesive. I’ve used it on other applications before and it’s never hurt anything. The most punishment I’ve put it through was on a supercharged Grand Prix where the intake tube was fairly close to the exhaust crossover. That intake tube was the same plastic. I got 200,000+ miles and many track days with no issues. Not a good look for VARARAM if it warps my intake tube.
I don’t think it’ll hurt anything either personally. I was told by Vararam to take the DEI gold tape off of the DRX intake I purchased. He said gold Mylar wouldn’t work on the intake tube because there’s not enough infrared heat or something. Had some other issues with it that weren’t related to the tape (garbage plastic construction and the air box wouldn’t stay in one spot because it’s not mounted to anything) so I sent it back to them for a refund.

Air box was basically a parachute and since it’s not mounted to anything it would overtime cause the tube to slip out of the silicone coupler at the throttle body. Garbage design. Why they wouldn’t incorporate some brackets to mount the air box to the stock mounts is beyond me.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:12 PM   #30
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Is it a Champion Radiator.
DH racing parts. same thing they are identical
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:28 PM   #31
lemontwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Have the same complaints with my Vararam, heat soak, cheap plastic, and my factory rad mounts wouldn't both clear the intake when flipped, only mounted one. Lemontwist looks like in the pics you only have one mount as well? Would have to check my logs but remember the IAT is way over 110° when I set in the staging lanes. Does drop quickly when the car starts moving some air though.

Would be nice to hear how the new radiator works out for others.
yeah the vararam mounting sucks. i am thinking about getting a bolt that has threads all the way. the lock nut they give you shouldn't be to lock it on the core support it should secure the bracket. with full threads i could lock it down. i find it hard to believe they did alot of R+D and they charge 350 for it.
would be awesome if they threw a little more effort into it.
as for the radiator i can't really complain. it fit well and works good.looks like my trans temp is down.my oil gauge in my ls3 took 3 times as long to heat up the l99 gets hot faster for some reason. i believe the stock intake with a different tube and a k+n factory replacement filter is probably the best way to go.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #32
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i believe the stock intake with a different tube and a k+n factory replacement filter is probably the best way to go.
That wouldn’t surprise me at all. I know my old Honda liked that style set up the best. No intake resonator, stock box and tube and a high flow filter. No bog downlow and it pulled great in the mid range.

Now with a cam and heads you’ll need a new intake for sure lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 06-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #33
lemontwist

and here ya go.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRAID-Cold....c100005.m1851

Last edited by lemontwist; 06-20-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #34
2011WhiteSS

Drives: 2011 White 2SS
Log the MAP/MAF/Fuel Trims on the intakes in non Dyno pulls on the street and see which intake give you the best numbers. Which equal increases in horsepower.
You’ll find out the Vararam will win hands down every single time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011WhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #35
lemontwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011WhiteSS View Post
Log the MAP/MAF/Fuel Trims on the intakes in non Dyno pulls on the street and see which intake give you the best numbers. Which equal increases in horsepower.

i get it .i spent over 300 bucks adapting my 2012 to run it,but the abs plastic is not really a good choice of material, for 350 it really should be made out of better material.just saying
Old 06-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #36
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
i get it .i spent over 300 bucks adapting my 2012 to run it,but the abs plastic is not really a good choice of material, for 350 it really should be made out of better material.just saying
Yep. 100% agree on that.

I will try and upload pictures of where mine cracked sometime this weekend.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #37
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
I think they 3D print everything which is probably why the plastic isn’t very robust and takes on a new shape after heat cycling and the million little adjustments needed to fit it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011WhiteSS View Post

I’ve done that and I’d say the Z/28 Intake is very comparable

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 06-21-2020 at 09:50 AM.