Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #71
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr1 View Post
Just got a letter in the mail from State Farm saying if I sign up for the Drive Safe and Save program, I'll get a discount up to 5% for just signing up....BUT, when I read about it more here, they finally say they'd be using my camaro's "OnStar®, In-Drive®, or SYNC®" communication service to collect basic information about my driving. Aghhh....I'm no street racer, but I'm not too crazy about my Insurance company knowing exactly how I like to drive my car. I guess this is one of those things that could totally back-fire in my face! Anyone on here using this yet? ...or would you sign up to save some $$$?
Just like POS snapshot from progressive haha NO DEAL. I love my USAA.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #72
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged Red View Post
They only track your mileage. I get about a $200 a year discount because I drive only 2500 miles a year. And I do Drag race my car on weekends!!!
That is what the security agreement states. The only report State Farm gets from Onstar is on how many miles are driven every month. Now those insurance companies that have the device that plugs into the obd port are collecting a lot more data.

The 5% State Farm discount is the initial discount you get. Then depending on how much you drive a year you could get more.
See this chart.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #73
Supercharged Red

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS A6 Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That is what the security agreement states. The only report State Farm gets from Onstar is on how many miles are driven every month. Now those insurance companies that have the device that plugs into the obd port are collecting a lot more data.

The 5% State Farm discount is the initial discount you get. Then depending on how much you drive a year you could get more.
See this chart.
Thank you for proving what I said!! I did my research on this!!!
472 RWHP 466 RWTQ 12.11 @ 114.3 MPH 1.81 60' Pacific Raceways Kent, WA 6/6/13
Supercharged Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #74
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
I have Drivewise from Allstate on my DD ('13 WRX) and it's saved me some money. All they monitor is speed (can't go over 80), stopping distance, and time of day driving. I can remove the device at any time.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #75
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
If it's only based on annual mileage, then how are they classifying "high risk" driving and "low risk" driving based on annual mileage?

I get a discount for not exceeding 5,000 miles annually on one of my vehicles already, and all I have to do is report the mileage once annually, or whenever they remember to send me the form. This is with State Farm.

On my other vehicle, which I drive more than 25k/year, I don't get a discount.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #76
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Um...............just............................. ..................NO!
Old 10-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #77
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The problem is, the "data usage" only goes "my way" by 5% of my premium in this case. For $30/year State Farm can shove it up their ass given the potential future drawbacks. I'd be more interested if I could lower my premium by 50%.

Insurance companies already punish people who frequently get into accidents with accident surcharges or rate hikes in general. They also punish based on age. In my own case, I was probably a safer driver when I was a kid, in general. I certainly didn't drive as much, when it snowed, I stayed home (wasn't getting up to go to a job on severe weather days) yet I paid 3x the premium, for about a quarter of the insurance coverage.

I don't understand the sympathies to private business in this case. In fact, if they knew how horrible people actually drove, in general, that would be a profit center, charging based on that data alone.
It's 5% discount to SIGN UP. Benefits could be greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
To save you money how? By giving you 5% off your insurance. Let's see, 1 year of on-star is $199. To break even I would have to pay $4,000 a year on a Camaro.
I really can't understand any of your math here. If you don't have OnStar and don't want this, then the cost is 0$. If you already paid for OnStar because you wanted it, than you cannot factor that into your costs as it has been sunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post

See this chart.
Thank you, Angrybird, for actually clicking the link and doing some research before making an comment that's knee-jerk.

Quote:
He proved that you can save significantly more than 5%, and that you, in fact, did not do your research.

Thank you for these posts of irrelevance.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #78
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
If it's only based on annual mileage, then how are they classifying "high risk" driving and "low risk" driving based on annual mileage?

I get a discount for not exceeding 5,000 miles annually on one of my vehicles already, and all I have to do is report the mileage once annually, or whenever they remember to send me the form. This is with State Farm.

On my other vehicle, which I drive more than 25k/year, I don't get a discount.
The high risk and low risk is based on your driving record just as it is on any insurance policy. If you are in the high risk Catagory you are already paying a higher Premimum and you will get less discount. That part has nothing to do with how many miles you drive.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #79
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
Don't be too surprised in a couple of years when the "snapshot" or something like it is required to purchase auto insurance. Whether it's government "safety" regulations or just a money grab by the insurance companies, it will happen.

Bet that this info will be shared around to anyone who wants it for a price. Law enforcement, health insurance, life insurance...

Imagine getting speeding tickets in the mail based on this info. In case you hadn't noticed these companies and the government don't care one little bit about your privacy when there is money to be made.

Of course they will tell you that it's all for the good of the general public and plenty of people will buy into the BS.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #80
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
I really can't understand any of your math here. If you don't have OnStar and don't want this, then the cost is 0$. If you already paid for OnStar because you wanted it, than you cannot factor that into your costs as it has been sunk.
Sorry wasn't meant to insult you. I just have no love loss for State Farm. I had them for 30 years with a good record, no tickets, etc. My wife is a process consultant and worked for the home office for 6 months to help them improve efficiency and eliminate waste. Problem is their culture isn't willing to except change and they continue down the same path. We shortly left them and went to Geico and went from over $4k a year to $2,600 a year same vehicle coverage. I had 6 cars, a motorcycle and two houses insured with them. We were recently rear-ended by a Mack truck and Geico's service was excellent. Not knocking SF on service, just their cost for the same service.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #81
MYBADSS

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Convertible Automatic
I've been with State Farm for years. They have always been great to me. That being said, I'm certainly not going to let anyone look over my shoulder when I drive my Camaro like I stole it. :-)
MYBADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #82
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
Sorry wasn't meant to insult you. I just have no love loss for State Farm. I had them for 30 years with a good record, no tickets, etc. My wife is a process consultant and worked for the home office for 6 months to help them improve efficiency and eliminate waste. Problem is their culture isn't willing to except change and they continue down the same path. We shortly left them and went to Geico and went from over $4k a year to $2,600 a year same vehicle coverage. I had 6 cars, a motorcycle and two houses insured with them. We were recently rear-ended by a Mack truck and Geico's service was excellent. Not knocking SF on service, just their cost for the same service.
For the record, I'm also with Geico.

I'm just a proponent of logic rather than nonsense... forgive me.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #83
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT

Based on that chart.. and doing a little extrapolating... let's see... multiply by x... carry the three... square root of pi... hmmmmm... I could save almost 1/3 of a penny EVERY year, and all I need to do is give up my privacy!

Might work for some, each to his own... I won't knock anybody for doing so. Just not my cup o' Joe!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #84
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
I, too, have been with SF for over 30 years and have no complaints. I have an excellent driving record, no tickets, and have only had two claims in all this time - was not at fault for either one. Obviously, their rates have gone up over the years... whose hasn't? So, every once in a while I will take the time to fill out one of those forms that initiates a "best rate" quote from several other companies. Allstate, Progressive, GEICO, etc... I have even contacted USAA for a quote. NO ONE can even come close to the rates I am getting with State Farm - no contest.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote